Thinking about rivers again

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Today I had a walk down the Thames on several sections and found the boat traffic is still high and yes you guessed it nobody fishibg buy I did take some bits of bread and chucked some tinny bits in and it seems lots of bleak and minnows present.

Just thinking once the boats stop I need to get practicing as still useless at trotting a float .

Least got a light enough 13ft rod now , just ordered some traditional stick floats.

Now just need to actually be able to trott with a open faced reel

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being someone who likes to shop:eek:mg: I have a closed face, a centre pin and obviously an open faced reel. As an inexperienced angler I have found an open faced reel the simplest to use.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Being someone who likes to shop:eek:mg: I have a closed face, a centre pin and obviously an open faced reel. As an inexperienced angler I have found an open faced reel the simplest to use.
That was the idea , was going to use my Shimano stardic gtm with 4lb line

sam vimes

Reaction score
Despite the impression you may have got fro this forum, the majority of river anglers won't be using centepins or closed face reels, especially amongst the match regulars. You can trot perfectly will with a standard fixed spool reel.

When it comes to float choice, I'd suggest a heavier float than the average stick float. A decent sized (3/4g) Avon or Bolo float will be easier to cast and control. Despite giving the impression of being pretty insensitive, I find that I have no problems seeing bites from tiddlers when fishing such floats.

To start with, I'd also suggest that you leave the more fancy shotting patterns until you are comfortable with trotting. A simple bulk shot (or olivette) and dropper is simple, effective and reasonably tangle free.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Despite the impression you may have got fro this forum, the majority of river anglers won't be using centepins or closed face reels, especially amongst the match regulars. You can trot perfectly will with a standard fixed spool reel.

When it comes to float choice, I'd suggest a heavier float than the average stick float. A decent sized (3/4g) Avon or Bolo float will be easier to cast and control. Despite giving the impression of being pretty insensitive, I find that I have no problems seeing bites from tiddlers when fishing such floats.

To start with, I'd also suggest that you leave the more fancy shotting patterns until you are comfortable with trotting. A simple bulk shot (or olivette) and dropper is simple, effective and reasonably tangle free.
So a shot under the float then 2/3 way down a bulk and a dropper before hooklink ? Which was is best to learn 1st holding back or mending the line flowing with the current ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
So a shot under the float then 2/3 way down a bulk and a dropper before hooklink ? Which was is best to learn 1st holding back or mending the line flowing with the current ?

Something along those lines. If you have no shot directly under the float it will allow you to make quick and easy depth alterations. If you use an olivette secured with rubbers, it'll allow you to quickly and easily alter the position of the bulk. I tend to have the olivette anywhere from half depth to around three quarters. In deeper water it may be much closer to the hook.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Something along those lines. If you have no shot directly under the float it will allow you to make quick and easy depth alterations. If you use an olivette secured with rubbers, it'll allow you to quickly and easily alter the position of the bulk. I tend to have the olivette anywhere from half depth to around three quarters. In deeper water it may be much closer to the hook.
Thanks Sam what about depth ? Should I start just learning to trott before actually fishing with bait on and in slower currents

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam what about depth ? Should I start just learning to trott before actually fishing with bait on and in slower currents

There's little point in trotting without a bait, other than a quick confirmation of a clear run at the depth you've set up at. I'd tend to start by trying to fish at just less than full depth (riverbed fluctuations allowing). Just letting a float go down a swim is easy, anyone can trot. What differentiates those that are experienced and good at it is the control they can have. Use a bait and learn how your control of the float (speed, holding back etc) influences the bites you get.

peterjg

Reaction score
Matt, Sam Vines mentioned using a heavier float, he is spot on. Most people (in my humble opinion) try to trot with too light a float. Forget about all those fancy shotting patterns, especially on the Thames. You need to get your hookbait down fast to beat the bleak, have a number 4 shot under the float to mark where your original plumbed depth is and bulk shot 15 inches from the hook.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There's little point in trotting without a bait, other than a quick confirmation of a clear run at the depth you've set up at. I'd tend to start by trying to fish at just less than full depth (riverbed fluctuations allowing). Just letting a float go down a swim is easy, anyone can trot. What differentiates those that are experienced and good at it is the control they can have. Use a bait and learn how your control of the float (speed, holding back etc) influences the bites you get.
How do I know if near the bottom without using a plummet as I guess it's not possible to plumb this way on flowing water ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Matt, Sam Vines mentioned using a heavier float, he is spot on. Most people (in my humble opinion) try to trot with too light a float. Forget about all those fancy shotting patterns, especially on the Thames. You need to get your hookbait down fast to beat the bleak, have a number 4 shot under the float to mark where your original plumbed depth is and bulk shot 15 inches from the hook.
Avon type float best but what size ?

xenon

Reaction score
How do I know if near the bottom without using a plummet as I guess it's not possible to plumb this way on flowing water ?

it is possible. What you do is use a swan shot (or two) so there is no doubt about the float sinking, then cast underarm down the swim. The shot hits the bottom and acts as an anchor as the line to the float describes an arc in the flow-the top of the arc being the high point of your depth. Hope this makes sense.

peterjg

Reaction score
Matt, difficult to recommend float size because it depends on depth and speed of current. However; an average size float would be around 5 to 6BB for say a 7ft deep swim. Generally the faster the current the more you hold back and the more you fish over depth, keep the line behind the float - this is really important, You can also try overshotting the float so that it sinks if it is not held back enough.

Bare in mind though that the Thames is very slow at the moment, almost like a canal in some reaches. Where it is slow a big waggler will out fish a top and bottom float. Also consider wind direction. The roach will definitely feed better early and late. New moon at the moment which is good.

Have a look at the Maidenhead Rowing Club website, they give river flow rates and water temperature - very useful especially when fishing in the winter months.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thames is upper and stretches are slow and upstream gets shallow too

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Thames is upper and stretches are slow and upstream gets shallow too

Whereabouts on the 'upper'. I've fished from Inglesham all the way down to Marlow and there's a lot of variation. Certainly for the next two or three weeks worth fishing tares on a 16 over some regular hemp feed. This tends to beat the bleak. As it gets colder into October the bleak become less of a problem and you can fish maggots or casters, and in winter bread becomes an option.

robcourt82

Reaction score
The thames is a fantastic river, its full of fish. Most of the time though it is more suited to a waggler approach than a stick float as it doesn't flow very much and can be quite weedy in close.
The principles of trotting are the same though, cast slightly downstream to give yourself better line lay and control of the line between rod and float and keep the bale arm open to allow the float to trot down the river without it being pulled off line unnaturally. You need to control the amount of line peeling off the spool though to ensure your line is as direct to the float as possible, that will help when you strike at a bite.
As for the Thames itself, I fish around Oxford way fairly often and if you try to loose feed maggots or caster you get plagued by tiny chub and bleak. Stick to feeding hemp as the bleak seem to get bored with it and drift off, you can catch really well with a maggot on the hook. Once the frosts arrive the bleak become less of a problem however the roach can become very localised. One peg will be solid with them, the next devoid.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The thames is a fantastic river, its full of fish. Most of the time though it is more suited to a waggler approach than a stick float as it doesn't flow very much and can be quite weedy in close.
The principles of trotting are the same though, cast slightly downstream to give yourself better line lay and control of the line between rod and float and keep the bale arm open to allow the float to trot down the river without it being pulled off line unnaturally. You need to control the amount of line peeling off the spool though to ensure your line is as direct to the float as possible, that will help when you strike at a bite.
As for the Thames itself, I fish around Oxford way fairly often and if you try to loose feed maggots or caster you get plagued by tiny chub and bleak. Stick to feeding hemp as the bleak seem to get bored with it and drift off, you can catch really well with a maggot on the hook. Once the frosts arrive the bleak become less of a problem however the roach can become very localised. One peg will be solid with them, the next devoid.
Thanks , I just need to get out on bank and practice , just waiting for the stick floats to turn up

Reaction score
Best advice is practice practice practice I have only been trotting for 1 season and I am still learning loads I originally started using small traditional stick floats and found it very difficult. My little river is anything from 18inch deep to about 4ft and I have found now that a heavier float is much better to cast and control I have been using drennan loafer floats in 2 1/2ssg and found bites to be positive even on smaller fish.