The Trent Monster - A fishy tale?

sagalout

Reaction score
Sounds like Binka to me "neck as thick as a man’s waist, and horrible eyes and mouth".

mikench

Reaction score
Nothing like him at all! Binka is svelte, charming, debonair , good looking and very convivial;) When are we going out trotting Steve?:wh

sagalout

Reaction score
I think a bro-mance is in the air. Barbel Back Mountain. Mike the 'enchman known to solicit for a living surreptitiously leaves home at 3 in the morning to meet with Binka the Breaker, well established bachelor, for a pre arranged rendezvous.

Now Mike the 'enchman is proposing they go trotting together. Is Mrs 'enchman aware of the situation.

Tune in next week to find out if Binka the Breaker gave Mike the 'enchman a hearty sausage.

mikench

Reaction score
So do I!:eek: Mutual respect has to be earned Mr Lout and as far as I am concerned Binka is a gentleman and a scholar!:rolleyes:

Anyone who shows me how to catch 5 barbel is a jolly good egg in my view!;)

I have told the wife all about Binka so nah nah de nah nah! If I'm happy so is she! I wouldn't mind a trip to the Wye!:rolleyes:

B

binka

What possessed you to post that Steve!!!:cool::rolleyes::D

I found it on a local history site and thought it was quite funny given the rumours of unseen Trent monsters which abound to this day.

I suspect the present day rumours are largely down to big catfish and can vouch for that on at least one occasion but I just thought it was funny that folk were pulling each other's legs way back then :D

mikench

Reaction score

sagalout

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about being ready, Graham will put you in a swim and tell you how to fish it.

flightliner

Reaction score
Great story Steve, not heard of that one before, any chance you can look up the piks of the huge sturgeon that was put on display at carlton (the tidal carlton not the nottingham one)for tuppence a look , It was shot by a farmer from muskham bridge I believe and was found a day or two later in the tidal river having gone over the weir at cromwell.

B

binka

Great story Steve, not heard of that one before, any chance you can look up the piks of the huge sturgeon that was put on display at carlton (the tidal carlton not the nottingham one)for tuppence a look , It was shot by a farmer from muskham bridge I believe and was found a day or two later in the tidal river having gone over the weir at cromwell.

I will have a look into it Mick and let you know if I find anything, it's not a story I've ever heard but it sounds interesting :)

flightliner

Reaction score
I have a cutting somewhere but god knows where it is.
Some three or four years ago I reported a pod of some six harbour porpoise to the advertiser that came past me one day a mile or so below cromwell. First I knew was a hearing a snorting sound and looking round was amazed to see them heading upstream, I videod them on my old phone that was repaired a while later after I dropped it but it cost me a shed load of piks and a few vids.
Amasing isnt it, so near to Newark, about as far from the sea as you can get in england.
The river was alive with fish of all kinds avoiding them, otters 7ncluded I would imagine lol.

B

binka

I have a cutting somewhere but god knows where it is.
Some three or four years ago I reported a pod of some six harbour porpoise to the advertiser that came past me one day a mile or so below cromwell. First I knew was a hearing a snorting sound and looking round was amazed to see them heading upstream, I videod them on my old phone that was repaired a while later after I dropped it but it cost me a shed load of piks and a few vids.
Amasing isnt it, so near to Newark, about as far from the sea as you can get in england.
The river was alive with fish of all kinds avoiding them, otters 7ncluded I would imagine lol.

I remember your post about the porpoise Mick.

Barely a couple of miles further upriver from the weir I sat one summer's evening in a clearing between two overhanging trees which meant my field of view was significantly impaired and for a good twenty minutes I could hear the sound of fish breaking the surface as they travelled upriver.

They got nearer and nearer until half a dozen or so Salmon worked their way past me, barley two rod lengths out.

A real sight to behold...

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
So do I!:eek: Mutual respect has to be earned Mr Lout and as far as I am concerned Binka is a gentleman and a scholar!:rolleyes:

Anyone who shows me how to catch 5 barbel is a jolly good egg in my view!;)

I have told the wife all about Binka so nah nah de nah nah! If I'm happy so is she! I wouldn't mind a trip to the Wye!:rolleyes:

Totally agree -he is a good egg, a truly good egg. He knows full well I'm taking the mick and that I do it cos he's such a good angler.....:)

Regarding the Wye, I loved it and I reckon you would too.

B

binka

C'mon now fellas that's the third cheque I've had to write out tonight.

It's a shame I've got no stamps... :wh ;) :D