The centrepin reel thread......

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Handles on the 1st reel are fine.....put those on the 3rd reel and I'll fight you for it.

The handles on the 3rd reel look like they belong on a tube of toothpaste and I'd be doubly dischuffed if I'd forked out 6-700 sovs on a reel,waited 18 months and it rocked up wearing those.

My much loved Bewick sports fake ivory handles not the white plastic nightmares found on the later production runs. Looks proper.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I could never pay that sort of sum for a 'pin and I have plenty of different variants to choose from. Why that price? Purely because there is a specific and consistent market out there. Similarly, the limited production runs of the various "Perfection" range are invariably pre-ordered before any tools/hands touch any metal.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I said this

I have seen CNC produced reels that look imo just as good that will last just as long and although they are expensive they are cheaper than a lot of the other reels.

It was with reels such as this that I had in mind.

The quality of the above reel is obvious even to me who views items of tackle as just tools but the reel is one made on a CNC machine. I doubt that there are any differences between the one pictured and one that is claimed to be handmade.

This is from Mr Lythes web page.

Working with new technologies I am now making the centrepin reels with a one piece backing plate with the bridge for the brass foot CNC profiled into it.

I know of several FM members who own and use the Hardy conquest so i'm not going to start slagging them off....they are decent reels.

thecrow

Reaction score
Didn't expect you to Ian your far to nice a bloke for that :) the piece from Chris Lythes site is quite revealing in that he also uses modern technology in the manufacture of his reels.

Just looked at the Perfection website and they are as all sold or waiting customer conformation as Neil said, they do make a range of "production reels" at £375 I have no idea what is meant by that term though ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It was with reels such as this that I had in mind.

My budget tends not to run to the Chris Lythe end of the spectrum. However, I own, and like, the Hardy Conquests. Only one type of pin I have would come close to being considered hand made. The reality is that it's a mass produced reel, but not on a big scale.

Looks are always subjective, so barely worth consideration. You either like the look of something or you don't. With the Conquests, price is an iffy proposition. People's perception of the Conquests has changed a little over time as many remember the much more attractive clearance prices and forget the £300+ original asking price.

At £300+ the likes of the MTC Millstream or Young Atom (and other, cheaper, Young reels if you are happy with bearing reels) come into contention.

Ultimately, I think you would notice the difference between the Lythe reels and the Hardy/Young reels if you got them together for closer inspection. For a start, I know that both the Hardy and Young reels have plastic mechanism components. Not the end of the world, and good plastics will last perfectly well if used appropriately. I'm not even bothering to consider the use of plastic handles here. They are pretty much ubiquitous regardless of price point.

You can get even cheaper reels with no hint of plastic components. However, my experience has been that these metal components are of a far higher quality on the likes of the Lythe reels.

Make of the following what you will, but I believe it shows the difference between component quality and how well reels at different price points are put together fairly well.

413635849.jpg

413635842.jpg

413635848.jpg

413635843.jpg

413635847.jpg

413635844.jpg

413635846.jpg

413635845.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could never pay that sort of sum for a 'pin and I have plenty of different variants to choose from. Why that price? Purely because there is a specific and consistent market out there. Similarly, the limited production runs of the various "Perfection" range are invariably pre-ordered before any tools/hands touch any metal.

You must know GM makes the reels for Perfection, nice reels but I sold mine on as imo they just weren't in the same league as CL's creations.
Neil, I know you like your pins, have you ever handled or used a Lythe reel?
Regarding prices, I would treble my money if I sold my CL reels ;).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
You must know GM makes the reels for Perfection, nice reels but I sold mine on as imo they just weren't in the same league as CL's creations.
Neil, I know you like your pins, have you ever handled or used a Lythe reel?
Regarding prices, I would treble my money if I sold my CL reels ;).

Yes I have, several times, and they were a joy to use, likewise with the Gary Mills products which are a rung or two below the Chris Lythe range in the desirability stakes.

At various times I had a lot of centrepins but sold a chunk of them over a period of time. I now have a few more inherited from my late uncles and probably won't buy any more. I tend to use all of them at various intervals with my "new" 1960's MK3 Triple Check Speedias being particular favourites that fall into the workhorse category.

speedia.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I have, several times, and they were a joy to use, likewise with the Gary Mills products which are a rung or two below the Chris Lythe range in the desirability stakes.

At various times I had a lot of centrepins but sold a chunk of them over a period of time. I now have a few more inherited from my late uncles and probably won't buy any more. I tend to use all of them at various intervals with my "new" 1960's MK3 Triple Check Speedias being particular favourites that fall into the workhorse category.

speedia.jpg

I've said I won't buy any more, i've said the same about rods etc but there's always something pops up that you fancy.
I remember your inheritance of your uncles tackle and how you had to go through it all....a double edged sword really I suppose :(.
I've had the speedia reels but not the wide drum triple check models like yours. They do have quite a following and a good reputation.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I remember your inheritance of your uncles tackle and how you had to go through it all....a double edged sword really I suppose :(.

Yes, all sorted now. Spent many hours on my own and with a few of their mates of a certain generation. Lots of memories, a few laughs, a few tears and a sense of responsibility really. I've had to agree a probate value for all that I've inherited which is an interesting and somewhat therapeutic process.

I've kept certain rods, reels, poles and a lot of other bits and pieces but others have happily gone to their close mates. More has gone to local club match sections.

A good chunk of their salmon gear from the 1950's/60's has gone to the Rod Room Museum at The Royalty Fishery and is now on display there. There is no way I would have a use for it, definitely wouldn't have sold it despite the monetary value, and it would've just sat in a cupboard or the attic until my time came. Also both Mick and Ron would've been highly amused at the thought of being remembered in that way :)

Ron_Mick312.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only seen larger animals carried in that fashion ! Great picture though, is that on the wall above their tackle?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've only seen larger animals carried in that fashion ! Great picture though, is that on the wall above their tackle?

Yes, I believe so. Space is at a premium so Tony Timms moves things around a bit!

They had a long walk to that bit of the Hants Avon at Sopley (from Winkton Weir) and I guess that was the best way to transport the fish (way before catch & release).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a couple more of my reels, first ones a Richard Carter aerial Gem, it's a four inch reel and if I remember rightly (without measuring it) it's about an inch wide......

This ones an old reel made in 1915, it's 4 1/2 inch by 1 1/8th. This reel is the smoothest running reel i've ever used and i've caught lots of fish with it, I think the last time I used it for barbel I had 28. As the old saying goes...."they don't make 'em like they used to" LOL....

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I thought you didn't like white plastic handles....

Nothing plastic there ..quality wood ! ...Love my MC reel & it spins for yonks on those super smooth bearings :D;):wh

philip-albums-misc-picture4845-reel-2-a.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Philip, is that a Frankenstein rod?

Philip

Reaction score
Actually its two rods banded together ...look closely ..you should be able to identify at least one of them, its a classic...& no laughing matter...thats a clue...

thecrow

Reaction score
I have had the handles replaced on both of the centrepins that I own, one now has handles made from rhino horn while the other is resplendent with tiger penis handles. ;)

mikench

Reaction score
I bet there is no stopping you now Graham! When you get fed up with them you can grind them up, add them to your coffee and warn the wife!:rolleyes: