Feeder Casting Technique

maverick54

Reaction score
I've never been the most accurate of casters' with a feeder rod, but I remember a video of Andy May stating he casts from over his left shoulder even though he is right handed.

I recently noticed a rear video shot of another well known angler clearly doing the same thing.

Got me thinking it may be worth a try to see if it will improve my accuracy.

Does anyone else use this technique?

rayner

Reaction score
I cast with the rod butt inline with my nose. pointing the end of the butt at my target.
I'm very accurate up to 25mtrs after that I go haywire trying to force the cast too much.
Forget what others do and work your own way out.

thecrow

Reaction score
I cast as I always have with the bait and float/lead hanging from the rod with around a 3/4 ft drop sometimes longer particularly if the feeder I am using is putting a bit of pressure on the rod. my accuracy is pretty good using this method although the distance I can cast isn't as far as my son but then his accuracy at long range goes to pot so I think its about using what suits and finding a balance.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I'm a line up the rod butt and then push pull whilst trying to keep the rod moving in one plane. I believe it's accurate but not the best for distance.

My friend Chris never struggles for distance or accuracy, he lines the rod tip up with the target and then brings the rod back over his shoulder and casts all in one motion.

Reaction score
I cast from left or right side,it doesn't matter,Graham's comment on the length of drop from the rod tip is critical IMO,the longer the drop the more you can compress the rod for longer distances(watch beachcasters),accuracy will always be lost the further you go,but if the wind is going from left to right you should cast from your right side and vice versa the other way,if only for safety's sake.

robcourt82

Reaction score
I've seen jamie Harrison discuss something similar but I'm not quite sure if they mean they draw the feeder back over their left shoulder and then propel it forward or they mean they propel it forward over their left shoulder. I have noticed I am more accurate when I bring the feeder back over my left shoulder and then cast forward over my right shoulder. I've also found that rod length feeder size and distance have to be relative to each other for the best accuracy. I think a lot of a poor accuracy comes from having to cast purposely slow with a rod that's too long. Likewise if the feeder is too heavy or too light then it just makes the casting action less smooth and ultimately less accurate.
Of course the other thing is that the average person might cast 30 times a week or a fortnight where as the top guys fishing 2,3 or4 times a week are casting maybe 200 times a week or even more. The more you do something the better you'll become.

maverick54

Reaction score
I've seen jamie Harrison discuss something similar but I'm not quite sure if they mean they draw the feeder back over their left shoulder and then propel it forward or they mean they propel it forward over their left shoulder. I have noticed I am more accurate when I bring the feeder back over my left shoulder and then cast forward over my right shoulder. I've also found that rod length feeder size and distance have to be relative to each other for the best accuracy. I think a lot of a poor accuracy comes from having to cast purposely slow with a rod that's too long. Likewise if the feeder is too heavy or too light then it just makes the casting action less smooth and ultimately less accurate.
Of course the other thing is that the average person might cast 30 times a week or a fortnight where as the top guys fishing 2,3 or4 times a week are casting maybe 200 times a week or even more. The more you do something the better you'll become.

Yes Jamie was the second guy I saw do it. Bring it back over his left shoulder but then I couldnt see properly wether he propelled it forward over his left shoulder or from behind his head.

Philip

Reaction score
I am an over the shoulder caster but only because that’s what I have always done. Some days I am super accurate, others I am all over the place.

I think accuracy is probably generally better with an over the head push and pull thump. The rod staying in the same vertical plane and the angler standing face on to the target…the cast is with the arms.

Distance I recon will generally be better over the shoulder with the angler standing more side on and the rod moving more in an arc. The Shoulders and body start to come into into play.
Frank Warwick who can cast described it as like trying to knock someone out with a straight on jab as opposed to a full blown swing.

As someone else mentioned distance is also a consequence of blank compression and loading the blank. Basically the way it was described to me was that the ideal situation is when you compress the blank enough and the fibers of carbon will lock and give you something to really pull against. Its why things like the S.African cast was developed, the lead lying on the floor helping to lead to quick compression and lock up.

The one rule I guess that stands true for both distance and accuracy – practice makes perfect !

thecrow

Reaction score
When I lived in chapel st leonards and did a bit of beach fishing I watched an angler cast with a multiplier and wherever the lead landed I couldn't see it went that far, turned out he was an ex tournament caster, I asked him what cast he had used thinking it would have some technical name, an overhead blast was the answer :D distance probably more important than accuracy from the beach.

rayner

Reaction score
My only problem casting any distance is I only use one hand. Trying to force the cast it's impossible for me to keep the rod vertical.
It really doesn't matter if I'm accurate or not, fish have a real problem eating my baits.:(

The fishing coach

Reaction score
The important thing is to develop a technique through trial and error and then practice to do exactly the same thing each time.

I find it helps to keep the rod in the same plane, at right angles to the shoulders and with your feet slightly apart and both beneath your shoulders, your cast should go in the direction you are looking. You then only have to worry about distance.

This won't win you any competitions but will, with practice, improve your accuracy.