How to barrow to your swim.

The bad one

Reaction score
In this thread I expect members to give helpful advice how to barrow to your swim correctly
Eg what psi your tyre(s) should be at?
How to load the barrow correctly and make you look good and professional as you head off down river?
Should you load it differently if going up river?
Is it Etiquette to have a bait tub hanging from just one handle? Or from a professional standpoint should you always have two one on each handle even though one may hold nothing but air? :D:D:D

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
When I used mine.
Tyre pressure is printed on tyre wall, usually showing maximum pressure for that tyre.

Heaviest items over rear legs, made it more stable.

Largest items at the bottom,

Practice loading at home to find neatest way of fitting things on.

Preferred everything on barrow, not swinging on handles.?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Should they be licensed? Have a proper test for eyesight, emergency stop etc. If it has tyres its a vehicle! and those over 60.....

greenie62

Reaction score
Waiting for the FPNs to be started for 'exceeding 2 hours parking alongside lake'! :eek::D:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
Do what Lord Paul does and ask your man to pack your barrow and then push it!;) If you have more than one faithful retainer just do like they do on safari and have a train of carriers.;)

Talking of M'Lud i havent seen him posting lately! I hope he is OK!

thecrow

Reaction score
Whichever way you load a barrow never ever purchase one that has 2 wheels at the front, they have a mind of their own constantly being drawn towards the river in order to rid themselves of the load you have dumped on them, i reckon they contain the souls of long dead stick float anglers that would always travel light :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I suffer from claudication which means I cannot walk too far in one go without stopping, and laden down with kit makes it even worse, bordering on impossible.

So, I use a Powawalker trolley and find it is a very good piece of kit that allows me to get to some distant swims that otherwise would not be possible.

I easily takes a seat box, carryall and holdall as well as all the other bits like bait bags etc.

The only problem with it is when you encounter a blooming style as it has to be unloaded and then reloaded on t'other side.

It stays on permanent trickle charge on the garage as I live in fear of it running out of juice at the wrong end of the river lol

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It stays on permanent trickle charge on the garage as I live in fear of it running out of juice at the wrong end of the river lol

Put yourself on the trickle charger Peter, might work; you might end up glowing in the dark a bit but you could be jumping over those styles trolley an all.

I know, that's no help at all.....:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Whichever way you load a barrow never ever purchase one that has 2 wheels at the front, they have a mind of their own constantly being drawn towards the river in order to rid themselves of the load you have dumped on them, i reckon they contain the souls of long dead stick float anglers that would always travel light :D
I bought a two front wheeled barrow as described and thought it was possessed by a poltergeist. Luckily for me it also came with the bits to convert it to a single wheel. Exorcism avoided.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you could do with a golf cart Phil....but maybe a milk float would be even better :).

kevt

Reaction score
Hi

I bought an Octbox with the single wheel at the front. Once the foot plate and front pole bar are extended I can load it with an EVA stink bag / pole roller / kit bag / 6 tube rod bag and it's just like a wheel barrow, I've walked miles with ease on the Aire and Calder canal. Used it for two years now and it's still like new with no signs of wear and tear.

I've owned a Preston box with a trolley and have to say that the Octbox knocks all the systems I've seen into a cocked hat, you can even wheel it directly to the spot and just remove the wheel........simple:)

KevT

thecrow

Reaction score
I use a Powawalker trolley and find it is a very good piece of kit

They are a great bit of kit but it got to the stage that I couldn't walk quick enough to keep up with mine and if I went any slower it would struggle to get over grassy humps needed a burst of power which would see it out of my grip or me on the deck, not good in a field full of sheep and llama poo :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought one of those electric trolleys. I thought it would be the answer to all my infirmities. It turned out to be made out of scaffold pole and so heavy I didn't dare lift it into the boot for fear of hernia or back injury. Still can't work out who'd be ill enough to need one and well enough to handle it. I think it was meant for lazy fit guys.

Philip

Reaction score
Confession time.

For smaller roving loads I actually use a grannies shopping trolly..the sort with the big duffle bag on two wheels.

I suffer from a bad back so if I am roving and need to carry say allot of bait I stick it all in one of those and it takes all the weight.

I cannot believe how brilliant they are. In fact someone should market them at 8 times the price in camo for anglers.

If you decide to swallow your pride and take the plunge then pick one with a wide wheel base. Some are very narrow and topple too easily with a big load.

flightliner

Reaction score
Last week a carp angler on a Stillwater I know arrived with no tyre on his barrow. Apparently he had dropped it skew whiff when loaded causing the tyre to come away from its rim.
He couldn't move it so taking a knife he cut it off and arrived very noisily at his peg with the rim rattling like a Gud in ! :D

The bad one

Reaction score
Confession time.

For smaller roving loads I actually use a grannies shopping trolly..the sort with the big duffle bag on two wheels.
Wife keeps threatening me with buying one for what they were made for SHOPPING! :eek:mg::eek:
Said I don't need one I'll use my Penrose fishing trolly if I get that bad