Suggest a really light rod that folds down to 3ft or less

john step

Reaction score
Would you mind explaining what a sliding reel seat is?

It could be an absolute bargain but it's collection only, and Leamington Spa is miles away.

Sliding reel seat. As per older rods. I still have some rods like this. They work OK b ut not as good a fix a modern screw jobs.

150_5030_orig_med_zps34dbec23.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

john step

Reaction score
Re reading your opening thread, I feel the JW Travel Avon would be the closest you will get to what you want.
It would be goo d to invest in a trip to a dealer who has one I think to have a look and feel.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Sliding reel seat. As per older rods. I still have some rods like this. They work OK b ut not as good a fix a modern screw jobs.

150_5030_orig_med_zps34dbec23.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Ah yes, thanks John. My first proper rod was a 9ft ledger rod and relied on friction to hold the reel on, many's the time it fell off.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Re reading your opening thread, I feel the JW Travel Avon would be the closest you will get to what you want.
It would be goo d to invest in a trip to a dealer who has one I think to have a look and feel.

To be honest i have already bought this rod in my head. I'm just waiting to get in the good books.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Another Dave

Reaction score
Not yet in the good books but i asked the overly enthusiastic salesman at the local Angling Direct outlet to get me the Wilson travel rod in to have a look at it.

Mentioned this in passing later in the day and there were no objections, so i think we can just about get away with this guys.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Had a look at the Wilson rod today in the shop, fell in love straight away. Because i ordered in to look at it last Friday, the assistant was able to apply the black friday of discount (15%) so i scooped this for £45.04. John Step i owe you a beer or ten.

The baby baitrunner seems a tiny bit too light to balance it for continual hand held use but looks the part for ledgering. I'm not quite ready to join the pin people party, so i'm on the lookout for a nice trotting reel, don't mind spending a bit if the clutch is good enough to warrant the extra.

john step

Reaction score
Not sure about the weight issue but I love my Drennan series 7 float reel.
Comes with 3 shallow spools that require less to fill and has a quality feel that belies its price.
Its small enough to make casting a doddle with my reach of finger to the spool.

The only thing I found to its detriment is there are various rubber buttons supplied with various bs. strengths that you fit into the top of the spool. They dont seem to pop in and stay for me, so I don't use them.
Tippex and pen inside the drum seems to work OK.