Lake casters, perch, chub?

sagalout

Reaction score
There is a local lake with a good stock of perch and some chub, I fancy targetting them instead of just catching them occasionally by accident, I have tried maggots and worms in the past but have always been plagued by bits, so after many years of anguish over the cost I have bought some casters to try.

I am thinking best approach will be catapult loose caster and fish on the drop, what do you think? The area I want to target is about 4' deep so what depth would you start at?

rayner

Reaction score
Definitely on the drop, you'll get all manner of silver fish. Usually where I fish the silver fish including chub can be targeted in the upper layers.
Just keeping the feed going in varying the amounts fed keeps the fish feeding.
Also a maggot feeder works if there's a blow on.
The venue I fish as a large head of roach, Ide and chub. I general feed up to 3 pints of casters or maggot. If I skimp on the feed smaller fish don't get pushed out by the larger fish.

flightliner

Reaction score
Go in trying small strips of mackerel , I used to fish a Notts pit with it back in the eighties paternostering it after dark.Bites are pretty dramatic with "butt ringers" and a churning reel that add to the drama.

rubio

Reaction score
I know of a guy on our club lake has success with some often elusive chub using using small cubes of meat in a cage feeder.

sagalout

Reaction score
I went yesterday and used the casters, up in the water, in the middle, down on the bottom, absolutely shee-ite. The fish just weren't feeding. I shan't blame the casters nor the superb fisherman that was using them but I shan't be buying them again, far to expensive.

Thanks all for your input.