Brolly and roving.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Do any use a brolly while roving the river ? Fixed my brolley in my rod sleeve and weighs a ton now.

Any super lightweight ones about ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are lightweight brollies around but usually quite expensive.

Most of the lightweight ones I've seen (or used) have been relatively flimsily designed and have not lasted all that long.

Depending on your definition of "lightweight" then you might like to look at the Korum 50" Graphite Brolly but even that is 2.6kg.

Like most Korum products it is very well made using decent materials. The RRP is in the region of £75 but can be obtained for much less . . . .

Korum 50inch Graphite Brolly

The usual disclaimer . . . . I have no association with Korum but am simply a user of their well made kit.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There are lightweight brollies around but usually quite expensive.

mist of the lightweight ones I've seen (or used) have been relatively flimsily designed and have not lasted ll that long.

Depending on your definition of "lightweight" then you might like to look at the Korum 50" Graphite Brolly but even that is 2.6kg.

Like most Korum products it is very well made using decent materials. The RRP is in the region of £75 but can be obtained for much less . . . .

Korum 50inch Graphite Brolly

The usual disclaimer . . . . I have no association with Korum but am simply a user of their well made kit.
Pete I like korum kit alot but it's odd alot of the preston stuff I don't. Not tried any of the avid stuff yet .

I'm thinking to get rid of my mk2 accessory chair as got a roving chair and much lighter but I have to buy the any chair adapters now .

Il have a look at the brolly .

Do many river anglers just sit there in waterproofs if there is rain ?

trotter2

Reaction score
I don't take one,just use an ex army gortex coat and trousers ,or waders keep your legs dry.
The lightweight brolly I had was useless.
Kept blowing inside out.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I don't take one,just use an ex army gortex coat and trousers ,or waders keep your legs dry.
The lightweight brolly I had was useless.
Kept blowing inside out.
Got some waterproof trousers and a smock thing

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
To make life easy and avoid discomfort lugging heavy expensive gear with you....

Do what I do...

Watch the weather forecast before you venture out...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
To make life easy and avoid discomfort lugging heavy expensive gear with you....

Do what I do...

Watch the weather forecast before you venture out...
That's all good but I get limited fishing time so I normally go 2 full days a month and go regardless fitting other activities in with family life . Still waters no problem normally as the van not that far away .

Thanks anyway Peter. Il just go with water proofs

no-one in particular

Reaction score
With Peter C a bit on that, however what I use if light to medium showers forecast are those ponchos from the pound shop, 3 for a quid. One in your pocket and roll up and use again and again, they roll up to about 4 inches with an elastic band and no weight to worry about. When sat on a small chair I use they pretty much cover the legs as well. They are a bit flimsy and irritate in the wind and you don't look very angler/sophisticated personified but Angelina J hardly gonna turn up. So not a bad compromise for roving about and not getting wet from the odd shower or two if you don't want to lug a heavy brolly around..

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
The point of roving or stalking is to keep moving to track the fish. This means going light. All you need is a rod set up, landing net and a rucksack for the bits and pieces. Depending on the time of year clothes wise, i use a light 2 piece suit stuffed in the bag for summer use. Spring and autumn i carry an ex-army Gortex poncho. In the winter the padded suits come out. As i don't feel the cold that much and i can walk anything up to 6 miles i don't go over the top with the winter suits. Nothing worse than sweating like a pig inside your clothes.

steve2

Reaction score
I never take a brolly on roving session or anything that makes me sit in one place too long. I do take rollup waterproof trousers and jacket if the weather look iffy.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I never take a brolly on roving session or anything that makes me sit in one place too long. I do take rollup waterproof trousers and jacket if the weather look iffy.
Well it's not typical roving but giving a swim a hour or 2

Philip

Reaction score
If your get wet like a fish your more likely to think like a fish so I'm with the guys saying ditch the brolly ;):D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If your get wet like a fish your more likely to think like a fish so I'm with the guys saying ditch the brolly ;):D
You will smelly like a fish by end of day hopefully .... Well if a shoal of bream turn up !

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Just bought a Korum graphite, lighter than most alternatives, but for roving it's waterproofs, quiver, bait pouch or small stool/rucksack combination. The brolly will probably only get used on canals or pools when weather conditions dictate I avoid the rivers

Molehill

Reaction score
Most of the river stretches I fish I can hardly get a chair down never mind a brolly. If it's light rain, drizzle, showers I always carry waterproofs of some description (depending on time of year and temperature).

If heavy rain I prefer to stay at home, or if committed to fishing I have to lug the brolly down to a bigger swim and fish the day or evening in the one place - watching the rain from underneath the brolly!

Bait is always in a plastic tub, current favourite being an empty mouse poison one - I've taken the label off so other anglers don't suffer apoplexy when they see it - and have a large dustbin liner which I put my rucksack inside when the rain comes down. Keeps the worst of the wet off.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Only a chair due to the ti.e of year ie wet and cold ground . Most my bits fit in s bucket and the bag has waterproofs in and a flask and my grub

The bad one

Reaction score
Being old and knackered with most bits of me falling apart these days and expectations greater than my abilities, I like my comforts these days. So the word “roving” is open to interpretation, in the sense, I'll go as far down the river as I can get using my trusty Penrose trolley.
Styles being defiantly out, so I tend to stick to lengths that have gates on them or no obstacles at all.

The trolley gives me the freedom to take a brolly but a light one of 45 inch that I made. I say made, but the reality is, I constructed it out several brollies I've found over the years. The frame from a 45 er I found on a still water locally. The cover a very lightweight one, which was brand new and found on a brolly with smashed/broken ribs someone had been using on a local reservoir in a storm. I bet they were very p***ed off about the wreckage on that day.
Their loss my gain!
The central pole from an old brolly I'd had for years, put away in the spears department just in case it would come in useful at some time in the future before I die.

Yes I am a hoarder....just in case you were wondering? But as I tell her indoors, I hoard useful stuff not cr*p! :D
I've had this brolly about 7 years now and it's still going strong. To compensate for the smaller cover size I take a Gortex jacket and over trousers to add another layer of dryness to my old bones.

The other brolly I keep in the car is the bigger golf type one, this goes in the sling if the weather predicts light short showers during my fishing time. The one I currently have can cover me and my chair whilst I'm sat on it and weighs about 2 lb.
I'd suggest that in conjunction with the waterproofs carrying one of these brollies for roving would be a good investment indeed.
Works for me most of the time under the stated circumstances!