design your own centrepin

trotter2

Reaction score
As a follow on from the other thread.
How would you design your own personal centrepin.
We all are in agreement the perfect centrepin does not exist so what would your designer pin consist off?
Mine would be a spoked reel true pin, with a solid drum, no line lays.
A lever ratchet, a spool regulator that works efficiently.
4 to 4.5" dia a suppose a reel much like a match aerial slightly deeper spool arbour.
40 yrs and still looking ?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
1) 4.5" minimum diameter. 5" is fine provided that the reel doesn't end up excessively flabby.
2) Not too heavy, not too light. Around the 10-11oz mark, or slightly more.
3) Solid arbour (or at least solid ventilated). Line lays aren't a deal breaker, but they must be robust and the more the merrier.
4) Rim mounted lever action ratchet. Other forms of rim(ish) mounted switches are acceptable, but not anything designed to be ambidextrous.
5) True pin, no ball bearing races, but it's not a deal breaker.
6) Spoked to allow "finger through" retrieve, but not necessarily thin brass spokes.
7) No rivet construction, or at least minimal rivet use.
8) Line guard, but not a fixed/integral one.
9) Some form of micro-drag would be a bonus, but not absolutely essential whilst I possess a working thumb.
10) A full plate on the back of the spool, to cover the pin and ratchet mechanism would be a bonus.

Sounds like the result of an illicit affair between a Match Aerial and a Kingpin.

trotter2

Reaction score
Sorry Sam should be a like mate these buttons are too close together.
We are not too far away with the design mate very similar.
The nearest I have seen was a true pin trotter only missing a solid arbour.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i'd design something different from the norm, maybe a square one with one line lay on each corner for minimum weight and to keep manufacturing costs down. I'd have it ventilated all round the nice square sides and one bespoke handle situated in the centre, a handle similar to the ones you see on butter churns/barrels or hosepipe holders. I'd have it 12inch square for a fast retrieve and also to make it easy to work out how much line I was winding on to my masterpiece. I'd load it with high quality low diameter floating crab line because crab line must be very abrasion resistant if crabs can't cut through it....jobs a good 'un :).

smudger172

Reaction score
here is one i made earlier.. made from some off cuts from lewis hamilton F1 car. so should be capable of 200 mph..
the brass reel seat and handles are now made from titanium so a bit lighter.
only used it for drifting a pike vane...

smudger172-albums-fish-picture3944-20130829-151734-a.jpg

thecrow

Reaction score
here is one i made earlier.. made from some off cuts from lewis hamilton F1 car. so should be capable of 200 mph..
the brass reel seat and handles are now made from titanium so a bit lighter.
only used it for drifting a pike vane...

smudger172-albums-fish-picture3944-20130829-151734-a.jpg

Joking apart I am surprised that manufactures of pins haven't used carbon to make one, it all seems to be aluminium what type though.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
1) 4.5" minimum diameter. 5" is fine provided that the reel doesn't end up excessively flabby.
2) Not too heavy, not too light. Around the 10-11oz mark, or slightly more.
3) Solid arbour (or at least solid ventilated). Line lays aren't a deal breaker, but they must be robust and the more the merrier.
4) Rim mounted lever action ratchet. Other forms of rim(ish) mounted switches are acceptable, but not anything designed to be ambidextrous.
5) True pin, no ball bearing races, but it's not a deal breaker.
6) Spoked to allow "finger through" retrieve, but not necessarily thin brass spokes.
7) No rivet construction, or at least minimal rivet use.
8) Line guard, but not a fixed/integral one.
9) Some form of micro-drag would be a bonus, but not absolutely essential whilst I possess a working thumb.
10) A full plate on the back of the spool, to cover the pin and ratchet mechanism would be a bonus.

Sounds like the result of an illicit affair between a Match Aerial and a Kingpin.

Sounds good to me. Maybe a bit lighter but not if that meant a ventilated/cut away back plate.

And no drag thanks...just a ratchet is fine and I totally agree it must be a lever and rim mounted. Not bothered about a line guard.

In a nice gunmetal grey colour.

robtherake

Reaction score
Joking apart I am surprised that manufactures of pins haven't used carbon to make one, it all seems to be aluminium what type though.

Carbon-backed, perhaps. A carbon splinter in the thumb during battle don't bear thinking about.:eek:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A Trudex, but expanded to 4 1/4", keeping the same arbour depth and micro-drag.
Widen the spool to about 3/4 of an inch, veneer the back with wood or even an insulating plastic, for comfort in the cold, and make the check switch a big, fat slider, running up and down the centre of the back-plate, so it can be easily reached by a finger of the rod-hand, whichever handedness.
Stick with an ordinary pawl, but make sure it is easy to turn (at home) to select handedness.
Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to embiggen the spool release lever so it doesn't break fingernails or need scratchy tools to operate.
Anodised matt black or dark olive finish.

Handles removable by Allen key, a couple of smooth holes in the front for dialling/twiddling, and plugs for said holes so you can put the handles on and fish using gloopy groundbait without getting it in the works.

The case to be velcro-fastened with enough spare flap-length to be used on-rod as well, with a secure pocket (and box) for Allen key, handles,line-guard and screws and finger-hole plugs, (and plenty of keep-at-home spares to be included in the package).
Another pocket containing a small bottle for oil and with space for a few drying/cleaning tissues and q-tips wouldn't go amiss, either.

greenie62

Reaction score
....Another pocket containing a small bottle for oil and with space for a few drying/cleaning tissues and q-tips wouldn't go amiss, either.

Good idea Al, but the packaging for the reel has got so extensive that it might be worth adding a seat and backrest too!:):eek:mg:

trotter2

Reaction score
Forgot to add all my features made by okuma for 50 quid.:D;)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Alan

A little off topic but I have used these for about 9 months , fit nicely over a centre pin when your rod is set up

Fishing Reel Cover Fishing Reel Pouch Spinning Reel Bag Reel Protective Bags | eBay

Many thanks for that, three duly ordered.
Last time I scrounged around on ebay, all I could find were trout-sized jobs that would barely stretch around a Trudex. Still an improvement on the zip-up jobs that chew on the paintwork as you put the reel away, though.