TV Pilot - Urban Fishing - the Wandle

flightliner

Reaction score
Now that's the sort of thing, a mr average sort enjoying a few hours on his local bit of river catching a few fish where many might not bother.
As for where else to try there must be loads of other out of sight, not or little bothered with bits of urban waterways dotted around the country.
For the ultimate challenge try the little river porter UNDERNEATH Sheffields midland station , it,s called the megatron, tiny little brown trout have been seen by guys walking the culverts with powerful lights.
I reckon it would be a very unique first!
Check out the Megatron on U tube.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Now that's the sort of thing, a mr average sort enjoying a few hours on his local bit of river catching a few fish where many might not bother.
As for where else to try there must be loads of other out of sight, not or little bothered with bits of urban waterways dotted around the country.
For the ultimate challenge try the little river porter UNDERNEATH Sheffields midland station , it,s called the megatron, tiny little brown trout have been seen by guys walking the culverts with powerful lights.
I reckon it would be a very unique first!
Check out the Megatron on U tube.

Glad you approve! That's also just the kind of idea we're after: little secret honeyholes (if you'll forgive the Americanism) in urban locations!

Philip

Reaction score
That's also just the kind of idea we're after: little secret honeyholes (if you'll forgive the Americanism) in urban locations!

Yes its a great idea but with one tiny fundemental flaw...don’t you think if we give away all our secret honey holes on a TV channel to the general public then they wont be honey holes anymore, they will become another sort of hole…a much less inviting one, I am sure you get my drift....

B

binka

It gets my vote too.

I've always liked the urban fishing thing, it's very 'real' and accessible compared to some aspects of screen presented angling.

There was a tv series along similar lines, I can't remember the name of it or the angler but one of the episodes was catching a true brown wildie from a stream inside the M25 ring and despite not being a fluff chucker I did find it all very interesting.

Yep...

I'm in, I reckon a pilot series of two hundred episodes filmed in every corner of the country should just about do it :)

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Yes its a great idea but with one tiny fundemental flaw...don’t you think if we give away all our secret honey holes on a TV channel to the general public then they wont be honey holes anymore, they will become another sort of hole…a much less inviting one, I am sure you get my drift....

There's ways around that... but also, given how little some of these are fished it is very unlikely to have a huge impact. Better to get people out fishing, no?

flightliner

Reaction score
If you checked out the Megatron H&S would be of paramount inportance but what a first it would be !

Philip

Reaction score
Better to get people out fishing, no?

No..not if its on my secret patch that I sweated blood to find. And I suspect just about every single experienced angler on this site would say the same if they were honest.

Can I ask - are you American ? I get the feeling and I mean this in the nicest possible way that your a little naive in how it works in the UK.

Comments like this :

given how little some of these are fished it is very unlikely to have a huge impact

Bet a few happy go lucky anglers posting their prize in the anglers mail regretted that the following weekend.

And as for this :
There's ways around that.

If you mean with careful editing to take out location details then your really dreaming. You realize people tracked venues literally from trees in the background dont you ? So I dont care how carefully you edit it someone will find it if they want to.

Look I am not trying to be negative, really, but I think your turning the site into an adveritsement for your channel. Maybe stick to one of the forums rather than post across the entire site ?

Philip

Reaction score
There was a tv series along similar lines, I can't remember the name of it or the angler but one of the episodes was catching a true brown wildie from a stream inside the M25 ring and despite not being a fluff chucker I did find it all very interesting.

I remember that ...that episode in particular as it was in my neck of the woods. I do recall they made it sound like a sort of impossible challenge but there are quite a few places you can catch wild Trout within the M25. I actually recall taking one home for my Mum to cook when I was a kid !:)

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
No..not if its on my secret patch that I sweated blood to find. And I suspect just about every single experienced angler on this site would say the same if they were honest.

Can I ask - are you American ? I get the feeling and I mean this in the nicest possible way that your a little naive in how it works in the UK.

Comments like this :

Bet a few happy go lucky anglers posting their prize in the anglers mail regretted that the following weekend.

And as for this :

If you mean with careful editing to take out location details then your really dreaming. You realize people tracked venues literally from trees in the background dont you ? So I dont care how carefully you edit it someone will find it if they want to.

Look I am not trying to be negative, really, but I think your turning the site into an adveritsement for your channel. Maybe stick to one of the forums rather than post across the entire site ?

English to the bones, old chap.

It may well be your attitude to hide good fishing spots but our ethos is very much one of inclusivity.

Let's face it, most of them are controlled by clubs or other landowners in any case, so the main result is likely to be more memberships or day tickets sold, which is a Good Thing.

To be honest, your 'keep it secret point of view is one I associate with the US, where it is basically a scrum.

Furthermore, if someone can be bothered to use the trees and similar to locate a spot then fair play to them, say I.

Last edited:

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
I remember that ...that episode in particular as it was in my neck of the woods. I do recall they made it sound like a sort of impossible challenge but there are quite a few places you can catch wild Trout within the M25. I actually recall taking one home for my Mum to cook when I was a kid !:)

Was that the Charles Rangeley Wilson?

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
If I say yes are you going to post an enourmous close up of his head from shot on fishingTV ?

...please dont..:D:);)

Hahaha... no. That's one show we *don't* have but I have seen it. Pretty good, I felt.

No, I mention it as he's appearing in a documentary called CHALK that comes out in November - a pretty knowlegeable chap.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Ok tell you what....here is an idea I will pitch to you and I guarantee this will not only get a VERY large following from the fishing fraternity it could potentially -if you pitch it right- catapult you into the mainstream TV and the general public eye as well.

Are you ready ? ...ok ...so ....

Do an in depth investigative program into Martin Gays Carp.

whats that I hear you say ? ...well if you not aware of this story then do a search on this site. I am sure you will find a veritable treasure trove of information on a true fishing mystery that has spanned more than 2 decades and made fishing headlines the world over and continues to rumble on in fishing circles today. Unsolved and unresolved..its a cracker.

I kid you not. Do a program on that and try to get to the bottom of the mystery. I guarantee that if you do I will sign up to your channel for a year. I am not kidding.

Oh and btw …should it take off (and do it right, it will) then don’t forget who gave you the idea ! ;)

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Ok tell you what....here is an idea I will pitch to you and I guarantee this will not only get a VERY large following from the fishing fraternity it could potentially -if you pitch it right- catapult you into the mainstream TV and the general public eye as well.

whats that I hear you say ? ...well if you not aware of this story then do a search on this site. I am sure you will find a veritable treasure trove of information on a true fishing mystery that has spanned more than 2 decades and made fishing headlines the world over and continues to rumble on in fishing circles today. Unsolved and unresolved..its a cracker.

I kid you not. Do a program on that and try to get to the bottom of the mystery. I guarantee that if you do I will sign up to your channel for a year. I am not kidding.

Oh and btw …should it take off (and do it right, it will) then don’t forget who gave you the idea ! ;)

Sounds like you are admirably placed to make that show yourself... we'll gladly give it a home.

Do you think that'd there would be a feature-length film in it? The kickstarter for CHALK was so successful thay we'd like to repeat the model but for carp. We could find an appropriate film crew for you and all that jazz, you could front it, we'd promote the heck out of it, and we'll all be famous?

Last edited:
B

binka

Just think of the costs though, all that filming on location in Canada ;)

:D

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Just read an article... what a totally mad story.

It would be a cracking story to tell, you're very right.

Don't you think it would be fitting for us to fake the Canada bits?

Philip

Reaction score
Just read an article... what a totally mad story.

It would be a cracking story to tell, you're very right.

Don't you think it would be fitting for us to fake the Canada bits?

Depends...do you have any cardboard power stations for use as a background ?