Trotting on the Severn. Advice on tatics and equipment.

Philip

Reaction score
Calm down a bit fellas.

Fish welfare is always going to be thorny subject when it comes to line and tackle strength. To my mind the mere fact we are fishing for them puts them in danger. In addition “strong” tackle to some will be “weak” to others.

An example - Trefor West who knows allot more about Barbel than most recons 6lb ine is still light for them for the fish welfare/prolonged fight reasons. He recommends 10 or 12lb line.

The point being where is the acceptable line ? (no pun intended). To my mind it’s a judgement call by the angler on the day and experience will tell him what he can and can’t get away with.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
It's a funny old game.

I catch more decent roach/dace/grayling and barbel on a size 12 or 14 with 3-4 maggots or piece of flake than on small hooks (18/20)

Luckily the days of "watcha caught mate?"

"Been smashed 4 times already"
Have passed to a degree.

If barbel are showing to my lighter set up it's straight onto Silstar 7.9lb straight through.....

Added. Bless Trefor, but he's not talking about trotting.

Philip

Reaction score
Bless Trefor, but he's not talking about trotting.

Agreed...he was talking about bottom fishing.

Why does that make a difference Graham ...are you suggesting a Barbel fights less hard when its hooked on a float ?

theartist

Reaction score
Oh, ok, I can't remember the last time I responded to a post you have made for some time.

Pity you declined my offer of a lesson (although I knew full well you would) as it might open your eyes a little ;).

You never know, I might have learned something from you n'all.....narh, I doubt it, I was never good at art ;):D.

I haven't made many posts for a while and if it's not personal then maybe it's a chalk and cheese thing, but I think you know whether you are sniping or not. Doesn't bother me if you just take it if you dish it out.

I'd go fishing with you and I would learn a lot i'm sure, it would be foolish not to learn from others and I've picked up a great deal from the likes of Keith Speer, my dad and Peter Crabtree on the canal. Never said I was better than you even if I was - could that be possible? NO of course not lol besides it's not even in my remotest ambitions, all I know is I know so little and that'll do me.

And the most important thing in all this is we're trying to help someone, and differing opinions have lead to a slanging match, i'd like to offer an apology to the original poster for my part in it, therein ends my contribution to this thread and perhaps this forum - rejoice :w

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
No. I'm saying
1. They are not generally fishing near snags a la TW on the Teme or BA.

2. They are not dragging a weight along the bottom to snag.

3. The bait being pinned down doesn't need much finess to make it appear natural.

For starters

Philip

Reaction score
No. I'm saying
1. They are not generally fishing near snags a la TW on the Teme or BA.

2. They are not dragging a weight along the bottom to snag.

3. The bait being pinned down doesn't need much finess to make it appear natural.

For starters

1. Whose they ? ...are you suggesting people float fishing for Barbel never fish near snags ?

2. That makes no sense. When your bottom fishing your setup is generally static. If anything its when your trotting that you dragging something along that could snag...that being a hook, which being "hook" shaped tends to snag pretty easily. Plus when your playing a fish the lead is not dragging along the bottom. its up in the water.

3. Totally disgree. You could just as easily argue that when the baits moving fish have less time to inspect it.

If that was starters I'll look forward to the main course. ;)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't made many posts for a while and if it's not personal then maybe it's a chalk and cheese thing, but I think you know whether you are sniping or not. Doesn't bother me if you just take it if you dish it out.

I'd go fishing with you and I would learn a lot i'm sure, it would be foolish not to learn from others and I've picked up a great deal from the likes of Keith Speer, my dad and Peter Crabtree on the canal. Never said I was better than you even if I was - could that be possible? NO of course not lol besides it's not even in my remotest ambitions, all I know is I know so little and that'll do me.

And the most important thing in all this is we're trying to help someone, and differing opinions have lead to a slanging match, i'd like to offer an apology to the original poster for my part in it, therein ends my contribution to this thread and perhaps this forum - rejoice :w

I'm not really trying to help anyone, merely stating my opinions. It's entirely up to the individual what set ups they use.

I can't see any real slanting matches, just a seriously flawed idea (snipe) of why I've only been catching small chub on my fishing sessions....as I said, you where far to quick on the draw which made you miss by a long chalk :eek:mg:.

There's no denying there are times and places for lighter set ups but to say they always give better results is nonsense.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agreed...he was talking about bottom fishing.

Why does that make a difference Graham ...are you suggesting a Barbel fights less hard when its hooked on a float ?

The action of the rods used might have a large part to play Philip. If you use a 1.75 test barbell rod you usually use a heavier line than if using a quivertip rod....if you get my meaning.

Philip

Reaction score
The action of the rods used might have a large part to play Philip. If you use a 1.75 test barbell rod you usually use a heavier line than if using a quivertip rod....if you get my meaning.

Agreed which just highlights even further that its not as simple as saying 6lb line or 10lb line & so on is too heavy or too light. There are multiple permutations and its a judgment call by the angler which experience will help him to determine what he can get away with.

nottskev

Reaction score
The original post was an angler who has never fished a float on a river wondering about suitable gear for trotting the Severn. He got some sensible advice involving using a .16 reel line. I don't see anything wrong there, plus or minus a bit, and it still seems entirely reasonable to me. What can be proved by arguing personal preferences for heavier or lighter line? I trot for roach on the Trent with 1.5lb line, at times - but it's not what I'd suggest the first-timer at Bridgnorth should use.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Phillip.
You responded without thinking.

It's impossible to trot many snag swims. Unless you want to get caught up every time.

If you think the weight used be many anglers when ledgering doesn't drag along the bottom at all you are very mistaken.
Hooks dont snag when in fish.

Its no so important to get a natural presentation so you can use heavier lines...like 20lb coated braid for hooklinks

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agreed which just highlights even further that its not as simple as saying 6lb line or 10lb line & so on is too heavy or too light. There are multiple permutations and its a judgment call by the angler which experience will help him to determine what he can get away with.

Absolutely, it's down to what the angler feels comfortable with.

Obviously using 6lb line and casting a 3 ounce weight across river with a heavy rod isn't to be advised lol.

I thought we where talking float fishing though and I've stated my preferences.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
:eek:mg:....And when did the chap who asked for a little trotting advice ever say he was fishing for barbel?

Philip

Reaction score
Phillip.
You responded without thinking.

It's impossible to trot many snag swims. Unless you want to get caught up every time.

If you think the weight used be many anglers when ledgering doesn't drag along the bottom at all you are very mistaken.
Hooks dont snag when in fish.

Its no so important to get a natural presentation so you can use heavier lines...like 20lb coated braid for hooklinks

Your mistaken Graham, I did think before I replied, its just that your suggestions were so badly flawed that not allot of thought was required to respond to them.

...Nah-Nah-Nah...lets try & be nice now please..

Your confusing it. The point was the tackle its safe to land Barbel on and I maintain that be it float or lead a barbel will pull just as hard on either.

thecrow

Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw the word barbell mentioned.

You did Ian,

the odd barbel if they should turn up.

I am just amazed that anglers are prepared to leave hooks in fish because "you will get more bites on lighter line" I have always thought that once an angler has got a bite ( that's what we all fish for isn't it? ) the idea was to land the fish and not by playing it to a standstill putting the life of the fish in jeopardy, its just bad angling and selfishness on the part of the angler.

Barbel have to be allowed to revive before returning them, anglers using heavier line have to take the time to do it so it stands to reason that the longer the fight the more recovery time will be required, how many fishing light lines will take this time? from what I have seen float past me not many.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
You did Ian,

the odd barbel if they should turn up.

I am just amazed that anglers are prepared to leave hooks in fish because "you will get more bites on lighter line" I have always thought that once an angler has got a bite ( that's what we all fish for isn't it? ) the idea was to land the fish and not by playing it to a standstill putting the life of the fish in jeopardy, its just bad angling and selfishness on the part of the angler.

Barbel have to be allowed to revive before returning them, anglers using heavier line have to take the time to do it so it stands to reason that the longer the fight the more recovery time will be required, how many fishing light lines will take this time? from what I have seen float past me not many.

you come up with some silly posts:)

the guy wants to learn how to trot on the severn, he wants to get a few bites and take what ever comes along. the severn around bridgnorth is a mixed fishery so as a beginner to stick fishing 3 or 4lb line is ok...if he loses a fish he learns by his mistake, at the worst he will leave a small hook with a light hook length in its mouth, that will cause the fish no harm whatsoever .....he may want to target barbel as he becomes more confident and adept with the method then he can step up his gear.

to say he should gear up for barbel as there is a chance he might catch one is a load of claptrap,

let the guy go out catch a few roach, dace, perch and chublets on a pint of maggots and enjoy himself while he learns a new technique.

It's alright to have a view but don't impose it as gospel on others1

and I would never recommend someone to buy a second hand reel when they are starting out.....

thecrow

Reaction score
you come up with some silly posts:)

the guy wants to learn how to trot on the severn, he wants to get a few bites and take what ever comes along. the severn around bridgnorth is a mixed fishery so as a beginner to stick fishing 3 or 4lb line is ok...if he loses a fish he learns by his mistake, at the worst he will leave a small hook with a light hook length in its mouth, that will cause the fish no harm whatsoever .....he may want to target barbel as he becomes more confident and adept with the method then he can step up his gear.

to say he should gear up for barbel as there is a chance he might catch one is a load of claptrap,

let the guy go out catch a few roach, dace, perch and chublets on a pint of maggots and enjoy himself while he learns a new technique.

It's alright to have a view but don't impose it as gospel on others1

and I would never recommend someone to buy a second hand reel when they are starting out.....

Silly eh? I have never said the OP should set up to catch Barbel unless you can show me where it is?

Where did the stick float fishing come into this? certainly wasn't in the OP first post couldn't have been someone imposing it as gospel could it?

Your attitude to leaving hooks in fish and advocating tackle that is likely to do so is imo disgraceful, yes it happens to us all at some time or another but to deliberately fish with tackle knowing that it is more likely than not going to happen beggars belief, it is not one I would suggest to any angler.

Far more experienced and might I say better anglers than you or I fish heavier than the tackle you suggest, they catch plenty of fish and if the odd barbell turns up they are better equipped to land the fish and not leave a hook in it because they were ill prepared.

I have watched anglers trotting with heavier gear, they caught plenty and were able to land anything that they hooked, why do they fish heavier? perhaps its because they know that they can catch just as many fish as anyone else without leaving hooks in some.