Newbie float question

simon-jack

Reaction score
I get the purpose of some types of floats and their relation to buoyancy and wind and surface tow

But when you purchase a pack of crystal waggler floats (mixed size) what are the benefits of the different sizes please?

I've tried a loaded waggler with little success on the river and found it trickier to shot correctly. I then tried a small peacock straight float and found it easier to shot up as was more straight forward, and then succeeded in catching.

Just wondering to purchase a cheap pack for a range of size if there's a worthwhile benefit

rich66

Reaction score
I'm probably wrong but I use the shorter lighter ones closer in, and if it's not too windy. Then use the longer heavier ones further out/deeper water or if the surface of the water is a bit choppy.
Hardly ever use loaded waggler type and as a new angler you might find the slightly heavier floats easier to cast. I also prefer inset waggler type as I believe there is less resistance when the fish bite, especially for shy biting or smaller fish.

On the odd occasion I fish a river I prefer to use the stick type floats

sam vimes

Reaction score
Generally speaking, a longer float will be used for deeper water. The heavier the float, the longer the cast. However, a heavy, more buoyant, float can also be useful in rough conditions or with bigger baits.

A significant number of wagglers commonly available in many tackle shops are aimed squarely at stillwaters and especially commie fishing, where an awful lot of their customers will be going. Finding floats for the more extreme or less popular venues and rivers can be a little hit and miss.

Reaction score
I'm afraid there is no short answer to your question,you could write a book on waggler fishing and even then it would be based on personal opinions and would be argued against,just to say I carry around 130 wagglers in my seat box and many are one trick ponies,but needed IMO.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I use drennan loaded wagglers a fair bit, generally they need little shot so trying to lock them is awkward with small shot leaving little for down the line. the ideal thing then is to use drennan rubber float or grippa stops to lock the float leaving the rest of the shot to put down the line.

I prefer that to using AAA's and SS shot for locking the float because of line damage sliding the float.

Keith M

Reaction score
This is how I choose and fish wagglers on relatively shallowish stillwaters or very slow flowing rivers and canals; which should help get you started:.

I use straight wagglers whenever possible or if I need to cast tight up to lilies at a distance or the far bank I will often use 'semi' loaded bodied wagglers and not feather my line as the float lands.
NB: loaded wagglers are a no no as they are just too heavy and insensitive unless I'm going to be Carp fishing on a prolific commercial of course.

The size of waggler that I use is largely down to the distance I wish to cast and the floats shotting capacity. I will usually fish a float size which will cast fairly easily to the distance I want to fish but at the same time keep it as small as is necessary to retain sensitivity.

Wind and surface tow:
If I am fishing in a lot of surface drift on a stillwater I will tend to use a longer float with a body which is set low and with the bulk shot moved down to around just over half depth which enables the undertow (which will usually be travelling in the opposite direction to the surface drift) to act against the bulk shot and the floats body underneath the surface tow to slow down or stop (or in rare cases even travel upwind against the surface tow).
In more extreme cases I will also fish overdepth with at least one shot resting on the bottom which will act as an anchor.
I will also sink my line under the surface to prevent the surface drift affecting my line and putting a bow in my line.

NB: For faster flowing rivers and streams then I will tend to use floats fitted top and bottom like Stickfloats, Avons or Balsas because wagglers will just slip under water every time the hook touches the bottom or whenever the line is mended; but that's another subject and my IPad battery is starting to go flat Lol.

But here's how I usually shot my top and bottom floats on a river or stream:

Hope this helps you.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
A day watching someone like 'silvers'(Alex Graham),or better still him or someone of a similar ilk watching you would answer a multitude of questions,it is simple,but difficult to do if you don't know the basic principles,I wish you well and envy you those flashing moments of realisation,when you get it right...☺