New Match Reel Recommendations

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently decided to upgrade my float fishing reels. I had three Drennan FD 3000 float reels that were starting to get slightly 'grindy,' so they need to be replaced.

My rods are 13 foot Drennan Acolytes and matchpro ultralights, plus a 13 foot / 15 foot drennan floatmaster combo. I fish waggler, stickfloat and bolo on rivers, and wagglers on canals.

Budget is about 100 quid per reel, and a spare spool is a must. I like the look of the Daiwa Ninjas (even though they're far cheaper than my budget).

Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shimano straidcs with the fighting drag, I think you'd get a couple for 140 quid.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Bought a Diawa TDX which has been back to the manufacturers twice and now the release button on the FD spool has popped out and doesn't want to go back, for a reel with an rrp of £300 I'm disappointed and would not buy another Diawa reel.

Use a Shimano Ci4 Rarenium for trotting, very light and has given me no problems at all. I've got a 3000 Stradic, a 6000 baitrunner and an old Aero 2500, they appear bullet proof so would be my choice of manufacturer. These may be (just) within budget

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB Reel

Just seen Sam's post, at that price they're bargains
PS Pay no attention to any comments from S-Kippy :rolleyes::D

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Minor snag is that they aren't supplied with a spare spool. A major snag for some is that they also have no anti-reverse switch. Backwinding in any form is simply not an option. Rather like mine though.

Cheers Chris, just checked on the extra spool, they don't have one :(

Wish I'd bought the extra spool for mine rather than buying the Diawa!

stevejay

Reaction score
Bought a Diawa TDX which has been back to the manufacturers twice and now the release button on the FD spool has popped out and doesn't want to go back, for a reel with an rrp of £300 I'm disappointed and would not buy another Diawa reel.

Use a Shimano Ci4 Rarenium for trotting, very light and has given me no problems at all. I've got a 3000 Stradic, a 6000 baitrunner and an old Aero 2500, they appear bullet proof so would be my choice of manufacturer. These may be (just) within budget

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB Reel

Just seen Sam's post, at that price they're bargains
PS Pay no attention to any comments from S-Kippy :rolleyes::D

I too am a Shimano guy - I have the latest Aero 4000 FA which I love. About £90-100 new.
Has a double handle though which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but having used stradics and bait runners, I don't think i could go back to a single handle now.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
Okay, the lack of a spare spool on the stradic c14s is a problem. Also I couldn't live without a backwind - I'm a bit old school, and I don't play fish off the clutch. Any opinions on the Daiwa Legalis Match?

Would much prefer a single handle, too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, the lack of a spare spool on the stradic c14s is a problem. Also I couldn't live without a backwind - I'm a bit old school, and I don't play fish off the clutch. Any opinions on the Daiwa Legalis Match?

No point paying extra money for a reel with a good drag then. You might aswell buy something cheaper really...or use a centrepin ;).

puffer_

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently decided to upgrade my float fishing reels. I had three Drennan FD 3000 float reels that were starting to get slightly 'grindy,' so they need to be replaced.

My rods are 13 foot Drennan Acolytes and matchpro ultralights, plus a 13 foot / 15 foot drennan floatmaster combo. I fish waggler, stickfloat and bolo on rivers, and wagglers on canals.

Budget is about 100 quid per reel, and a spare spool is a must. I like the look of the Daiwa Ninjas (even though they're far cheaper than my budget).

Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

I've got a Ninja and a white Stradic. The Ninja is a much nicer reel in my opinion, despite being cheaper. I've always loved both Shimano and Daiwa, but the white Stradic isn't up to their usual standards in my opinion. The Ninja is a fantastic reel and superb for the money.

sam vimes

Reaction score

With those further restrictions and caveats, I'd suggest you look at the Shimano Super GT-RD. Not the lightest reel in the world, but the oversized spool means that using a smaller model isn't an issue. It's a solid reel let down by what I feel isn't the best drag in the world. However, if you are a dedicated backwinder, the drag isn't an issue. It's also a single handle model and comes with a spare spool. As an added bonus, the spools also come with reducers.

If you aren't bothered by having oversized spools, then the Exage RC is worth a look, especially at around £40. The snag here is that Eric's appear to only have the double handle variant in stock.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got a Ninja and a white Stradic. The Ninja is a much nicer reel in my opinion, despite being cheaper. I've always loved both Shimano and Daiwa, but the white Stradic isn't up to their usual standards in my opinion. The Ninja is a fantastic reel and superb for the money.

I've had stradics with the rear fighting drag for many years and they've been excellent reels. I have the FJ front drag stradics at the moment and again they're great but you only get one spool! Not too long ago I got hold of a couple of daiwa TDR reels and they are very nice, and have the added bonus of an extra spool...but then again you do pay for it : mg:.

trotter2

Reaction score
Personaly I would go for a second hand daiwa tdr if you can find one. The daiwa comes with two spool and you can back wind. Or if you are stuck on shimano the exage is a nice reel at a good price. It has two spools and an anti reverse so you can back wind.
I would not look at any other makes of reel daiwa or shimano nothing else.

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm in much the same boat and find the advice interesting, I fish a 15ft acolyte with a fd300 reel, but after only a couple of seasons I'm finding some wear and wobble in reel. My reels don't have a lot of use, but I'm quite hard on them when I do fish.

I'm starting to look for a suitable upgrade next year, that would last a while, but find the makes and choices a minefield and all the letters attached to models meaningless. Ideal is front drag, excellent clutch (I play fish off the clutch), suitable for lighter lines and 2 spools essential. The drennan having 3 spools was a good selling point to me. Could pay up to £150 for a good, reliable reel that will last.

ravey

Reaction score
My recommenation woul be for a secondhand Daiwa TDS 2503CU or the slightly earlier TDS 2500iA. I also use the larger TDDS 3003CU model for feeder fishing. The 2500/2503 size reels are perfect for me (and I'm very fussy!) when float fishing as the spools are shallow, but really easy to reach with the index finger (I hold the reel with the stem between second and third fingers). The line lay is superb (unlike my TDRs) even with fine lines, and it doesn't create problems with line twist (like my Stradic 2500 FA and FB do). They are quite old reels, but you should be able to find one or two well within budget, and good condition ones come up for sale reasonable regularly (the prices are high, but worth it).

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Daiwa 1657 DM they are being phased out after over 25 years,
should pick one up for around £50, they come with a spare spool, both spools are shallow taking around 110 yards of 3lb line,
they are Daiwas version of the Mitchell match, but you can also close the bail arm manually,the cranking power is brilliant and make great river or stillwater reels.I have one of the originals (before the one touch folding handle model) and it is still going strong after 25+ years.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Good man. The Legalis is a decent reel for the money.....I've very nearly taken one home several times and you are dead right about the handles. Ditto the Ninja....bar the stupid name and slightly blingy look which is my only real issue with Daiwa reels.

As you've probably worked out I am vociferous in my dislike of Shimano and their silly little spools, thin wire bail arms and stupid double handles. This is not to say they are not good reels but i really dont think they are as good as people make out. Daiwa all the way.

But don't pay any attention to me......as the double handled Shimano worshippers have already pointed out.

Last edited:

puffer_

Reaction score
I've had stradics with the rear fighting drag for many years and they've been excellent reels. I have the FJ front drag stradics at the moment and again they're great but you only get one spool! Not too long ago I got hold of a couple of daiwa TDR reels and they are very nice, and have the added bonus of an extra spool...but then again you do pay for it : mg:.

I'd like to try the newer Stradic Ci4 reels. I recently had to choose a small reel for drop shotting and it was between the little Ci4 and the Daiwa Gekkawhatsit, went for the Daiwa, but only slightly swung that way because my rod is a Gekkadoodaa as well :p

I don't know what it is about the white Stradic that I don't get on with, and it's not a bad reel, it just doesn't feel as good as it could be. When I first got it, the rear drag knob came off and caused a headache. Perhaps it just made me question the quality after never having an issue with Shimano gear previously. It's still landed me some good fish!