Blast from the past

Chevin

Reaction score
I was copying my slides to a memory stick the other day and I came across this picture taken many years ago when I could face the conditions shown. I am sure that many members here will recognise the angler.

oxxvUP.jpg

B

binka

I think it might be a bit before my time but I like the picture.

Wild guess...

Peter Stone?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes. My thought as well. Peter Stone. And I still have some of his tackle in the shed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, another vote for the gentleman that was Peter Stone . . . .

He obviously loved his tea on a cold day . . .

What a sad loss to angling he was

nottskev

Reaction score
I read one of his books from the library as a schoolboy. It was about catching Thames bream. I was so inspired I went fishing for bream on my local river. I only realised later it didn't contain any, so that didn't end well. But I still remember the approach he advocated.

Chevin

Reaction score
Peter Stone, I would guess the river is the Ouse?

Yes, Peter Stone on the Upper Ouse. I don't know if any of us caught anything that day though. Guessing from memory I would say that the Taylor brothers were also there that day.

It was in conditions like that that FJT said to **** Walker, "I will be glad when I have had enough of this"

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a belting demonstration as to why we often talk at odds over the gear required for river tactics. I guess that most would have that pegged as the upper reaches of a medium sized river. It couldn't be more different to the upper reaches of my local medium sized river if it tried. I'd be happy to tackle that with daft little stick floats and leads of no more than an ounce. I'll look to dig out a picture sometime, but perhaps those that have fished the upper reaches of a Dales river will confirm the huge differences.

Chevin

Reaction score
It's a belting demonstration as to why we often talk at odds over the gear required for river tactics. I guess that most would have that pegged as the upper reaches of a medium sized river. It couldn't be more different to the upper reaches of my local medium sized river if it tried. I'd be happy to tackle that with daft little stick floats and leads of no more than an ounce. I'll look to dig out a picture sometime, but perhaps those that have fished the upper reaches of a Dales river will confirm the huge differences.

This is a more typical picture of the Upper Great Ouse during the summer. This swim is a little up stream from where I photographed Pete.

6qHUJY.jpg

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ah yes, that's a bit more like it....Sort of a 'Jerry' type river!

I don't know what constitutes the 'Upper' Ouse but I spent many happy days at Holywell where a chap ferried us across to the opposite bank from the 'pub' in a very small boat (late 50's?). A long, long time ago but the river was very narrow at that point. I recall the same chap also thatched houses with the produce coming from the river....One of the best roach/dace parts of the river IMO. Throw a handful of hemp in and you could see dozens and dozens of fish chasing the seeds. Happy days!

Studying the original photo I was amazed at the lack of any form of cover, with not a tree in sight. Deep winter, but you'd expect to see a few trees/bushes even if devoid of greenery.
Choice of swim; I can see he is just below a bend and maybe that is the reason for his choice??

I still read his books which are packed with top info that is still relevant today. For me a proper fisherman who braved every condition to catch quality fish and this he did in spades. I'm not too sure, that although very well known, he never quite achieved the status of Walker, but that probably due to that 'carp'.

Lovely photo though, and good to hear from someone who actually knew him well, so thanks for that..

ps That could be my old chair he's using - a favourite of the day, not to mention the striped flask!!

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
looks like the flood defence teams were well funded back then