Is Stick Float Fishing Boring?

thecrow

Reaction score
How boring can this get if the fish are not feeding, all I see the angler doing is letting a float go down their swim, no bite? reel in let it go down the swim again, no bite? repeat, no bite? repeat................ oh and to break the boredom feed some bait each "cast" to fish that either are not there or not feeding, repetitive to say the least.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
At least you can vary the: depth, feed rate, speed of trot, line of trot, hook size, bait, hook lengthy material, size/shape of float, speed of fall of bait, etc. Maybe you're just doing it wrong Mr Crow. Surely more things to bu88er about with and get wrong than lobbing out a static bait to unseen fish, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
Crow, I think that you might be right. If the fish are not feeding it is all a bit pointless and I always think that, especially on a small river, that the disturbance when repeatedly reeling the float back in is counterproductive.

However; when the roach are feeding well on hemp it has to be the most delightful form of fishing!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Any type of fishing can get boring when bites aren't forthcoming. What you do in that scenario, coupled with a dollop of optimistic anticipation, is what can keep it interesting enough to persist.

If I've tried everything I can, when stick float fishing, but bites still aren't coming, it's time for a move. Rinse and repeat until I get a few, or go home when I tire of banging my head against a brick wall.

thecrow

Reaction score
If I've tried everything I can, when stick float fishing, but bites still aren't coming, it's time for a move. Rinse and repeat until I get a few, or go home when I tire of banging my head against a brick wall.

Exactly Sam just the same as some who fish still waters would do, I really wanted to just point out that those that see other anglers sitting behind rods apparently doing nothing could very easily be doing lots of things, insert winky thing here :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Exactly Sam just the same as some who fish still waters would do, I really wanted to just point out that those that see other anglers sitting behind rods apparently doing nothing could very easily be doing lots of things, insert winky thing here :)
The snoring is a dead giveaway though. Maybe hoping for an inspirational dream?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
I really used to enjoy fishing the stick. We all have suffered from fish keeping their gobs shut when it comes to feed.
I reckon that running a stick through the swim holding back stop start all make the bait behave differently. It's quite therapeutic to do correctly.
Much as in the way making the best cast you can when fly fishing, turning the leader over nice and straight.
It's fishing, catching is the main thing but the fish don't always want to play, alternatively if you get bored you can always go home.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trotting a float is one of the most pleasing methods of fishing, in my book.

If the fish are not paying then there are many alterations you can make; shot patterns, depths, feeding etc., and if all else fails then a move to a different swim is the best bet.

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson (speaking to Crow's Boswell):

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to cease trotting, as when a man is tired of trotting he is tired of life, for there is in trotting all that life can afford!"

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
If the fish are not paying then there are many alterations you can make; shot patterns, depths, feeding etc., and if all else fails then a move to a different swim is the best bet.

All things that can be changed with none trotting methods, plenty of changes can be made in any type of fishing, whether the angler can be bothered is another thing, do all stick float anglers bother to change things or do they just keep repeating the same thing ?

thecrow

Reaction score
Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to cease totting, as when a man is tired of trotting he is tired of life, for there is in trotting all that life can afford!"

Rose tinted glasses from an age long gone, much the same as some of the stuff said about Redmire even though its now no more than a commercial.

thecrow

Reaction score
Of course the angler could always change from a centrepin reel to a fixed spool (and vice versa) to see if the difference would produce a fish

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
All things that can be changed with none trotting methods, plenty of changes can be made in any type of fishing, whether the angler can be bothered is another thing, do all stick float anglers bother to change things or do they just keep repeating the same thing ?

In which case, is it not a proper conclusion then that the problem is the individual l angler and not the method?

The same can be said of almost any method or form of fishing inasmuch as if you are blanking then is it the method or the 'operator' that is at fault?

thecrow

Reaction score
In which case, is it not a proper conclusion then that the problem is the individual l angler and not the method?

The same can be said of almost any method or form of fishing inasmuch as if you are blanking then is it the method or the 'operator' that is at fault?

Yes that's the conclusion I would come to as well I would also agree with your 2nd statement so are there stick float anglers that are just as metronomic as those engaging in other methods of angling?

thecrow

Reaction score
. . . . . . inspects, sniffs, and thinks, yes . . . . BAIT

Not really its far to obvious it was just a light hearted post that came to me when I was thinking about all the changes that a stick float angler is said to have available to them. Would/could it make a difference though?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really its far to obvious it was just a light hearted post that came to me when I was thinking about all the changes that a stick float angler is said to have available to them. Would/could it make a difference though?

In that case I'd have to say that the smoother control over the speed and bait presentation when using the centrepin
would be an improvement over the more jerky style when using a f/s reel . . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score

I doubt that they'll be any different to those using any other method. There will be those that repeat the same old thing time after time. Others will be constantly tweaking until they find something that works.

Of course the angler could always change from a centrepin reel to a fixed spool (and vice versa) to see if the difference would produce a fish

I don't believe that there's anything in the characteristics of a fixed spool reel, when it comes to actual trotting, that can't be replicated with a centrepin. If a change to a fixed spool reel brought a change in fortunes, it is likely to be entirely coincidental. The possible exception would be if the angler using the reels struggled to cast any distance with a pin. The only other "advantage" I see with fixed spool trotting is the speed of a retrieve. Even that can be a mixed blessing.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
All fishing is boring when your catching nowt, or its gets too repetative it's all personal preference.