A question for the centrepin users.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I find that I'm spending less time on stillwaters than I might (I don't tend to fish stillwater with pins) and I tend to avoid conditions that are awkward for centrepin trotting on the river. I'll also pick individual pegs that are more conducive for pin use.

How many of you find yourself picking venues, pegs and conditions with using your centrepin(s) in mind?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find that I'm spending less time on stillwaters than I might (I don't tend to fish stillwater with pins) and I tend to avoid conditions that are awkward for centrepin trotting on the river. I'll also pick individual pegs that are more conducive for pin use.

How many of you find yourself picking venues, pegs and conditions with using your centrepin(s) in mind?

Not really much point in me saying, you know my answer ;).

The only time I use my pins on still waters is spring and early summer when targeting tench. I use them for both float fishing and float legering/legering but it's gott'a be on the right waters otherwise a FS is the better option.

Forget to say....you've gone pin mad! :).

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm an occasional rather than habitual user. I use one for trotting on river swims that have good pace and depth very close in, just to make everything that much easier, and where the pace helps overcome the winds that get up on the local big, exposed river.

I use one for perch on a smaller river, in nearside swims with canal-pace where you are holding a float back or just letting it slowly go through. In these circumstances you have time to feed line from the reel comfortably because it's all happening slowly.

Before I unwisely gave up one club ticket with super water, I used one when wading to the edge of a 4' fast glide and fishing for barbel with heavy floats, 5 or 6 g, and meat on the hook. The pace and heavy float made it easy.

But mostly I use mine for close-in stillwater fishing, just for the pleasure of it

Under less favourable conditions than those, or when I have to go any further out, I don't even consider using one.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Allways thought of a center pin for close in float fishing but I have a feeling it's recipe for tangles for me .

Don't you cast them different on still waters to flowing water ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Since getting my cheapo pin I have used it for all of my Stillwater fishing just because I now prefer to use it instead of a FS, no idea why just enjoy using it.

I do now look for swims where I can use it such as places with enough room to cast with it but then I look if I can use a 13ft rod as well, low trees negate both choices for me.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Since getting my cheapo pin I have used it for all of my Stillwater fishing just because I now prefer to use it instead of a FS, no idea why just enjoy using it.

I do now look for swims where I can use it such as places with enough room to cast with it but then I look if I can use a 13ft rod as well, low trees negate both choices for me.
How do you cast it ? I realise you have to stop the spool as the float lands but guess you flick the ratchet on if left on rests to stop you getting tangled and line coming off the spool . But can you cast overhead or is it just a sideways flick ?

B

binka

I will use a pin whenever i can....stillwater or running and often use one when I really shouldn't. I just love using them.

This pretty much sums up my feelings too.

During the last couple of years I've barely used anything else, even when tip and small feeder fishing where the range permits and i'll sometimes avoid what would be a better method over a greater distance just so I can use a 'pin.

It wouldn't really bother me that much if someone took all my fs reels off me, I would barely notice now.

I just wish I had more good quality 'pins so that I could also use them for my pike fishing without having to faff about changing line strengths.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Pulling line from rings ? Sorry don't quite get what you mean .

B

binka

Pulling line from rings ? Sorry don't quite get what you mean .

It's a crude diagram but imagine you're holding the lines with your fingers where they all meet, after pulling the loops from between the rings...

413549417.jpg

Just swing, flick or however you wish to cast and release the loops which will allow some distance without having to Wallis cast which I wouldn't want to do on a stillwater anyway as it's best performed standing...

I think?

You can get decent distance just with this if you think that an arms length pull of line will be at least 4', there are two lengths for each loop giving 8' and three loops will give you 24' but I'm sure I pull bigger loops as my comfortable range is around three rod lengths distance.

It's even easier when slider fishing as you can dangle the float a good 8' off the rod tip which is adding to the distance and when it lands you just let the 'pin spin as the weight drops so it's settling without pulling the rig back to you...

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks I understand it now and now I see why you see some anglers underarm casting like this even with a fixed spool reel .

Now hunt for a pin but what one and do I need a clutch ?

But I also think i need a float rod that's softer any recomdations mainly fish for tench and carp

sam vimes

Reaction score

There are only a very few pins that have a genuine clutch (drag) which is intended to be used when playing a fish. Most centrepin anglers give them a wide berth anyway. Whether you need a micro drag comes down to your intended use. They can be useful, but aren't essential. If all you do is fish stillwaters, I'd suggest that it may not even be useful.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks I understand it now and now I see why you see some anglers underarm casting like this even with a fixed spool reel .

But I also think i need a float rod that's softer any recomdations mainly fish for tench and carp

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I also think i need a float rod that's softer any recomdations mainly fish for tench and carp.....

Hi Matt,
I think that's 2 more questions really - Is the rod intended for Tench OR Carp:
- For fish 5 - 12lb
- OR 10 - 40lb ?
You'll be very lucky to find one that'll be perfect for both! :eek:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
I think that's 2 more questions really - Is the rod intended for Tench OR Carp:
- For fish 5 - 12lb
- OR 10 - 40lb ?
You'll be very lucky to find one that'll be perfect for both! :eek:
Sorry I meant mainly small to medium carp most below 16lb, been float fishing using a Avon rod but get hook pulls j guess being too stiff .

Or would be better for a rod for tench , crucians , bream etc then use the Avon for carp ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
- And on another thread too! :eek:
This is in danger of getting so way off-topic - you know how these 'pinners can get ! :eek::D:D:D

I've never cared where threads go, a long as they go somewhere. If they do get diverted, it's nice if the do get back on topic further down the line.