Trotting on the Severn. Advice on tatics and equipment.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Interesting that Dave Harrell, in promoting his new line, seems to be using 0.18mm line (his own brand), ie 5lb, in circumstances that I would use 0.13mm (2.5lb) or 0.14mm (3lb) line. Dave is also fishing relatively large floats that carry plenty of weight.

thecrow

Reaction score
Interesting that Dave Harrell, in promoting his new line, seems to be using 0.18mm line (his own brand), ie 5lb, in circumstances that I would use 0.13mm (2.5lb) or 0.14mm (3lb) line. Dave is also fishing relatively large floats that carry plenty of weight.

He seems to do well on the Severn so must know a thing or two :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never had a problem getting bites even when using 0.24 (6lb)line straight through to the hook when trotting. If fishing a place where I don't know what size or species of fish is likely to pop up next I'd prefer to go heavier than lighter. Imo 4 and 6lb lines fished straight through are a good general guide. If no bites are forthcoming then it's easy enough to add a low diameter hooklenght to tempt some action.

nottskev

Reaction score
The Silstar line in question is .16, making it the same as ,say, Drennan Floatfish in 4.4lbs. And not much thicker than Floatfish 3.2lbs at .14.

I'm a bit of a light line fan myself, but then I've been fishing for decades.
For the newcomer, I'd say it's not worth splitting hairs over any of these.
They'll all do. When you start trotting on a big river, you've got a lot more to bother about than a fraction either way on your reel line diameter. You're trying to get your depth right, stop the wind messing your line control up, wondering where your loose feed is going, if your float is too small or too big..... no need to stress over lines in the range .14 to .18. It's not like he'll be trying to finesse some 4x4 no4 float through a barely moving swim - it's the Severn.

theartist

Reaction score
Be interesting to know if the float fishing legends of yesteryear started out on barbel taming gear or a fine approach for silvers and adjusted accordingly?

Starting out on light gear would install finesse in your technique and will get more bites than heavier lines, that's not rocket science.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Be interesting to know if the float fishing legends of yesteryear started out on barbel taming gear or a fine approach for silvers and adjusted accordingly?

Starting out on light gear would install finesse in your technique and will get more bites than heavier lines, that's not rocket science.

Err, that's not always true, in fact it's nonsense.
On countless occasions i've had a fish a trot on heavier gear so it would have been impossible to better my results, even if i' d used ultra fine lines, that's a mixture of species and sizes of fish also.
I've even used heavier line and then swapped to a low diameter line to see if there would be a difference.....guess what, there wasn't!

Some people make out you need to fish ultra light lines, tiny hooks and light stick floats to catch fish and it's total bullshine. I think they get some kind'a superiority complex because they fish like that....:rolleyes:.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

In the 1971 Severn All-England at least a couple of the winning Leicester team switched to heavier gear (3lb line straight through) from the 1.7lb main line/1.1lb bottoms more suited for dace when they encountered barbel (no great size in those days, averaging maybe a couple of pounds), a fish they hadn't ever caught before despite extensive practice that summer. On that day the old rules applied so no having a spare rod(s) set up or using a catapult or swimfeeder. I know Dave Rossi broke down his gear completely to retackle with 3lb line.

Philip

Reaction score
Well I dont want to start WW3 but I think generally speaking lighter lines and smaller hooks do lead to more bites.

Also generally speaking I would try and fish as light as the conditions, swim and size of fish I am after allow.

theartist

Reaction score
Some people make out you need to fish ultra light lines, tiny hooks and light stick floats to catch fish and it's total bullshine. I think they get some kind'a superiority complex because they fish like that....:rolleyes:.

3lb line is hardly ultra light as Mark Wintle has pointed out plenty heavy enough for taming Barbel.

Point is has anyone recommended to the OP fishing 3-4lb line and just catching, big or small, running a float though for what comes along, seems Robcourt did and got shot down in flames by someone who knows less it seems.

I suppose you're right, it would be a good idea for someone starting out to go and try the 5-6lb mainline route then they can talk to the guy in the next swim with the match gear who's catching when they're not. Makes a lot of difference especially in winter, you know when the barbel 'experts' who use 6lb line all year round suddenly stop catching and have to make do with 2lb chub, which aren't great fun on such gear.

Better still go and watch the match guys, there's a reason they go light, either that or they listen to too much bullshine :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I dont want to start WW3 but I think generally speaking lighter lines and smaller hooks do lead to more bites.

Also generally speaking I would try and fish as light as the conditions, swim and size of fish I am after allow.

Lol Philip I really couldn't give a rats ass what other anglers use, at the end of the day it's up to the individual what gear they use.
I know what works for me and that'll do for me ;).

thecrow

Reaction score
plenty heavy enough for taming Barbel.

By playing them to a standstill? there is no way imo that barbel should be played for long periods on light line and again imo (and 50 years experience of the Barbel) an angler cannot exert enough pressure on a Barbel to prevent a prolonged fight.

I have seen the results of Barbel being played to long floating past on the Severn And the Trent, its not a pretty sight.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
3lb line is hardly ultra light as Mark Wintle has pointed out plenty heavy enough for taming Barbel.

Point is has anyone recommended to the OP fishing 3-4lb line and just catching, big or small, running a float though for what comes along, seems Robcourt did and got shot down in flames by someone who knows less it seems.

I suppose you're right, it would be a good idea for someone starting out to go and try the 5-6lb mainline route then they can talk to the guy in the next swim with the match gear who's catching when they're not. Makes a lot of difference especially in winter, you know when the barbel 'experts' who use 6lb line all year round suddenly stop catching and have to make do with 2lb chub, which aren't great fun on such gear.

Better still go and watch the match guys, there's a reason they go light, either that or they listen to too much bullshine :eek:mg:

Lol, obviously i'm the one your referring to who's only catching the two pound chub :eek:mg:.

Your making big assumptions though, the reason i've only been catching those fish is because the river i'm fishing only has fish of that size present :rolleyes:.
The river where I do my barbel fishing has been way out of sorts for any serious trotting and so I just fish smaller venues not so far away where a barbel is pretty much a once in a lifetime catch.
Once I get the time to go further afield and if conditions alow then i'll do some trotting for barbel.

You shouldn't be so hasty with your snipes artist. By the way feel free to arrange a match with myself and i'll give you a lesson in trotting ;).

thecrow

Reaction score

He also said this

(no great size in those days, averaging maybe a couple of pounds),

Barbel in the Severn are on average bigger than a couple of pounds and I suspect the match anglers upped their line strength after loosing some of the fish hooke leaving hooks in those fish

thecrow

Reaction score
Robcourt did and got shot down in flames by someone who knows less it seems

Knows less than who/what if you are referring to me you are sadly mistaken, i base my comments on what i have seen, on who i have watched fish heavier lines in clear water and catch fish after fish including Barbel. Perhaps they were just better anglers than you?

theartist

Reaction score
You shouldn't be so hasty with your snipes artist. By the way feel free to arrange a match with myself and i'll give you a lesson in trotting ;).

Says someone who jumps on every post I do for the last god knows how long, thanks for the offer of a lesson in trotting, one which of course to my detriment I shall sadly decline.

thecrow

Reaction score
thanks for the offer of a lesson in trotting, one which of course to my detriment I shall sadly decline

Wow an angler that knows everything, never heard of one of them before must be very rare.

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Says someone who jumps on every post I do for the last god knows how long, thanks for the offer of a lesson in trotting, one which of course to my detriment I shall sadly decline.

Oh, ok, I can't remember the last time I responded to a post you have made for some time.

Pity you declined my offer of a lesson (although I knew full well you would) as it might open your eyes a little ;).

You never know, I might have learned something from you n'all.....narh, I doubt it, I was never good at art ;):D.