After dark chub baits

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Does anyone change baits and tactics after dark when ledgering? Or do you stick to same maggots, worm, bread type baits?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I remember walking back past a gravelly, shallow stretch and being surprised at the number of bow-waves of chub, alarmed at being caught out on their night-time feeding-spot. Next time I get my chub head on, I'll look for a too-shallow-for-daylight area to sneak up on after dusk.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the same baits at night as I do in the daytime.

laguna

Reaction score
I firmly believe a mature blue cheese paste bait works better than any other in the dark or in turbid water. Chub are a shy species that will easily spook but can be enticed to come out to play from cover with a bit of smelly roquefort on the hook.
Daytime chub baits on the other hand can include almost anything from bread to live critters, as long as the angler keeps a low profile and doesn't disturb the swim.

20170307_151214.jpg

jimlad

Reaction score
Give small chunks of lamprey or raw steak a try. Work a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Chub will have anything as I guess we all know but I would err more towards smell as it gets dark.

Chub have good eyesight and I think during daylight hours in clear water use that as the primary way of locating food. However it stands to reason that they probably rely on sight less and scent/taste more as it gets too dark for them to see.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Jason

The other night on a small thames tributary (I don't think I'm that far from you, I'm in wolvercote) I had a couple of cracking chub on luncheon meat. I was trying to catch a barbel but that's another story! Anyway, the reason I mention it is because I don't think I'd have stuck a big lump of meat out in this particular stream during daylight.

That said, if I was trying to catch chub in the thames (or tribs) from now through until the close, I'd probably only be thinking about breadflake or cheesepaste, night or day. Those two baits just have the best track record for me. (Especially at that lovely half-light between day and night).

Molehill

Reaction score
I've always tended towards baits they can see in daylight and clear water and smell after dark or flood conditions. Bread being my number 1 daytime and dusk bait, then moving towards something smelly - which depends on what I happen to have in the freezer. In the end they will find it anyway.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Jason

The other night on a small thames tributary (I don't think I'm that far from you, I'm in wolvercote) I had a couple of cracking chub on luncheon meat. I was trying to catch a barbel but that's another story! Anyway, the reason I mention it is because I don't think I'd have stuck a big lump of meat out in this particular stream during daylight.

That said, if I was trying to catch chub in the thames (or tribs) from now through until the close, I'd probably only be thinking about breadflake or cheesepaste, night or day. Those two baits just have the best track record for me. (Especially at that lovely half-light between day and night).

Were you on the seacourt by any chance? And yes I know the feeling of trying to catch barbel around Oxford as well been doing a lot on the Cherwell lately and there's been plenty of good chub and bream but no sign of barbel yet.

And not far from you I'm in kidlington and down your way today on an old fogeys match on the canal at wolvercote, I'm gate reusing as the young one at 47.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Seacourt, yes - guilty as charged. It's a very fickle little stream, I've had a few sessions there where its been all promise and no action, however every time I think I'm going to knock it on the head, I catch something nice to keep me coming back.

I have to say, the main river around the entry point of the stream looks great too. I'm sure there would be a barbel in the main river, it's just hard to know where to start looking.

Since I moved I've had a couple of tries at the canal. I'm quite looking forward to the boat traffic calming down so I can get out there with the lure rod. It's not something I do a tremendous amount of but the mobility and the travelling light certainly appeal. I'd quite like to get my head around this drop shotting malarkey as well.

The Cherwell is certainly somewhere I'd like to fish, my kids play footie at Cutteslowe sometimes so I always seem to end up having a look in there. Are you fishing it higher up around Kidlington? I've got an ODAA ticket and North Oxford AS ticket, sure there's some bits of the Cherwell on them. Must give it a try sometime.

chub 79

Reaction score
My favourite after dark chub baits are boilies. I've caught plenty of chub in darkness of all sizes on dynamite source, usually fished on a short hook link bolt rig style. It's not very traditional but it is effective.

rubio

Reaction score
Don't think I have enough experience to say whether a particular bait is better at night but I do believe even the biggest, wariest chub roam the river after dark. I generally find there is little need for tricky casts under branches just keep quiet and plonk your bait where it can be easily found in each swim.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Don't think I have enough experience to say whether a particular bait is better at night but I do believe even the biggest, wariest chub roam the river after dark. I generally find there is little need for tricky casts under branches just keep quiet and plonk your bait where it can be easily found in each swim.

yes I think that is spot on...nearly all my chub fishing is done after dark at the moment and I currently feed 10 swims on the stretch I fish. all I do is drop a few bits of paste in each, pretty much in open water in a hole below shallows then fish them in rotation normally a bit will come on the first cast, if nothing after half hour I drop a bit more bait in and move on. sometimes I go back later to see again.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Seacourt, yes - guilty as charged. It's a very fickle little stream, I've had a few sessions there where its been all promise and no action, however every time I think I'm going to knock it on the head, I catch something nice to keep me coming back.

I have to say, the main river around the entry point of the stream looks great too. I'm sure there would be a barbel in the main river, it's just hard to know where to start looking.

Since I moved I've had a couple of tries at the canal. I'm quite looking forward to the boat traffic calming down so I can get out there with the lure rod. It's not something I do a tremendous amount of but the mobility and the travelling light certainly appeal. I'd quite like to get my head around this drop shotting malarkey as well.

The Cherwell is certainly somewhere I'd like to fish, my kids play footie at Cutteslowe sometimes so I always seem to end up having a look in there. Are you fishing it higher up around Kidlington? I've got an ODAA ticket and North Oxford AS ticket, sure there's some bits of the Cherwell on them. Must give it a try sometime.

Hi Jim...any barbel out of the stream this year?

the Cherwell I fish is at Thrupp in Kidlington, they have a long stretch all the way from there to the A34 and they are odaa affiliated. the Cherwell lower down becomes predominately roach, bream and perch.

if you need any info let me know

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Jim...any barbel out of the stream this year?

the Cherwell I fish is at Thrupp in Kidlington, they have a long stretch all the way from there to the A34 and they are odaa affiliated. the Cherwell lower down becomes predominately roach, bream and perch.

if you need any info let me know

I'm always hearing whispers and rumours from the regulars I chat to, not that I tend to see many people up there. So despite not catching any yet, I live in hope! Never mind, it's a lovely place to pass a couple of hours. Last couple of visits I've been trying to teach my ten year old lad to trot with a pin. He's got the hang of everything bar casting.... plenty of time to master that though. I'm really looking forward to it getting a bit more wintery and hopefully getting a bit more flow. It's been maggots all the time on the float rod since the summer, but I'll be switching to bread soon in the hope of finding some chub. It's a funny thing, in the summer we would always see loads of big chub there, but with the exception of that one session when I fished meat as dusk, I've not had any real success with the chub. With a bit of luck I can turn that round soon. It's funny, on streams like that I'm always caught in two minds whether to float fish or fish a static bait with a feeder, whereas on the main river it's feeder all the way.

That bit of the Cherwell near thrupp looks good on google maps. I think maybe next year i'll get the kidlington ticket (bought the littlemore ticket this year as I know their stretches near sandford, not that I've got anywhere near them this season!). Is there much in the way of parking up that way?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I might see you up there this winter then, I haven't had much time up there the last few years and like you say a lovely little stream.

The Kidlington length of the Cherwell has good parking, there's 3 car parks, one at Thrupp which is locked at night and secure which you can get a key for that is right next to the river. The next one is at St Mary's church then you follow the path across the field to the river. Then at the bottom end at Bransons bridge there is a secure car park right next to the river which you get a code to access...lots to go at and its fished better this year than it as for a long time. also you have the canal through Kidlington.

I'm at Godstow on Sunday on a north oxford match...Hopefully draw the nunnery and get a few big perch!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I might see you up there this winter then, I haven't had much time up there the last few years and like you say a lovely little stream.

The Kidlington length of the Cherwell has good parking, there's 3 car parks, one at Thrupp which is locked at night and secure which you can get a key for that is right next to the river. The next one is at St Mary's church then you follow the path across the field to the river. Then at the bottom end at Bransons bridge there is a secure car park right next to the river which you get a code to access...lots to go at and its fished better this year than it as for a long time. also you have the canal through Kidlington.

I'm at Godstow on Sunday on a north oxford match...Hopefully draw the nunnery and get a few big perch!

How far down does the match go? It's funny, I'm loathe to go that side of the bridge just because of the numbers of other people on the bank, dogs in the river, kids in the river etc.... obviously that will be different now with the weather changing a bit. Is that bit well known for big perch? Over to the trees opposite I'd imagine, I used to fish a bit very much like that in Abingdon that would become a perch hotspot this time of year.

Good luck, let me know how you get on!