pole confusion.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I was 60 this year and thought i would treat myself to a new pole ( £700-£900).
This was in august.
I have had my currant pole ( shimano exage ax) for 10yrs and also bought 2 extra spare top kits for it.This making 6 in total which is plenty for me.
The pole is still in really good condition so i am in no rush to change it.
I have been up to angling direct at sheffield (used to be climax tackle) a couple of times and looked in their pole alley.
I went yesterday and tried the Diwa C3,C4,G50,MAP 401,MAVER OCULUS999,maver definition.
As far as i could tell there was very little difference at 13m between any of them.None of them felt particularly light either but i am not exactly a body builder either.
There was also another fella looking for the same range of poles so we had a chat (as you do ;) ) and he was of the same opinion as me.

All i came away with was backache and being more confused than when i went in.
None of the poles jumped out at me at all so i have come to the conclusion i might as well keep the exage.
Am i being picky or am i right that there is not much difference in the poles in that price range.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Most poles in that price range and above are more or less the same at 13 metres, I have a G50, at 16 metres it is ok, but I wouldn't fish it
all day at that length,the same for all the other pole you mentioned,
ignore what the stated weight says about the pole at different lengths it is down to balance, a lighter pole may feel heavier when out at say 14 meters than one which is slighty heavier,this is due to balance, also don't forget that power kits fitted with thicker elastic will make the pole feel heavier than
match kits with lighter elastic,you are picking pole up in a "pole ally" where there is no elastic or bung in the top kits,
my advice would be if you want to change your pole,(by the way the exage is a great pole, if it still feels good to use why change it ?)
would be to ask someone you know who has a pole you think of getting to let you sit on as seatbox and try holding it at different lengths,
this would give you a feel of how balanced they are,compared to holding one in a pole ally
The G50 is out of your stated price range but made in the UK, the Maver is just over price range but spares could be a problem in a couple of years,The Daiwa matchwinner C3 or C4 are in your price range and are brilliant poles,i would go for one of those,
OR put your money to a 2nd hand Daiwa G50 and a couple of extra topkits,
or a 2nd hand Tricast pole,

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by what you write. I've stood in the pole-alley of a superstore and thought "Why would I want to splash out on this?". I'm using a Shimano pole from 1995 - a Diaflash - and whilst I've been tempted to "upgrade", I've felt the gains for a big outlay were marginal, if any. We might assume all tackle is continually improving, but for some items, such as classic (as opposed to carp) poles and floats rods, much of the current crop struggles to match up. Rather than replace, I spent £300 or so on two complete second-hand models, giving me plenty of spares.

I would concede that for fishing long, 13m and further, - some of the modern poles with their different build -wider diameter tubes - can be stiffer and more manageable in the wind. But I rarely fish matches now, choose my own pegs and fish where 11m or less is plenty long enough. I don't, it's true, use this pole on my occasional visits to commercials, although I know some who do without any issues.

But there's a price for building poles both wider bore and lighter/as light - fragility. Just look at the rate at which today's pole anglers are having to replace or repair broken sections. The pole I use weighs 635g at 11m, hardly heavy, has seen a massive amount of use and caught all kinds of accidental big fish from carp to pike, but has never had a section break.

It's an odd situation, when you're prepared to spend, within reason, but can't find anything better, but I've had much the same experience as you.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Kev, those Diaflash poles are brilliant, they will handle bigger fisg,
a friend used to dob bread on the surface with his to catch carp, never had a section break,
As I said I have the G5o, had carp to 15lb on using a power kit and 17h preston hollo with a side puller, its not something I would recommend, it was a bit hairy playing it, yet when I had a 14.5 metre shimano carp cruncher anything like that 15lb carp was like playing a 3lb F1 , no problems and no worries,
like you said a lot of "modern day" poles are having sections broken, this could be by bad angling or by pole design, I would say with the poles being lighter and stiffer some flexibility is lost,and anglers are trying to play fish as if the action is the same as on a previous pole they owned,

Last edited:

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's and advice fella's.
I have loved the exage since i first bought it and have had it a long time .
The only thing i worry about is if i break a section.
There was one on ebay new and unused but it was down cornwall or i might have had it.
I very rarely fish 13m or above anymore so i think i will keep the exage untill i am forced to replace it (break a section i can't replace ) or maybe just fish rod and line a bit more.
It will depend how old i am.:)..

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Fishcatcher60, try ringing Billy Clark fishing spares, I think they are in Sheffield
they will possibly have spares in for your exage, if so get what you think you may need now, in case at a later date they have none.

brookesey

Reaction score
I'm very much in agreement with Kev. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And that's the great thing about his and my diaflash. They are very difficult to break! I've got a new state of the art pole but it's proved to be fragile in my hands (I'm clearly too rough with it). So am currently back using the antique diaflash and have just picked up another one for relative peanuts and now have 5 x top 4 kits plus a spare section for every other number. I rarely have to fish more than 12.5 meters and it's better in the wind than modern poles because although slightly heavier, it's thinner than modern poles.

I think new fishing poles are like floats...they catch more anglers than fish! They're also like the latest golf drivers....they promise to make you better but in reality they are held back by the person holding it so they usually make no difference!

ravey

Reaction score
It might be worth bearing in mind that you can get sections repaired in the event of a section break. Joint Save or graphite spray can help prevent section wear. It seems you are happy with the pole you have, and these 'dodges' might keep you going for a bit longer.

nottskev

Reaction score
It might be worth bearing in mind that you can get sections repaired in the event of a section break. Joint Save or graphite spray can help prevent section wear. It seems you are happy with the pole you have, and these 'dodges' might keep you going for a bit longer.

Yes, Joint Save is definitely the secret of a long life. Not cheap at around £10 a bottle, but you only need treat the joints you unship at.

BTW, it will prevent wear on rod joints/spigots, too, or take up the bit of slack on joints that are already a bit worn.

A bit of candle in your box, too, is handy to rub on pole joints, if you find the Joint Save has worn off or things are grinding a bit, until you can re-apply at home.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
What do you fellas use as joint save?
How do you put it on?
Thanks for all the reply's fellas.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's just like putting on your nail varnish :)

js1.jpg

js2.jpg

It'll flake/wear off eventually, as you can see in the pic, but that's better than losing carbon off the joint!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's and advice fella's.
I have loved the exage since i first bought it and have had it a long time .
The only thing i worry about is if i break a section.
There was one on ebay new and unused but it was down cornwall or i might have had it.
I very rarely fish 13m or above anymore so i think i will keep the exage untill i am forced to replace it (break a section i can't replace ) or maybe just fish rod and line a bit more.
It will depend how old i am.:)..

A friend of mine is selling two shimano catana poles for £100 for both of them,
i am not sure if the sections are compatible with the exage, Gen X or Gen Z
he is based in warrington