advice : deep hooked fish

wrighty64

Reaction score
evening ive just started fishing a new venue and keep deep hooking the ide/roach(also plenty of tench) im on a 13ft match rod 4.2 lb line and 14 hook to 3.2lb sweetcorn for bait and 3 or 4 bb waggler the indications are slight so letting float movement be positive ending in deep hooking which i am getting out with forceps
any ideas
thanks

john step

Reaction score
How deep is deep as forceps seem a bit big to go deep, whereas most seem to go for a disgorger.

Are you fishing with a lot of line on the bottom, because if that was less and the tell tale shot was correct you would see float movement.

You are using a tell tale shot I presume?

wrighty64

Reaction score
thanks john the forceps are very small used for stitching wounds and only use em after trying disgorger im using a no8 around 3 inches from hook and thought i had plumbed right but will look into it when on venue again

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
You could increase the tell tale shot size to a 6. Or try the lift method for the tench. No doubt about float movement then!

mats

Reaction score
It's on of those things where you have got to just keep altering things down below until you hit on a solution, it's often instinct that will sort out these type of issues. The obvious things to work with are placing and size of the tell tale shot, off the bottom or over depth, hook size and how the bait is hooked, single or double bait,bait choice it could even be solved by where you cast in relation to where you feed. A classic response to deep hooking would be to move your tell-tale closer to the hook but at 3 inches its already pretty close so next maybe fish dead depth or off bottom.

Terry D

Reaction score
Also use a Slammo disgorger. I wouldn't be without one for deep hooked fish, especially eels.

Mark Salt

Reaction score
The advice for eels has always been that if the hook cannot be seen then cut the line and return the fish. All of the eels vital organs are situated at the back of the head, and wiggling a hook around with a disgorger is likely to cause damage to the fish.