Hook to nylon lifespan?

richard280166

Reaction score
I am returning from a 8 year break :( from fishing and am going through my gear which was safely packed away in the loft. I had accumulated lots of unused packets of hook to nylons - will these be OK to use or will they be past their best - it won't cost a lot to get some new but I'm loath to just get rid, which is a bit of a waste. I am probably going to refresh my line as this will have been used... Any advice would be appreciated.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Nylon mono's funny stuff - sometimes it lasts for years without losing strength, and at other times it can snap like cotton when less than a season old.

I've got into the habit of gently testing any line or hooklength before use and sometimes I'm glad I have, as I would have otherwise suffered a lot of unexpected breakages by now.

Only one way to be sure, and that's to give 'em a stretch...

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience it seems to vary significantly. Some lines seem to last indefinitely, others don't last well at all. The biggest problem I've encountered has actually due to pressure on the packets in storage. Line being pressed on top of other line seems to give some horrendous kinks and weak spots.

Reaction score
I tie all my own hooklinks,if something goes it's my fault so I make sure it's right(couldn't stand the rollocking i'd give myself,stroppy sod)...;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
AS has already been said, just try testing each one as you go use it...I do that with any I make up myself anyhow.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't take the chance and I probably wouldn't feel comfortable anyway. For the sake of a few bob I would buy new as I couldn't see the point of having new main line and an a 8 year old hook length.
If you're thinking of taking up again seriously you might consider tying your own and buying a range of hooks online can be cheap enough if you look around....

Imagine bringing a huge roach or chub to the net only to see it disappear into the depths with your hook attached........Would you be gutted, or what??

richard280166

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to ditch them - they wont cost a fortune to replace, but could cost a fish.

rayner

Reaction score
Cut the line off and retie. If you don't trust them.
Having said that I have hooks that I've tied myself for a good few years in hook wallets that I have every confidence in.
I believe if mono is kept in the dark it doesn't degrade so quick.

john step

Reaction score
Very wise to ditch the lot after 8 years in a loft. The loft would have been dark but if its anything like mine it gets very hot in summer. Who knows what that has done to the mono.

I have line on bulk spools that has been kept safe for ages but that has been in the dark and in the constant cool temperature of an internal garage.