compact travel match rod.

trotter2

Reaction score
Just putting the feelers out anyone recommended a good multi section 12 to 13 foot match float rod.
Any make as long as its decent and preferably balanced, the more compact the better.
Cheers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just putting the feelers out anyone recommended a good multi section 12 to 13 foot match float rod.
Any make as long as its decent and preferably balanced, the more compact the better.
Cheers

I think i'd be looking at the Youngs travel rods, i've heard some good reports on them and you can get them for reasonable prices.

B

binka

I had the float only version of this for many years...

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/greys-prodigy-tx-12ft-rova-plus-rod

The 'plus' in the link just has an extra quiver tip but it's a belting rod for a six piece, fun and friendly with silvers and capable of handling barbel and you'll soon forget it's a travel rod.

I ebayed mine a few months ago as it just wasn't getting the use and it went like a hot cake!

trotter2

Reaction score
Trigger I had one of those a few years back if the design has not changed I would not recommend them . The blank is a decent enough action but the rods weigh a ton.
I had the 5 piece travel and I also had the three piece version, got rid on ebay as I found them to heavy to use for long periods.
The 3 piece version is the same blank as the Rovex john wilson Nottingham cast with different guides on. I know this because I had one of those as well at one point and could compare like with like.
The blank walls are very thick making them heavy but they have a fast tip action
It's just the weight is a major issue IMO.

The greys rod reading a few comments from years ago looks to have got good feed back:thumbs:
I will keep a look out for one

Cheers you two lads and thanks for the replays.
Much appreciated :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trigger I had one of those a few years back if the design has not changed I would not recommend them . The blank is a decent enough action but the rods weigh a ton.
I had the 5 piece travel and I also had the three piece version, got rid on ebay as I found them to heavy to use for long periods.
The 3 piece version is the same blank as the Rovex john wilson Nottingham cast with different guides on. I know this because I had one of those as well at one point and could compare like with like.
The blank walls are very thick making them heavy but they have a fast tip action
It's just the weight is a major issue IMO.

The greys rod reading a few comments from years ago looks to have got good feed back:thumbs:
I will keep a look out for one

Cheers you two lads and thanks for the replays.
Much appreciated :thumbs:

Well if you've had one an didn't like it then that rules them out. Youngs have brought a new range out though, have you seen those? There's always a possibility they've improved them but then again maybe not.
I would imaging you'd be better to have a slightly heavier/more robust rod for traveling so maybe that's why they've made then that way?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Check out the Shakespeare Agility EXP (expedition) rods, Chapmans have them on sale at silly prices at the moment. I have the 4 piece 13 foot match rod and you would be really hard pushed to tell it from a standard 2 or 3 piece rod. Nice crisp action, you could trot as easily as you could Stillwater fish on it, I took it to cornwall on holiday in May and had everything from tiny roach all the way up to carp up to ten pounds.... it handled it all beautifully. Yes, it is a touch heavier than the Daiwa Aqualite or Shaky Mach 3 that I also use, but not in an overbalanced way if that makes sense?

I am seriously considering getting the 11 foot feeder rod for my lad, for general use and taking on holiday

swizzle

Reaction score
Check out the Shakespeare Agility EXP (expedition) rods, Chapmans have them on sale at silly prices at the moment. I have the 4 piece 13 foot match rod and you would be really hard pushed to tell it from a standard 2 or 3 piece rod. Nice crisp action, you could trot as easily as you could Stillwater fish on it, I took it to cornwall on holiday in May and had everything from tiny roach all the way up to carp up to ten pounds.... it handled it all beautifully. Yes, it is a touch heavier than the Daiwa Aqualite or Shaky Mach 3 that I also use, but not in an overbalanced way if that makes sense?

I am seriously considering getting the 11 foot feeder rod for my lad, for general use and taking on holiday

Jim, how small a case does this rod pack in to?