Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default New Match Reel Recommendations

Hi,

I have recently decided to upgrade my float fishing reels. I had three Drennan FD 3000 float reels that were starting to get slightly 'grindy,' so they need to be replaced.

My rods are 13 foot Drennan Acolytes and matchpro ultralights, plus a 13 foot / 15 foot drennan floatmaster combo. I fish waggler, stickfloat and bolo on rivers, and wagglers on canals.

Budget is about 100 quid per reel, and a spare spool is a must. I like the look of the Daiwa Ninjas (even though they're far cheaper than my budget).

Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

Default Re: New Match Reel Recommendations

Shimano straidcs with the fighting drag, I think you'd get a couple for 140 quid.

As there are two current Shimano Stradics with Fightin' Drag, I'll guess that Tigger means the Stradic GTM-RCs.

4. Default Re: New Match Reel Recommendations

Thanks for the recommendations, gents, i'll check them out

5. Default Re: New Match Reel Recommendations

I've just looked at the links - would the 2500 size be good for float fishing?

Bought a Diawa TDX which has been back to the manufacturers twice and now the release button on the FD spool has popped out and doesn't want to go back, for a reel with an rrp of £300 I'm disappointed and would not buy another Diawa reel.

Use a Shimano Ci4 Rarenium for trotting, very light and has given me no problems at all. I've got a 3000 Stradic, a 6000 baitrunner and an old Aero 2500, they appear bullet proof so would be my choice of manufacturer. These may be (just) within budget

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB Reel

Just seen Sam's post, at that price they're bargains
    PS Pay no attention to any comments from S-Kippy
    Last edited by itsfishingnotcatching; 30-10-2017 at 18:55.
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Quote Originally Posted by itsfishingnotcatching View Post
    These may be (just) within budget

Minor snag is that they aren't supplied with a spare spool. A major snag for some is that they also have no anti-reverse switch. Backwinding in any form is simply not an option. Rather like mine though.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Minor snag is that they aren't supplied with a spare spool. A major snag for some is that they also have no anti-reverse switch. Backwinding in any form is simply not an option. Rather like mine though.
    Cheers Chris, just checked on the extra spool, they don't have one

Wish I'd bought the extra spool for mine rather than buying the Diawa!
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Quote Originally Posted by itsfishingnotcatching View Post
    Bought a Diawa TDX which has been back to the manufacturers twice and now the release button on the FD spool has popped out and doesn't want to go back, for a reel with an rrp of £300 I'm disappointed and would not buy another Diawa reel.

Use a Shimano Ci4 Rarenium for trotting, very light and has given me no problems at all. I've got a 3000 Stradic, a 6000 baitrunner and an old Aero 2500, they appear bullet proof so would be my choice of manufacturer. These may be (just) within budget

Just seen Sam's post, at that price they're bargains
    PS Pay no attention to any comments from S-Kippy
    I too am a Shimano guy - I have the latest Aero 4000 FA which I love. About £90-100 new.
    Has a double handle though which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but having used stradics and bait runners, I don't think i could go back to a single handle now.

10. Default Re: New Match Reel Recommendations

Okay, the lack of a spare spool on the stradic c14s is a problem. Also I couldn't live without a backwind - I'm a bit old school, and I don't play fish off the clutch. Any opinions on the Daiwa Legalis Match?

Would much prefer a single handle, too.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast