Fish handling at it's best.........

steve2

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit like the match I fished yesterday where 100lbs of fish were put into keepnets and then dragged out of the water to be weighed. They were than tipped into weighing bags to flap around while the scales settled. They were than tipped back onto the water. Not a lot of difference really just what happens in matches every day.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I can well remember going to watch a division one national on my local river. We knew beforehand where the winning weight was likely to be so we were there for the weigh in. The winning catch was hauled unceremoniously out of the river and weighed. Were they put straight back? Not on your life...they must have been out of the water for at least ten minutes while the obligatory victory shots were taken. Even though I was only a teenager I thought the treatment of the fish was well out of order. I complained to the Angling Times photographer and the angler but was told to "shut up" in no uncertain terms. I doubt many, if any, of the fish survived. Disgusting!

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
It leaves me at a loss this talk of fish handling. I know fish in matches have to be weighed but apart from that our contact should be kept at a minimum.
I net every fish these days, even the smallest. I remove the hook whilst the fish is still in the net trying not to get my hand slimed. (the only reason to avoid slime is it inevitably finds it's way onto my clothing), then put all fish straight back.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its not quite the smae thing I know but some "youths" were catching mackerel once on a pier and stamping on them and seeing if they could ram them between the planks. This in front of holiday makers/day trippers some of whom looked like they might feint until we regular peir users put it right.
My point is how this all gives fishing a bad name down the line, something we should all watch out for whether its a match or anywhere, OK its probably out of sight of the general public in these cases but who knows where the anti brigade might be lurking with their mobiles. The watch words to me are unnecessary cruelty, just avoid it.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I am not one to go OTT on these things but that did leave me feeling rather bad.

Something about Tench as well. They are just such a harmless nice fish so to see them flapping about makes it even worse.

rayner

Reaction score
There are some that think match anglers mistreat their catches. They don't.
The way things are recently most matches are commercial based, most commercials do their own weighing of catches.
Even where they allow clubs to weigh in they would not stand for any fish being mistreated.
It's about time all this sniping between angling factions ended.
Commercial fish get a lot of attention from anglers, far more the our wilder fishes. As such they inevitably get caught more often.
Even so they are pampered to a fashion by fishery owners, there's no way that anglers on commercials would get away with not treating fish safely.
In my experience our natural venue anglers have a stronger bond with the fish they catch, the fish that they catch are even more safety treated and very well looked after.
I haven't seen the clip that started this thread but I can guess at the behaviour of the anglers concerned by the posts.
Very few anglers would emulate how it seems they treated fish in the clip.
Leave some fools un policed and they run riot in any form, let alone angling.

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry but I can only go by what I see and that is that match fishing is now a fish catching race about who can catch the most fish the quickest. Maybe it as always been that way but with commercials the emphasis is bigger and bigger bags of fish. I know that people were saying that the water didn’t fish well because there were only a few catches over 100lbs.
Is right that 60lbs of fish should be crammed into keep nets that is up to you to decide.