should clubs have an open or a closed group facebook page ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As per title, an open page can have inflammatory comments on it,from disgruntled ex members or anyone who cares to post, These could possibly put people off who may think of joining.A closed group page would be for actual members, therefor a prospective member cannot read unless joins the club,

Molehill

Reaction score
If it's a club, then I would go for closed group. As you mention disgruntled ex members etc. can stir up so much trouble they simply aren't worth it.

There's also the possible issue of disclosure of waters, stocks, catches, baliffs and more on the site that may not be in the clubs best interest to have out as public knowledge? But I guess every club should be judged individually and an open group may work for some.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, avoiding abuse should be a priority. I'm struck by how club Facebook pages vary in usefulness. It seems to depend on how far clubs invest time to run them, and on what momentum they pick up with their members.

Comparing 3 Facebook pages from clubs in my area, one is updated daily with catch news, photos, water management issues, news of matches and events like charity fundraisers, and so on. Questions are answered quickly eg on how to buy day tickets. The river stretches are popular and attract a lot of visitors - they are well-bailiffed- and the club has expanded in a good way, increasing availability of local fishing and taking a very positive approach to acquisitions, partnerships and fishery management.
It's always worth going to, not least because it gives you an up-to-the-minute idea of how the fishing is.

Another updates at a glacial pace, and gives the impression that things, including the waters, are going nowhere except perhaps backwards.

A third has a mix of waters and species, but the Facebook page is limited to a few carp-related posts, and hasn't moved for a year and more. It wouldn't be unfair to say that summed up the priority given to the general angler.

I'm not suggesting it's easy to run one, but a good Facebook page seems to be one sign of a go-ahead club trying to connect with its members and guests.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any club would be daft to have an open forum. All and sundry would be informed of catches on their waters and it would make it easier for people to poach etc.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... an open page can have inflammatory comments on it,from disgruntled ex members or anyone who cares to post,......

Too true!:) And it can put quite a strain on the Mods/Admin Team to try and keep it clean/sane/reasonable - a bit like FM!.

We use a "3 Strikes rule" before such posters are banned - so even though it's 'Open' - it can become 'effectively Closed' to some!:rolleyes::eek:mg:

It depends a lot on the purpose of the FB page - whether it's the Club's Official site - or the Members' social site. They can be very useful for the speedy alerting of people to pollution incidents, etc. even by non-members who are 'friends' of the club - e.g. dog-walkers on an early morning stroll.

As regards being 'too open' in disclosing hot spots, recent catches, etc. - it's a bit like having a conversation in the pub - with a megaphone!:eek::D:eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
There's also the possible issue of disclosure of waters, stocks, catches, baliffs and more on the site that may not be in the clubs best interest to have out as public knowledge?

Isnt that the type of information a club would want advertised to attract new members? if they have a FB page its more than likely that they also have a club website where the same information is available to anyone that wants to look at it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Why reply then Mike?

Both my clubs have pages on FB which are closed to non members. I find both useful for venue details and catch/match reports.
One thing I'm not so sure about is how strictly the vetting process is carried out when people apply to join in?

thecrow

Reaction score
I dont know as i do not do Facebook and never will!:(

I belong to 3 local history pages that are very informative and interesting, I also belong to a centrepin reel page and a couple of fishing pages, the only "friends I have on there are people I actually know.

I find it useful at times for keeping in touch with friends such as ones I have that live in Australia its down to the member what and who they want to see on their page, I don't find it anywhere near as bad as some make out but maybe that's because I am selective in what turns up on my FB page?

nottskev

Reaction score
I understand where people concerned about catch disclosures, publicity etc are coming from. I'm sure the risks are real.

But I can only repeat what I posted earlier: the most thriving and progressive club in my area, which has only gone from strength to strength in recent years,is the one that publishes catches and catch photos and information about waters on its Facebook page and gives every encouragement to anglers to join or buy day tickets. The waters and fishing by no means suffer by comparison with less communicative clubs, in fact the very opposite, and anglers travel far and wide to fish for big river fish of several species, while locals have a great and varied choice of venues and styles. No doubt the huge commitment of club officials - the waters are well-bailiffed and very well maintained and developed - is what makes the open approach to information feasible.

By the way - I'm not singing my own, or my mates' praises: I'm just a member who fishes the waters on occasion. As an instance, not intended to "prove" anything, just to give you the gist: I was fishing for chub one bitterly cold afternoon in January. It was really uncomfortable - I was 20m from the car and hiding from the wind behind a bush, wondering what I was doing there. A car drew up at the nearby pond, and two young men got out, put on drysuits, walked chest deep into the pond and started poking about. I had to ask. Just checking up on a bit of work we did a while back,they explained. The club don't suffer fools gladly, but they do promote their waters and trust the public, which I admire.

mikench

Reaction score
Why reply then Mike?

Both my clubs have pages on FB which are closed to non members. I find both useful for venue details and catch/match reports.
One thing I'm not so sure about is how strictly the vetting process is carried out when people apply to join in?

I just felt like it!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I do not use facebook, a club I am in has an open page which I would have to faff around to access anyway via a link from the clubs forum, the club also has a website, My concern about open pages apart from negative/abusive comments is that when a water is stocked, that is posted on facebook, some of these waters are in quiet locations, so therefor would be liable to be poached at night, also it only takes a couple of mistakes in information to be posted in error by the club and the haters would be onto it like a flash, I would vote for a members only facebook page if I could.

nottskev

Reaction score
I just felt like it!

Fair enough.

You may feel affirmed in your attitude if I tell you that there is, for the make of seat-box I use, a Facebook page for "Fans". No kidding.

Blokes who own said box pimp their seatboxes and post pictures, discuss accessorising them and swap seatbox-related experiences.

I hasten to add that I know about all this because I looked for somewhere to advertise the many unwanted parts that I'd stripped off mine. The minimal version I have left is proving very good, though.

steve2

Reaction score
Depends on what is meant by open, open to post onto or open to read. One of my old clubs is open to read and it is interesting to see that some of the reasons I left the club, unworkable rules, are still being argued about.

thecrow

Reaction score
Perhaps I could also mention a page that I follow that shows men that have (allegedly) been chatting to what they thought were young girls on line, some as young as 10 grooming them, they are confronted by the decoy team and eventually arrested, I watch it to see if there is anyone in my area that may be a danger to my grandchildren, in my book if that was the only thing I looked at on FB it would be worth it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Bloody Kev they will be marrying them next ! the boxes wouldn't begin with O by any chance would they ?

Yes! 6 letter word, beginning with O

Nothing wrong with the boxes.....:wh

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Interesting example is Farnham AS.

The club has a Community Page which anyone can follow but all external contributions have to be confirmed/authorised by the nominated club official. That type of page can work really well but needs to be updated regularly and consistently by whoever the nominated individuals are.

There is also at least one other non affiliated page which is far busier and open to all with "an interest in" the club. That requires constant attention and moderation from a small band of volunteers but is more up to date with info and catches than the official club page.

FB generally can be an excellent tool but typically requires careful thought and work in the initial page set up phase.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the group concerned, the members and what the club is trying to achieve by having a FB group. As far as I'm concerned, there's no one size fits all ideal. Open Facebook group, closed Facebook group, or no Facebook group at all. They can all be right for some.

Then there's the prospect of unofficial Facebook groups. There's nothing whatsoever stopping an individual setting up a FB group based around the club of his, or her, choice. He/she doesn't actually need the permission of a club to do so. He/she doesn't even need to be a member of the club.