Alternative hook for Kamasan 983

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I have just joined a new club and all barbed hooks even those with crushed or filed down barbs are banned.
I need an alternative to the fine wired and always very sharp, Kamasan 983 eyed hook which I use for worm, small dead baits, prawns and meat baits.

Any sugestions?

B

binka

I always use a B911 for worm which has a wider gape, they do a standard and 'X' version that is heavier wire.

I'm thinking the standard would be ok but not sure how important the fine wire is in the grand scheme of your needs.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Many thanks for your prompt reply, the 911s don't seem to be produced in larger than size 8 and I would need a hook up to size 4 for larger baits such a worms and king prawns.
Most of the larger hooks seem to be made from heavier wire, with the specimen carp market in mind and I will be pursuing large perch and tench. I would prefer something less suited to hanging a side of beef on!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Good day to you Mr W, long time no speak.

Kamasan Animal Barbless might fit the bill.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Mr W?
I've been called some things in the past, but you seem to be confusing me with someone else. PM perhaps?
The Kamasan Animal only seem to go up to size 8 as well.

B

binka

Up to size 4 I use Drennan Specimen, or occasionally a Korda which is far heavier.

I can't help thinking there's a conflict going on between the large hook size and the need for a fine wire?

Not knocking it mind, you know your requirements well enough but once I get up to those size of baits a stronger hook is more of an asset to me than a liability, where perch are concerned I deliberately avoid fine wire hooks altogether.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for your help I have decided to go with the Drennan Specimen Barbless hooks.
Binka, whilst I understand what you mean I have used the 983 sucessfully for years and the faith I have in them is not easily replaced.

Tight lines to you all.