New Match Reel Recommendations

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They may well have been in their time, but, as far as I'm aware, they weren't a Tom Pickering model.

I don't know how many models they actually made with his name on them, but I know of two amorphous Tournament rods with his name on them. They did the stickfloat supreme (which I had) and the waggler version which I would have liked to have had.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't know how many models they actually made with his name on them, but I know of two amorphous Tournament rods with his name on them. They did the stickfloat supreme (which I had) and the waggler version which I would have liked to have had.

Four, I think, though there undoubtedly more, hence the confusion. The biggest issue is that Daiwa used to chuck so many names on their rods that it gets very confusing. Then people further confuse the issue by missing bits of the full names off. Matchwinner, Matchwinner-S, Whisker Kevlar Connoisseur and Team Daiwa Connoisseur (the purple one) are the Tom(my) Pickering rods that I'm familiar with. I have seen one of the Tournaments described as being a Tom Pickering rod, but most people seem to omit his name in descriptions of the Tournament rods.

I've had both Matchwinner and Matchwinner-S. As well as "Tommy Pickering", they also had "Amorphous" and "Whisker" as part of the full gobbledegook on the rod. I've seen them described with various parts of the full spiel missed out completely. The only reliable way of identifying old Daiwa rods is the code. However, it doesn't help much that so many of the late 80s/early 90s match rods suffer quite badly with faded graphics.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Four, I think, though there undoubtedly more, hence the confusion. The biggest issue is that Daiwa used to chuck so many names on their rods that it gets very confusing. Then people further confuse the issue by missing bits of the full names off. Matchwinner, Matchwinner-S, Whisker Kevlar Connoisseur and Team Daiwa Connoisseur (the purple one) are the Tom(my) Pickering rods that I'm familiar with. I have seen one of the Tournaments described as being a Tom Pickering rod, but most people seem to omit his name in descriptions of the Tournament rods.

I've had both Matchwinner and Matchwinner-S. As well as "Tommy Pickering", they also had "Amorphous" and "Whisker" as part of the full gobbledegook on the rod. I've seen them described with various parts of the full spiel missed out completely. The only reliable way of identifying old Daiwa rods is the code. However, it doesn't help much that so many of the late 80s/early 90s match rods suffer quite badly with faded graphics.

Yeaph, as you say they made so many different rods with various names on. I think there was an amorphous coil also.
Looking at the rods they produce today it's a similar story.

mike243win

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently decided to upgrade my float fishing reels. I had three Drennan FD 3000 float reels that were starting to get slightly 'grindy,' so they need to be replaced.

My rods are 13 foot Drennan Acolytes and matchpro ultralights, plus a 13 foot / 15 foot drennan floatmaster combo. I fish waggler, stickfloat and bolo on rivers, and wagglers on canals.

Budget is about 100 quid per reel, and a spare spool is a must. I like the look of the Daiwa Ninjas (even though they're far cheaper than my budget).

Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

I have half a dozen 4000 Ninja's mostly on made up feeder rods, for my float fishing I like the Daiwa 125m closed faced reels, the only open faced reel I use is for fishing a slider which is a 4000 Ninja, for the money they are superb, not a TDR but for a third of the price there is little difference, my only complaint is there are no shallow spools available

jimlad

Reaction score
I was being fairly careful to avoid mentioning the spliced tip versions, simply because there's virtually no chance of getting a modern variation on the spliced tip theme. Also, I'd happily lump the Matchwinner Waggler into the same comparison anyway.

When it comes to the Acolytes, I'd struggle to recommend another current rod over them for river work, including the odd rod that costs more. It wouldn't be as clear cut when it comes to stillwater waggler or in comparison to some older rods. Where the Acolytes do score very highly is in regards to weight. They are phenomenally light in hand. The only rods I have that come close are Normarks. Ultimately, I believe that the Acolytes are a bit of a bargain. Being current, easily available and having spares available makes them a damned good choice. However, I'm not entirely convinced that the finish or fittings are quite up to the standard of the very best. Though I have my own theory on the reported Acolyte breakages, and the three I own have been fine, I wonder whether they are a little less than robust enough for some.

I've just obtained a 14ft matchpro ultralight, not a rod I've used before now. As you know I'm an acolyte fan, however I was extremely impressed with the matchpro on my last outing. I almost wonder if the acolytes are just too light sometimes (in weight)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've just obtained a 14ft matchpro ultralight, not a rod I've used before now. As you know I'm an acolyte fan, however I was extremely impressed with the matchpro on my last outing. I almost wonder if the acolytes are just too light sometimes (in weight)

I don't know if it's actually possible to have a rod that's too light (weight). You've got to wonder if striving for lightness makes a rod a bit too delicate for many people though. That may also explain why other manufacturers aren't rushing to chase Drennan down the super light road.

No doubt that balance can be wrong. Relatively heavy rods can feel reasonably light in the hand when well balanced and lighter rods can feel terribly heavy if the balance is all wrong. I'd suspect that your liking of a Matchpro Ultralight will have more to do with the action and/or balance suiting you than just bare weight figures.

I don't mind the Matchpro Ultralights, I have one myself. I prefer the action of the Ultralight for waggler work. Beyond that, I tend to think of the Matchpro Ultralight as equivalent to the Acolyte Ultra but with a slightly more through action. It's a bit cheaper, which usually means a smidge heavier, but it's by no means too heavy.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Agreed again. I thought the Acolyte Ultra was so similar to the Ultralight I already had that there was no point having one. I went for the Acolyte Plus instead....just a tad firmer which is what I wanted.

I had one at 13ft which is my favourite length for a float rod...i have shorter but not longer cos i just dont get on withnlonger rods. I tried to like the AP at 14 ft but it was an entirely different animal to the 13 ft version. Balance and action felt quite different....tbh somewhere between ordinary and not very nice.

jimlad

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear. My liking of the matchpro wasn't to do with its weight or balance, more it's action, ability to pick up line on the strike and the feel of playing a fish. Technically I don't know why I liked it so much (I'm sure I'll figure out the reasons with more use!), it was just bloody good to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
Jim I had a matchpro 14 ft about a year ago ,I had it for about two years but never really used it much.
Its a a nice rod a little softer maybe down the blank compared to the acolyte ultra I now have.
For years I used nothing but spliced tip rods for stick float fishing so maybe it more the action I like, the acolyte being more tip action is probably more like what I am used too.

A mate of mine who fishes the matches has the 15 ft matchpro and loves it .:thumbs: