Roving satchel bag ( game bag )

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Looking for a smallish satchel type bag for small river roving where on tge move where you can fit just basic bits of tackle . Box with end tackle , spool or 2 of hooklink , few leads and feeders and normal tools would take .

Thinking on one rather than a ruck sack as just slip onto shoulder while creeping . Trying to not make loads of noise .

I have come across daiwa game bags . Looking at number 3 bag .

Anyone seen one before ? Or any other suggestions

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought a bag that fits your description perfectly. Got it from my local shoe repairers that also sells hand luggage. Not the best pic but gives you an idea of size.

WGD7MkL.jpg

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I bought a bag that fits your description perfectly. Got it from my local shoe repairers that also sells hand luggage. Not the best pic but gives you an idea of size.

WGD7MkL.jpg
Yes that sort of thing would do . Plus would do for evening stalking session in summer or morning on float for tench .

tomino2112

Reaction score
Before you go spend ££ borrow old bag from someone and try if you actually like it. Thing with rucksacks is that they are very comfortable and with hard back actually good for you. You need to make sure you will be ok having something hanging of your shoulder or around your neck for hours.

When I do rowing I tend not to take rucksack off, only to re-tackle.

I think best thing is to have bigger storage (rucksack) for stuff you might need once or twice and then top and trousers with lots of pockets for bits you need often.

Recently I got these trousers: ARPENAZ 500 MEN'S WALKING TROUSERS - DARK GREY they are absolutely brilliant. Sometimes I also use work trousers I got from Lidl (very cheap) they are much heavier definitely better for winter.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Before you go spend ££ borrow old bag from someone and try if you actually like it. Thing with rucksacks is that they are very comfortable and with hard back actually good for you. You need to make sure you will be ok having something hanging of your shoulder or around your neck for hours.

When I do rowing I tend not to take rucksack off, only to re-tackle.

I think best thing is to have bigger storage (rucksack) for stuff you might need once or twice and then top and trousers with lots of pockets for bits you need often.

Recently I got these trousers: ARPENAZ 500 MEN'S WALKING TROUSERS - DARK GREY they are absolutely brilliant. Sometimes I also use work trousers I got from Lidl (very cheap) they are much heavier definitely better for winter.
Thanks I know what you mean about a rucksack and and already have one. Just thought for short sessions stalking link ledger where you would sit for half hour before moving .

Got plenty of work trousers and waterproof trousers .

Want to the minimum I can get away with really

steve2

Reaction score
There are stacks of this type of bag available without spending out on named fishing bags. Try any market stall or shop and you will be spoilt for choice without paying through the nose.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There are stacks of this type of bag available without spending out on named fishing bags. Try any market stall or shop and you will be spoilt for choice without paying through the nose.
That's where I went to local market . Seems all kids rucksack or handbags . Need to have a troll of eBay I think

stillwater blue

Reaction score
bagwycrovbaggreone.jpg

I've had a wychwood rover bag for years and I really like it. It's a fairly standard layout with two internal and two external pockets, it has a zipped pocket on the inside of the flap that is perfect size for the preston hooklink boxes. You can pick them up for £20

associatedmatt

Reaction score
bagwycrovbaggreone.jpg

I've had a wychwood rover bag for years and I really like it. It's a fairly standard layout with two internal and two external pockets, it has a zipped pocket on the inside of the flap that is perfect size for the preston hooklink boxes. You can pick them up for £20
Can you fit a standard size flask in there don't matter if poles out a bit

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I used to use a laptop bag, really-It has two big inner compartments-reel and grub, about 6 zipped pockets of various sizes re hook packets tackle etc, about 6 little tube pockets for holding pens- re floats. A long adjustable strap and it cost me a quid in a charity shop, the only downside it was not water proof in the rain but other than that I couldn't fault it.

Think something along the lines of this but I wouldnt pay that money but if spotted in a charity/junk shop snap it up.
Targus CityGear Laptop Bag Topload Case for 15.6-Inch Laptop - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I had a stool bag and found it most uncomfortable. I just sit on unhooking mat or if staying in places longer like fishibg near a weir il take my lightweight chair . But thanks

trotter2

Reaction score
I had a stool bag and found it most uncomfortable. I just sit on unhooking mat or if staying in places longer like fishibg near a weir il take my lightweight chair . But thanks

Yes they could be improved if they had adjustable feet, don't know why manufacturers don't make some like that .
I don't always sit on mine, only when fishing the feeder for chub do I sit down, but it comes in really handy as a tray when standing fishing the float. And I normally dont sit that long when moving around anyways 20 minutes max and then off. A chair is extra weight and bulk so I tend to avoid that .
Suppose there is nothing perfect tried all sorts of different ways but find this best for me:) .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes they could be improved if they had adjustable feet, don't know why manufacturers don't make some like that .
I don't always sit on mine, only when fishing the feeder for chub do I sit down, but it comes in really handy as a tray when standing fishing the float. And I normally dont sit that long when moving around anyways 20 minutes max and then off. A chair is extra weight and bulk so I tend to avoid that .
Suppose there is nothing perfect tried all sorts of different ways but find this best for me:) .
A tray is a good idea . But I got a bait poutch for maggots .

Reminds me when you see matchmen on river with seatbox pole roots etc ... too much in my mind. A chair if staying put or moving a few swims otherwise no chair just a mat

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A trout game bag is, IMO, about your best bet but be wary of getting one that's too small as there will always be something else you want to stuff in there... and some can be a bit narrow. Wychwood luggage is good stuff but any reputable make should do.

I doubt you'll get everything you want to take in it though....or if you do it will be a monster. Jacket or fleece, bait, lunch and flask/drink soon fill a bag. I had a chub bag similar ( if not identical) to the Aldi one and didn't like it at all. Just wouldn't pack or sit right but I am a cantankerous old fusspot.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A trout game bag is, IMO, about your best bet but be wary of getting one that's too small as there will always be something else you want to stuff in there... and some can be a bit narrow. Wychwood luggage is good stuff but any reputable make should do.

I doubt you'll get everything you want to take in it though....or if you do it will be a monster. Jacket or fleece, bait, lunch and flask/drink soon fill a bag.
Clothing I normally wear rarely goes in a bag . Even wear waterproof trousers as stops trousers getting wet .

Lunch be more a snack as only plan to do short river sessions on ones local to me and then if go back to van can take a visit to the chip shop around corner from car park before move onto other stretch of the river if feel hungry that day ;)

Will also have a small bucket for bait bits .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Wychwood rover bag but to be honest I prefer to press my Brady Trout bag into service for those type of sessions.

it is large enough to put a decent sized flask in and well as all the items you mentioned originally.

Beware however, they are not cheap . . . .

The old Korum ruckbag is also worth investigating; much cheaper and takes a fair load too.