Dangling Elastic

bracket

Reaction score
Some pole advice please, if your able, Gentlemen. I regularly fish the pole but by no means am I a "Pole Expert". One of the club still waters I fish is stuffed with silver fish, which suits me ideally, however there is also a large head of carp (fancy that) which I try to avoid, mainly by fishing the featureless open water pegs. Inevitably they will turn up despite my best efforts to discourage them. In order to give myself the chance of landing a carp and not getting my rig wrecked, but also not to bump off the silvers, I use a 14 elastic set with absolute minimum tension. This is OK but I do have the annoying issue of the elastic not returning fully into the pole after landing a carp or decent silver. It's not a problem, just a pain and not very professional. I have tried different "over the counter" lubricants but found nothing that works 100%. Way back, in my Home Town, to overcome this we did use a two elastic rig, 8 elastic joined to the 14 by a Stonfo. The 8 was connected to the bottom bung in the top two, then an modified intermediate bung fitted in to the bottom of the top section, through which the 14 elastic passed and on out of the top of the pole to the rig connector. The idea was that you played the silvers off the 8 elastic, but should you hit anything bigger then the 8 elastic stretched until the connecting stonfo hit the intermediate bung, you were then playing the fish off the 14 elastic. It worked alright, but was a lot of frigging about and personally I was never happy with the system. Anyway I digress, any suggestions as to how I can prevent elastic "dangle" without increasing the tension? Pete.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Happens to me too Pete, it's annoying innit! I think it's because the laccy is sticking to the inside wall of the topkit due to moisture.
Sometimes I can remedy it by holding my hook in one hand and ducking the end of the topkit underwater and stretching the laccy, sometimes that makes it go back inside..
Failing that I just increase the tension...

sagalout

Reaction score
When fishing open water I use an 8 elastic, 4lb main line and 2lb 10oz bottom and an 18 or 20 hook. I normally manage to land the intrusive carp and don't bump the silvers.

nottskev

Reaction score
The dangling elastic is a pain, I agree.

To accommodate the silver fish plus carp range of fish, it seems most of the match anglers use softish elastic and a puller set up so you can shorten the elastic in play and not spend all day waiting for carp to come in netting range. But I don't go down that route, and you may not fancy it either.

The best I've come up with for that mix of fish is to use a doubled length of softer elastic. The elastic is fed through the stonfo, fed back on itself and knotted at the bung. It seems an odd thing to do at first, but having used it for a couple of years, I've found it really lives up the claims made for it - that it comes out quite easily at first, keeping your smaller fish on the hook, but powers up quite quickly when a bigger fish stretches it further. I've found a medium length works best, and I use it in top kits that are 4' 6". You can try it with various elastics to see how it suits your fishing. I use either doubled 4, 5 or 6. Even the 4 - the Slip flouro has proved durable and strong- is surprisingly effective for carp and tench of a couple of pounds, and the 6 has got some double figure fish out. But better in open water than near snags. You can afford to tension it more than your 14, and it will still come out sweetly for smaller fish.

Steve Ringer enthuses about doubled elastic here:

YouTube

Another thing that helps is to use a winder bung rather than on ordinary one, so you can wrap a couple of turns of elastic round it if it gets overstretched or sticky. Mind you, you have to remember to take the extractor rod with you so you can fish the bung out.

bracket

Reaction score
The best I've come up with for that mix of fish is to use a doubled length of softer elastic. The elastic is fed through the stonfo, fed back on itself and knotted at the bung.

Thanks for the link nottskev. Never tried double elastic, seems like it may be what I need. I will give it a go with 6 elastic as most of the carp are on or around double figures. Pete.

Reaction score
How big are the carp you're trying not to catch? Unless they are thirty pounders a number 14 elastic seems excessive, especially if you are choosing open water swims. As others have said, use a lighter elastic and either fit a puller bung or double the elastic. I landed a 23lb mirror this summer on a single strand of number 8 elastic with a puller bung - and if I can do it, anyone can. If your carp are smaller - say up to ten pounds - a number 6 is plenty.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I don't think you can do much to cure your problem with the set up you are using.
You say the elastic is under minimum tension so i think it will hang out of the pole as soon as a good size fish is hooked and landed.
Personally i would try using a softer elastic set a bit tighter with a puller bung.
A 14 sounds a bit strong for silvers to me which is what you are after.
Good luck with whatever you try as i am sure we have all had this problem at one time or another.

rubio

Reaction score
Recently put a doubled no. 3 through 2 sections which stretches well, and returns, and also coped with carp to 5lbs. Going the other way I also use much heavier hollow elastic which is ok for most silvers, but you wouldn't want to trust to it in a match. Especially with barbless hooks.
My other approach is to use fine hooklengths of 1lb or less on a whip, and the bothersome carp are very often on their way before they realise they're hooked. Not sure whether you favour stonfo connectors, but I think I get less 'droop' with lighter dacron connectors. Might just be my imagination tho.

bracket

Reaction score
Not sure whether you favour stonfo connectors, but I think I get less 'droop' with lighter dacron connectors. Might just be my imagination tho.[/QUOTE]

I always use a crowsfoot. The 14 elastic I use is hollow and is quite forgiving. Thanks for all the input folks, it is appreciated. Pete

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
To cure the elastic from hanging out of the pole.
I use winder bungs to allow for tensioning.
Once the elastic has been put in the pole stretch it fully to bottom it out, then make sure the bung at the bottom of the pole is pushed up tightly.
Then it's just a case of altering the tension until it's just right. just make sure the bung is pushed back up every time it's removed.

If you don't stretch the elastic or push the bung up the top kit then whilst playing a bigger fish the elastic will not fully retract and the bung will slide up the pole a little.

Sounds a little drawn out to explain but it's simple to do.
A 14 elastic sounds a little on the heavy side to me but even an heavier grade still needs the same treatment.