Value of vintage rod

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I have been offered a Daiwa whisker kevlar harrier tournament HTM 13-4 match rod by a very good friend who I greatly respect. Neither of us have a realistic idea of the value of this rod but I am sure from what he says it was "top of the range" in its day. It's a fantastic piece of equipment and I want to pay him a fair price, any suggestions?

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Yes, thank you, I saw that but research seems to suggest that the model in question is further up the range of the day and I would hate to pay him less than it is worth. Friendships are worth much more than any fishing rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Very difficult to value properly. One day they might (unlikely) sell for the rather optimistic £175 you've seen, the next they'll struggle to reach £100. The number of people that value them and have a use for them is dwindling year on year. Anything from £50 to £125 could be considered reasonable, especially if you are saving someone from the ebay lottery and high fees. Pretend he's not a friend and think about what you'd be prepared to pay a stranger for the rod in question. If you feel that price is a little low, add another £25 or the sake of your friendship.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input, Sam. Your name came up on another forum about ten? years ago as having some involvement with a similar model of Daiwa match rod and I'd hoped to hear your opinion - cheers!

I'll wait a while in the hope of a few more such helpful contributions from other members before I decide what to do.

steve2

Reaction score
There is no set price for any 2nd hand tackle you get what ever you can for it.
As my antique dealing brother would say just because it is old does mean it worth a great deal, the market will decide.
Looking back on the Internet these appear to have been sold in the past for between £50 and £100.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have sold a few rods in Auctions and they usually only reach my reserve price, a £100 valued rod will get £50 kind of thing.

I did think I would try and help and came across these conversations on other forums which I think may make your question more confusing so, I wasn't going to post them but as I had copied them anyway I thought why not. Might not be much help but you might pick up a few clues from them:-

There nice rods,i got 3 of em,were top of the range when they came out in 1989 at £195,great river rods.shows how ahead of their time they were as they are still lighter etc than many top rods today.

hi mate the rod your on about is of higher quality than the others mentioned and originaly cost £300 it has 24 strand carbon as opposed to 12.still a cracking rod and a lovely soft tip action.

I have a 'Daiwa Amorphous Whisker Harrier 13ft light match rod'. if this is the rod you mean then it's a brilliant rod with a light & crisp action which has won me many matches and is rated for hooklengths down to ¾lb

l have got two Daiwa Amorphous Whisker Harrier 13ft waggler rods. brilliant rod to own and use. one of them has still got 95 percent of the plastic coating on the handle.

AND:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just been up in the attic having a bit of a sort out of all my old tackle and beneath all the cobwebs I came across an old favourite that hasn't been used for more years than i can remember!

It is a Daiwa WHISKER KEVLAR MATCH Harrier Match Super light WKM14CF 14' (4.27m)

It's three pieces with full cork handle and spigot ferrules.

Does anyone remember these rods? Would it be worth putting it on Ebay,or shall I keep it for my grandchildren to sell as a true angling antique?
LOL! Its still a very usable rod mate and quite an expensive one in its day.Wont ever really be a true collectible but then again wont really ever become outdated.Either hold out for a good price (if you dont want to use it) or keep it for your kids as a top range rod to use!
Why not take it out and try it you may be pleasantly surprised. I just tried my 13ft spliced tip version and now its back in my holdall.

Seen the 13ft go on ebay recently cant remember exactly what it got but did very well. arround £100.

It depends on the condition. If it's in good clean used condition I reckon your looking at between £40 and £65 on ebay. I have some tournament whisker kevlar carp rods myself. The Amorphous whisker where the more expensive version.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People seem to be getting mixed up a little with the amorphous whisker kevlar and the plain amorphous rods.
The amorphous rods where 24 strand and the amorphous whisker had 12 strand.
The amorphous rods where the more expensive rods.
I'm not taking anything away from the amorphous whisker rods just pointing out which was the more expensive back in the day.
In all honesty I think rods from that era seemed to be put together/assembled better than rods of today and they looked and felt better finished off....imo.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
There is no mention of the word amorphous in the name of the rod in question, does this make very much of a difference.

THe name on one side of the butt section reads "Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Match" and on the other side "Harrier Tournament HTM- 13"4' 13, 13"2' 13"4' , this latter refers to the two short extension pieces which can be unscrewed to shorten the handle.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is no mention of the word amorphous in the name of the rod in question, does this make very much of a difference.

The name on one side of the butt section reads "Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Match" and on the other side "Harrier Tournament HTM- 13"4' 13, 13"2' 13"4' , this latter refers to the two short extension pieces which can be unscrewed to shorten the handle.

Yes it does make a difference. The whisker kevlars where excellent rods (i've had a few myself) but they are a cheaper rod than the amorphous range,.
I actually had the amorphous tournament 13ft 2inch rod which had a tournament reel holder and the two inch piece at the end of the but/handle also unscrewed.

Has your rod got the tournament reel holder or sliding holders? My whisker kevlar tournament carp rods had the tournament seat but if i'm honest that was why I got rid of them in the end...loved the rods, hated the reel holders as they damaged reel feet.

The condition is a big factor to it's value if it was up for grabs on an auction site etc but if it's between friends then surely you'll get a huge discount even if it's as new!
If a friend of mine fancies any of my gear and i'm selling it he either get's it for nothing or at a seriously discounted price....and it works the same the other way round :cool:.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Has your rod got the tournament reel holder or sliding holders? My whisker kevlar tournament carp rods had the tournament seat but if i'm honest that was why I got rid of them in the end...loved the rods, hated the reel holders as they damaged reel feet.

Yes the rod has a screw reel fitting but the handle is EVA foam, no cork at all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can you give me a ball park figure for it's value, by PM if you wish.

You know what....I just don't know because you very rarely see them for sale and you've not said what kind'a fettle it's in.

I'll have a go, if it's as new and two people want it 150 to 200. If it's a bit tired then between fifty and a ton....pure guess of course!

I sold a mint unused/mint 13ft 2inch amorphous tournament Tommy Pickering stick float supreme for "I think" 250 notes a year or two ago. Don't forget the amorphous was the most expensive out of the rods at the time.

I reckon if you give your friend 70 notes you've both done ok ;).

sam vimes

Reaction score
It has been a while now, what do you reckon to your purchase? Old classic, hunk of junk, or somewhere in between?