Trotting on the Severn. Advice on tatics and equipment.

clutch

Reaction score
I want to give float fishing a try on the Severn. I have never used a float on the river, and could use some help if any of you experienced anglers have some to share.

I have purchased a 13ft Shakespeare Mach 2 XT, it is rated up line strengths of 6lb and a casting weight of 20 grams. It was a bit of a impulsive buy, I picked it up for £15 in the black friday sales. I want to fish for a bit of everything, silvers, chub, perch, maybe the odd barbel if they should turn up. Is this rod suited to this?

The next issue I have is what kind of reel to get. I know that A lot of purists will say a centrepin is the way to go, others will say opt for a closed face reel. I am not sure what to go for. I think I would prefer an 'conventional' reel as opposed to a centrepin as I have no experience with one. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be looking for when it comes to reels?

Also, what kind/weight of line should I be looking for? I could also use advice on float type, hook lengths rigs, what sort of swims I should be looking for etc.

And finally, I am unsure just how to trot effectively. On a open faced reel you leave the bail arm open and let the float take line off as it moves downstream?

I know its a lot of questions, but its a bit daunting if you have not done it before.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks chaps.

Another Dave

Reaction score
And finally, I am unsure just how to trot effectively. On a open faced reel you leave the bail arm open and let the float take line off as it moves downstream?

I'm a first year student as opposed to a professor of trotting but i'm pretty sure that the idea is to add some resistance to the situation in order to slow the float down a bit. The water on the surface flows much faster than at the bed so you're trying to get the hookbait to progress at the (slower) speed of the loose feed. Happy to be corrected on this but that's what they say on that there youtube.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Last edited:

markv

Reaction score
That's a decent rod to start with. Practice is the key as with a lot of things, if you keep at it you will succeed.

It can be a great way to fish and once you get the hang of it, a skill for a lifetime.

One thing to remember is that wind direction and strength is often a big factor due to the wind catching the line and pulling the float off it's natural line of travelling down the river. It's just one of the things you will learn about as you go along.

In simple terms a slight, directly upstream wind can be your friend and a strong downstream wind definitely the opposite. Most days the wind conditions are somewhere between the two and can often change during the time you're fishing.

If the line starts to pull the float off it's natural run down the current you need to 'mend' the line to correct it, sort of straighten it out between you an the float, or at least re position the line between you and the float, so the float precedes the line behind it.

Much easier to demonstrate than write about, not complicated and just like riding a bike after a while but whatever you do don't give up on it early. Something tells me you won't anyway.

Must be videos on you tube that will help to a degree but watching someone who knows what they are doing is even better, if you can find someone.

Best to look for swims with flow close to the bank, especially when beginning, just fishing between one and one and a half rod lengths out from the bank, no further.

If you're using loose feed like maggots etc, feeding little and often is usually the way to go. Keep the feed going in and the fish will come to it, though not too much of it in the winter.

Enjoy it and learn from lots of sources, but getting out there and doing it will move you along.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Some good advice there. I have trotted the Lower for a number of years.

If I was you I would start off with 5lb main line and then drop down when you have more experience.

Don't start with too light a float. I would normally use 5-6bb loading for couple of rods out. Heavier if pushing it out further.

Use your middle finger of the rod hand to trap line against the spool as you hold back or mend line.

I always find it useful to follow the float with the rod angle and start out again straight in front when you mend (lift line off the water surface to keep contact.

And get a bait dropper if fishing particles and maggots...its a big river.

Good Luck

clutch

Reaction score
That's a decent rod to start with. Practice is the key as with a lot of things, if you keep at it you will succeed.

It can be a great way to fish and once you get the hang of it, a skill for a lifetime.

One thing to remember is that wind direction and strength is often a big factor due to the wind catching the line and pulling the float off it's natural line of travelling down the river. It's just one of the things you will learn about as you go along.

In simple terms a slight, directly upstream wind can be your friend and a strong downstream wind definitely the opposite. Most days the wind conditions are somewhere between the two and can often change during the time you're fishing.

If the line starts to pull the float off it's natural run down the current you need to 'mend' the line to correct it, sort of straighten it out between you an the float, or at least re position the line between you and the float, so the float precedes the line behind it.

Much easier to demonstrate than write about, not complicated and just like riding a bike after a while but whatever you do don't give up on it early. Something tells me you won't anyway.

Must be videos on you tube that will help to a degree but watching someone who knows what they are doing is even better, if you can find someone.

Best to look for swims with flow close to the bank, especially when beginning, just fishing between one and one and a half rod lengths out from the bank, no further.

If you're using loose feed like maggots etc, feeding little and often is usually the way to go. Keep the feed going in and the fish will come to it, though not too much of it in the winter.

Enjoy it and learn from lots of sources, but getting out there and doing it will move you along.

Thanks for that.

I had wondered about the best way to combat the wind.

When you say 'mend the line' do you mean manipulate if from the rod tip, so you reposition it so there is no bow in the line and it flows directly behind the float?

Would you use a range of floats for various conditions? I have had a quick look, and the range of floats is extensive and I am unsure what conditions suits which float.

clutch

Reaction score
Some good advice there. I have trotted the Lower for a number of years.

If I was you I would start off with 5lb main line and then drop down when you have more experience.

Don't start with too light a float. I would normally use 5-6bb loading for couple of rods out. Heavier if pushing it out further.

Use your middle finger of the rod hand to trap line against the spool as you hold back or mend line.

I always find it useful to follow the float with the rod angle and start out again straight in front when you mend (lift line off the water surface to keep contact.

And get a bait dropper if fishing particles and maggots...its a big river.

Good Luck

Cheers,

Do you run that line straight through, or do you go for a lighter hook length?

This might seem obvious, but when you say hold the line back, is that just slowing up the pace of the float for a more natural presentation?

It is a big river, and I am used to fishing using big leads/feeders. But, something about trotting really appeals to me.

I just want to make sure I have all the fundamentals sorted before I get to the bank.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Clutch. I would normally use a 3.5 hooklink, like red maggot 16 for the Severn. As you are a novice trotter this will mean hooklink will go before mainline in snags etc.

You won't have to lose the float etc.

When I trot with fspool its the middle finger that controls the line coming of the spool. And either light dabbing when its going down to keep contact, or firm fingertip on spool controls mending line or striking into fish. Practice practice practice but as said by others. Start on an even flow not too far out, ideally not a windy day.

Some swims will fish better with shirt button shot some with bulk shot nearer the hooklink.

Good luck.

markv

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I had wondered about the best way to combat the wind.

When you say 'mend the line' do you mean manipulate if from the rod tip, so you reposition it so there is no bow in the line and it flows directly behind the float?

Would you use a range of floats for various conditions? I have had a quick look, and the range of floats is extensive and I am unsure what conditions suits which float.

Yes, to mend the line I trap the line on the spool (bailarm is open for me while trotting) and sort of lift/straighten it out behind float, as others do.

As I say easier if you see it.

As regards size of float etc, what part of the Severn will you be fishing ?

caelan

Reaction score
Check out rob onions on f/b he lives by the severn an fishes the matches he has put me right for the barbel

clutch

Reaction score
Yes, to mend the line I trap the line on the spool (bailarm is open for me while trotting) and sort of lift/straighten it out behind float, as others do.

As I say easier if you see it.

As regards size of float etc, what part of the Severn will you be fishing ?

Thanks for that,

I see what you mean about mending the line to try and keep everything straight.

I will be fishing the middle Severn, around Bridgnorth way.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Method will be determined by the stretches you decide to fish. Some of the swims around Arley can be pretty fast and shallow, if you go down towards Stourport around Ribbesford, you find deeper slower water. I'd probably recommend minimum 4.4lb Floatfish straight through or a 4lb bottom. On fast shallow sections I prefer a chubber, on deeper water a bolo, if it's slower a lignum stick or topper, there's some decent advice here

Running Line Floats | Dave Harrell Angling

There are some really good pin anglers on here, as I'm not one of them I only tend to use mine if I know I won't need to cast any distance, for everything else it's a fixed spool. Although more expensive, the Shimano Ci4 reels are really light and can be fished with easily for long spells.

markv

Reaction score
Thanks for that,

I see what you mean about mending the line to try and keep everything straight.

I will be fishing the middle Severn, around Bridgnorth way.

There are huge variations in swims around that area. Despite what you may read yoiu dont need a massive range of floats to catch at the beginning. Just two or three of different sizes to kick off with. Try to pick somewhere where you can fish close in using a stick float or anything fixed top and bottom.

Different kettle of fish with a waggler but try and pick iether stick or waggler and just learn one at first i'd say.

I must admit I haven't looked but there is very likely to be some instructional videos to watch somewhere.

As a suggestion Jamie Robbins has done lots of videos for Shakespeare and now Cadence, while also promoting their products, they are absolutely excellent instructional works.

Look them up. Must be something approaching your type of water. If not exactly what you're after, a lot of what he teaches/shows will be transferable elsewhere.

Dave Harrell also writes a lot about fishing that sort of water and presumably has videos too. He heavily promotes his product which is likely to be good but you don't absolutely have to have his stuff.

The thing is, initially, especially with the internet, there is a surfeit of information which all too quickly leads to brain overload.

Its not that hard. Give it a go, go home and think about it, go back out with a few amendments to improve and you will get there and have some great days.

Its brilliantly absorbing.

Just another thought. There will be a lot of anglers reading this who will think 'wish I could show him' because believe me it is a lot easier than writing about it. If you can go out with someone, do so. If not , there are matches held around Bridgnorth and Bewdley, if you can get a chance to walk along these and see someone fishing a float, trotting through it'll help enormously.

I know many will fish a ledger but you should see a float in action somewhere. These lads will know what they are doing. You could look for other pleasure anglers also float fishing.

At Bewdley there are float only matches run by Kidderminster & District AA, although I think these are midweek.

If watching matches, remember you don't need all the parafenalia they may have, and you don't need to attempt the sort of distances they may be fishing when starting.

One very important point, make sure when you watch someone that you don't 'skyline' them, meaning don't allow your profile to stick out above the bankside and be silhouetted against the sky, keep down below the skyline, having some higher bank or trees or whatever to conceal your outline. Otherwise fish can clear off.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

clutch

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Really useful.

Is the general consensus that a 2500 real is the right size to get? I know Jasonbean1 recommended this real earlier in the thread.

Daiwa Ninja Front Drag - 2500A

Is that the sort of thing I should be looking at? I wanted to spend about a max of £50 (less if I can get away with it). But, like anything, you get what you pay for.

Oh. And for a final incredibly stupid question (forgive me), i see that these reels such as the Daiwa above, hold 155m of 0.28mm line. Float line seems to usually come on spools 100m long(Such as the Drennan float line). So, one spool will not fill this reel...do you have to buy two spools and connect the line...is there some very obvious way around it that I am missing?..

thecrow

Reaction score
Oh. And for a final incredibly stupid question (forgive me), i see that these reels such as the Daiwa above, hold 155m of 0.28mm line. Float line seems to usually come on spools 100m long(Such as the Drennan float line). So, one spool will not fill this reel...do you have to buy two spools and connect the line...is there some very obvious way around it that I am missing?..

Not stupid at all, build the level up on your spool using a cheap line before putting your line that you will use onto the reel.

That seems rather heavy for trotting have you considered a lighter line say around 5lbs?

robcourt82

Reaction score
5lb is still very heavy for general stick float fishing. Use as light a line as you can as it will make casting easier.
As for reels, the ninja is ok but the legalis is about 55 quid and in my opinion another step up in terms of quality.

thecrow

Reaction score
5lb is still very heavy for general stick float fishing. Use as light a line as you can as it will make casting easier

The OP is a newcomer to trotting using a heavier line and a heavier float will allow him to control the float better, I didn't see any mention of stick floats in his OP maybe I missed it?

Casting with a fixed spool reel being made easier is a mute point as if he uses a stick he doesn't need to cast far for a start and doing so would indicate he would be using a waggler in which case 5lb line is not imo to heavy, I am aware of some very good trotters on FM that use 5lb line and have no problems catching fish indeed I have seen heavier used with success.

If I were the OP I would look to make things as easy as possible for myself and if changes were needed they can be made as the angler gains more experience, on the other hand he could start with light line and discover for himself whether he needs to change all down to himself and how he wants to progress.

clutch

Reaction score
Not stupid at all, build the level up on your spool using a cheap line before putting your line that you will use onto the reel.

That seems rather heavy for trotting have you considered a lighter line say around 5lbs?

Thats for that, cleared that up!

Oh yes, I was going to start around 5lb ish. Its just the only line holding statistic that was available for that reel.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I would buy a 3000 shimano stradic. Good ones for about 55 second hand.

As mentioned earlier, as a start point for a newcomer 5.5 sillstar match team combined wuth a 3.5 red maggot hook to nylon with a 5-6bb stick like a drennan shouldered float would be my first choice of set up at Bridgenorth looking for steady 6ft of water a rod to two lengths out.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lmao. Someone got out the wrong side of bed!
In my opinion 5lb is still a little heavy for any type of General river float fishing. If the op is specifically targeting barbel then maybe 5lb or heavier would be better but if he is fishing for bites and a few fish, whatever comes along then a lighter line will be easier to cast and to control the line with and will give better presentation.