New Match Reel Recommendations

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good man. The Legalis is a decent reel for the money.....I've very nearly taken one home several times and you are dead right about the handles. Ditto the Ninja....bar the stupid name and slightly blingy look which is my only real issue with Daiwa reels.

As you've probably worked out I am vociferous in my dislike of Shimano and their silly little spools, thin wire bail arms and stupid double handles. This is not to say they are not good reels but i really dont think they are as good as people make out. Daiwa all the way.

But don't pay any attention to me......as the double handled Shimano worshippers have already pointed out.

I've got two Daiwa TDR reels and one of them has a double handle. I have two shimano stradics which both have single handles ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
I've got two Daiwa TDR reels and one of them has a double handle. I have two shimano stradics which both have single handles ;).

That did not take you long Tigger,what do you like about the tdrs?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Good for you. I've just bought 2 Daiwa Emcasts which come with both single and double handles and an anti-reverse switch for us old dinosaurs who prefer to backwind.

They are also a sensible black colour.

mikench

Reaction score
I really like the Emcast ( as recommended by Binka) and it is the first reel where i have used and appreciated a good drag! It helps when you catch something which pulls back which my friends the bream seldom do!;) I also like the luminous symbol visible when the freespool facilty is operated:) All in all a great reel for the money!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That did not take you long Tigger,what do you like about the tdrs?

They feel solid and well made for starters Trotter. I like the distance they are from the rod handle when attached to it with regards to reaching the spool with your finger. This is great if your using one for trotting or maybe dabbing/holding the spool to stop line from being given by a lightly set drag etc. I like how smooth they run, and the fold away handle is a nice touch also. It's good that you get two alloy spools with them unlike the later shimanos that only supply one! The double handle is good as the actual grips are far enough away from one another so as you don't catch the one your not holding with your hand when winding.
The only thing i'm not struck on is the colour but in all honesty it has grown on me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are more single handle Shimano reels in the current catalogue than I can remember at any time in the last twenty five years or so. I've bought plenty of Shimano reels in the last few years, not one has had a double handle.

The number of reels that have no anti-reverse is, at least for the moment, minimal. It's only a "feature" of a limited number of reels in the range. Anyone trying to imply that all Shimanos have double handles and no anti-reverse switch is exaggerating to the point of absurdity.

I've no qualms with anyone preferring something else and I'm not entirely convinced with the direction Shimano seem to be heading. There are plenty of perfectly valid criticisms of certain aspects of Shimano designs without there being any need to make anything up. I have laid into a supposed Shimano representative elsewhere.

I will defend Shimano, but only from misinformation. I won't resort to running down Daiwa as a perverse way of defending Shimano. Whilst I can understand brand loyalty, I can't get that at all. Besides, I know full well that Daiwa make some good reels. However, I've not enough experience of most Daiwa reels to say much at all about them. I can't recommend them, but equally, I can't slate them. The only exception being the 1657DM, I've owned one of them. The best I can say for it is that it prompted over twenty five years of buying Shimano. I think it's the worst supposedly decent reel I've ever owned. Though I may not be buying them, it still hasn't made me believe that all Daiwa reels are rubbish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chris, you know i'm a fan of both shimano rods and reels. One thing that does give me confidence in shimano reels is the fact they make some of the top gearing systems for push bikes and have done so for a long time so it stands to reason that if they make such good gearing for bikes they can produce the same sort of standard for a fishing reel easy enough.
Until I got the TDR reels I hadn't had a daiwa reel since being a kid and I didn't like them way back then. I have had hold of some over the years though and they've never impressed me enough to steer my attention away from shimano reels.

trotter2

Reaction score
What I like about the tdrs is the spool is bigger which does give a smoother trotter. The bail is thicker and has a feeling off being stronger and more robust. The quick drag is like it says very fast to adjust from zero to fast on. The quick fold handle is a nice touch. And the drag system is the smoothest I have experienced working with light 2lb reel lines. And it's built to last very solid. Lastly the cranking power is unreal compared to what I have had in the past.
Can't rate them high enough really. Superb.

Last edited:

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Hi sam vimes.
I also like shimano reels but they are not making things easy for themselves with the lack of info on their new reels.
For example weather they have an anti reverse switch or not and if i am not mistaken are they also not supplying spare spools with some reels as well.
I don't know why they are going down this route unless they are just testing the water as far as the UK market is concerned.
I just want simple and precise info.
Not too much to ask for i don't think.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hi sam vimes.
I also like shimano reels but they are not making things easy for themselves with the lack of info on their new reels.
For example weather they have an anti reverse switch or not and if i am not mistaken are they also not supplying spare spools with some reels as well.
I don't know why they are going down this route unless they are just testing the water as far as the UK market is concerned.
I just want simple and precise info.
Not too much to ask for i don't think.

I don't particularly disagree, and I threw all of those points, and quite a few more, at what was supposedly a Shimano marketing bloke very recently.
The Maggotdrowners Forum - Ultimate match/feeder reel
Whether or not they supply a spare spool has always been hit and miss. I've bought Shimanos that have had three spools supplied. Then there are those with just one. It's been that way for years. Other manufacturers, including Daiwa, are just as inconsistent in this respect. My biggest bugbear with regards to Shimano spare spools is when they do supply a spare that's a different material to the original. I hate that with a passion.

As I've already said, there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons to criticize Shimano. There's no need whatsoever to make anything up, or exaggerate for effect. I've no qualms whatsoever with anyone buying an alternative. However, slating Shimano because none of their reels come with spare spools, have single handles, have large diameter spools or have an anti-reverse switch, is patently and demonstrably untrue. It would be akin to me saying all Diawa reels have a poorly executed auto-bail, dismal drag, horribly dated style, and poor build quality, because that's my genuine experience of the 1657DM.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply sam.
I can't argue with anything you have said.
I have always favoured shimano's for more years than i care to mention with the odd daiwa.One was also the 1657dm which i thought was truly terrible but a lot of people still like them.
I have never bought a daiwa since but then again i can't afford the higher priced reels but i think it all depends which was your first decent reel.
In my case it was the aero match 111 which i still regret selling.Even all those years ago the reel had 3 shallow spools.
All i can think is that they are not selling as many reels in the uk as in other countries.
All i want from shimano is clear and concise info.
It's not rocket science.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Are you serious Skippy?....I had no idea you didn't like 'em, I thought you liked Daiwa reels :confused:.

I'm always serious :rolleyes:

I do, generally, like Daiwa reels over Shimano but not in every case. Most Daiwa reels have bigger diameter spools than the equivalent Shimmy which is IMO a serious plus and a sensible bail arm. The bigger ( feeder/speccy/carp) reels tend to be smaller than Shimano too.....also a plus point for me as I utterly detest great big reels.

I don't like blue or red ( or gold for that matter) reels irrespective of manufacturer. I find that unnecessary and annoying and yes it does matter to me. Reels should be black or gunmetal grey...preferably matt. I utterly fail to see the point of a shiny red/blue/silver/gold reel.

Years ago I was almost exclusively reeled up with Shimanos but didn't really get on with any of them. As time passed I found that I'd slowly but surely replaced all of them with Daiwas.I do have a couple of the baby Shimmy bairunners ( DL 2500) and they are crackers....ive even got used to the double handle.

I just generally don't like the design and feel of Shimano reels. I never ever said they were bad reels.....just not as good as some people insist. That said I've never owned a top of the range offering from either Daiwa or Shimano.....and never will. I refuse to pay that sort of money.

And I want an anti reverse on my reels thank you. I don't care how good you think your drags are. I'll be the judge of that.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
The trouble with judging reels solely by make is that manufacturers often switch production lines and cut costs, yesterdays marquee brands are often today's Chinese tat. Ok that may be exaggerating the point but it's something a good tackle shop can help you with, find a reel you like the feel of then after a little while if you're happy buy another, that way you have should have the spare spools needed for the different bs lines plus a spare reel.

Molehill

Reaction score
A heavyweight contest between Shimano in the red corner and Daiwa in the blue corner, after 12 hard fought rounds I declare......a draw.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The trouble with judging reels solely by make is that manufacturers often switch production lines and cut costs, yesterdays marquee brands are often today's Chinese tat. Ok that may be exaggerating the point but it's something a good tackle shop can help you with, find a reel you like the feel of then after a little while if you're happy buy another, that way you have should have the spare spools needed for the different bs lines plus a spare reel.

That's always been the case. One thing I often see is people complaining that the modern Stradic GTM-RC isn't as good as the original Japanese Stradic GTM. They see a white reel, with double handles, a similar name and it gives them certain expectations. It's an entirely valid point, though there are a few things about the newer reels that are improvements. However, most of those that complain fail to recognise the relative costs and place in the reel hierarchy. The original Stradic GTM was well in excess of £100 twenty five years ago. It was the top of the range rear drag reel of the time (until the Stradic X GTM appeared). A modern reel of comparable quality should be at least £150, probably more. The reality is that the latest Stradic GTM-RC generally sells for less than £100 and is only top of the rear drag range by virtue of Shimano completely binning the reels that were more expensive (Twinpowers, Biomasters). Even with tech improvements and manufacturing efficiencies taken into account, it's unrealistic to expect a reel costing less than £100 now to be better than a reel that was more than £100 twenty five years back.