Lure equipment - especially rods - please help!

sundaysangler

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to resume my hobby. My favourite method was always spinning and I would like to do it again. And after research, I really don't know what to buy... Regarding reel, I will go for something up to 30 quid, for now, it will be ok for season or two, but I don't which rod should I buy. I am going to use mostly rubber lures, sometimes wobblers etc.
I found Abu Garcia Devil Spinn quite interesting and affordable - especially for beginning, but what bothers me is casting weights and this is where I would need to have some advise. For now, I would like to focus on smaller fish - its easier to catch small perch, pike or chub, and I think it will allow me to get experience. I think 5-15 g casting rod for beginning would be enough, but I wonder what if I want to use micro lures - below 5 g? I would be able to cast them, but would I feel bites?
And sometimes I would like to use something bigger - so maybe 10-30 g casting weight would be ok?
Even though its quite its quite affordable ~ 25 quid rod, having 3 of them feels like overkill, and maybe there is something I could buy within 5-25 g, but I feel its too big and I might not feel smaller lures.

And, what do you recommend - mono line or braid?

Thanks for any help!

rich66

Reaction score
Not sure if it's much help but my spinning rod has a casting weight of 5-20g 7ft length, but I fish with micro lures and jig heads 2g so probably almost 4-5g ,To be honest I'm amazed how far you can flick out a tiny lure. I also use it for dropshotting too. Yes I you do feel the bite.
I use braid, my whole rod and reel set up cost £39.99 it's a Diawa sweepfire rod/reel of eBay

slaphead

Reaction score
Have a look at the Dam Effzett Yagi lure rods too. Not tried one but thinking about it.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Casting weight is only part of the story. To keep in contact with small plastics and to feel the bites you need a fast actioned rod and thin braid. Softer more mellow actioned rods do better with crank baits and spinners.

Most modern rods even with low casting weights will handle suprising good fish, I've had scraper doubles on a 7g untra light rod. Casting weights are only a guide, presuming you're not trying to cast into the next county you can fish heavier lures and alot of rods are unrated.

sundaysangler

Reaction score
Thanks, it was answer I was looking for. I will take a look to this DAM rods! I read few opinions and they seems to be very good. Although its from 7g, but I bet from time to time I think I will be able to fish with smaller lure ;)
And how about reels? Since I will probably buy braid (which one you would recommend?), maybe it would make sense to buy a little better reel?

Oh god, I hope that fishes will understand my research effort and will catch very often in return ;)

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'm well pleased with my Devil Spin, glad i got the shortest because my fave swim has trees overhead.

What are you fishing, a small river? If you don't need to cast far then maybe go for a small reel. I'm in the market too so i'm interested in people's suggestions.

sheffields12

Reaction score
On this note, I'm new to lure fishing.
Looking to catch some nice Perch.
I have a spinning rod (Ugly Stik GX2), I just need some lures... Can anyone advise some decent ones from experience?

Also, noob question but what is the best way to connect the lure to mainline? (Snap swivels?)

Another Dave

Reaction score
On this note, I'm new to lure fishing.
Looking to catch some nice Perch.
I have a spinning rod (Ugly Stik GX2), I just need some lures... Can anyone advise some decent ones from experience?

You can buy individual lures from UL Spinning, that way you can try quite a few varieties. I'm pretty new to this but i've caught on little 'Angry Spin' 'Twister. and 'Gliders', on the small versions, up to 2".

Also, noob question but what is the best way to connect the lure to mainline? (Snap swivels?)

What are you looking to do, jigging or dropshotting?

sheffields12

Reaction score
You can buy individual lures from UL Spinning, that way you can try quite a few varieties. I'm pretty new to this but i've caught on little 'Angry Spin' 'Twister. and 'Gliders', on the small versions, up to 2".

What are you looking to do, jigging or dropshotting?
Well, either really!
Which ever would be the easiest to start with? I basically want to just travel light for an hour or two and see what I can catch from the local canal and river. Once I get more experienced I can try different tactics etc.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Not sure if it's much help but my spinning rod has a casting weight of 5-20g 7ft length, but I fish with micro lures and jig heads 2g so probably almost 4-5g ,To be honest I'm amazed how far you can flick out a tiny lure. I also use it for dropshotting too. Yes I you do feel the bite.
I use braid, my whole rod and reel set up cost £39.99 it's a Diawa sweepfire rod/reel of eBay

I almost certain you are talking about this combo I bought one as well, and very happy with it.

That being said, I use it for "unexpected" and "fun" fishing. It is super small/light and it fits nicely in backpack when taken apart.

For my serious fishing I use Ugly stick GX2 I use and abuse this rod for everything. It handles great for small fish as well as big ones. It is virtually unbreakable yet light enough and you can feel every bite. I could go on and on, just in love with this rod. I paired it with KastKing Sharky II reel. Have to say even though it looks like some cheap "china", I am very happy with it. Definitely the smoothest of my reels, didnt let me down yet. I chose it mainly to fit the looks of Ugly stick though, and they do look just amazing together.

iain t

Reaction score
My go to spinning rod is 7ft and rated 5g to 12g. I've caught Perch, Jack Pike and everything in between with it. Coupled with a small 250 or 200 sized reel with a max or 6lb braid. On a lightweight setup, you definitely know when you have hooked even the smallest fish. The Jack i had was about 4lb and had the rod in half but i still had control thanks to the mid/ butt section. With a 5 or 7g jelly, you will be surprised how far you can chuck it. The lightweight setup is not meant to be distance machines. More for drop shotting and 15 to 20ft max casting. I have more fun with this setup than my heavier kit.
My other spinning rod is an Okuma that is rated to 45g. To be honest i would only use this for sea spinning or Bass. This rod has been sitting in my man cave for about 5 years now gathering dust.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
I almost certain you are talking about this combo I bought one as well, and very happy with it.

That being said, I use it for "unexpected" and "fun" fishing. It is super small/light and it fits nicely in backpack when taken apart.

For my serious fishing I use Ugly stick GX2 I use and abuse this rod for everything. It handles great for small fish as well as big ones. It is virtually unbreakable yet light enough and you can feel every bite. I could go on and on, just in love with this rod. I paired it with KastKing Sharky II reel. Have to say even though it looks like some cheap "china", I am very happy with it. Definitely the smoothest of my reels, didnt let me down yet. I chose it mainly to fit the looks of Ugly stick though, and they do look just amazing together.

Not quite Tomino it's this one DAIWA SWEEPFIRE FISHING ROD & REEL J-BRAID COMBO | eBay

Another Dave

Reaction score
Well, either really!
Which ever would be the easiest to start with? I basically want to just travel light for an hour or two and see what I can catch from the local canal and river. Once I get more experienced I can try different tactics etc.

I can't help you much with dropshotting but if i were you i'd make an account on UL Spinning and pick out a few tempting looking lures. Get a few jigheads bewteen 1g and 3g in a few sizes, you'll want to match these up to the size of the lures when they arrive.

agm discount is another good site but as far as i know they don't sell the soft plastics as individuals

i'm at work right now but would be more than happy to look at a few lures with you later

sheffields12

Reaction score
That would be great mate.
Rather than me buying random lures etc would be good to get some advice as to what I actually need!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'm no expert but i do love shopping for lures.

Is the canal fairly weed-free? What about the river?

sheffields12

Reaction score
Canal is fairly weed free.

The river bit that i will go for perch isn't too bad either to be honest.

Some bits have a fair few weeds though.

steve2

Reaction score
Be careful a few lures will never be enough. Before you know it you will drawn in by the lure websites and be well and truly hooked. Then of course you will need another rod and reel and so it goes on.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Be careful a few lures will never be enough. Before you know it you will drawn in by the lure websites and be well and truly hooked. Then of course you will need another rod and reel and so it goes on.

Whoever once said that lures were designed to catch anglers was bang on the money.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Do you want to start with 1" and 2" lures? Will there be pike?

Probably start with 1" maybe, and then move on?
There are some pike in both the canal and river.

I'm a sucker for buying all sorts of tackle, so i know for a face once I buy a few lures i will soon start buying more. It's very addictive this fishing lark.