Does thye camera lie?

Reaction score
It has always been my biggest fear to drop a fish,especially worsened if one of note,a couple of times I've put fish barbel back without a piccy worrying if I might lose them,to hold a fish out for a 'nice' trophy shot doesn't enter my mind,any picture would do for me...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has always been my biggest fear to drop a fish,especially worsened if one of note,a couple of times I've put fish barbel back without a piccy worrying if I might lose them,to hold a fish out for a 'nice' trophy shot doesn't enter my mind,any picture would do for me...

Grayling are a fish I very rarely take a picture of because they are so fickle and on numerois occasions i've witnessed friends of mine loose the grayling just so they could get a decent picture of it. Obviously they didn't realise the fish was on it's way out but a lot of people don't and there must be many a grayling met it's maker in order to get a decent picture of it.

thecrow

Reaction score
Thank Simon and Steve for finding that link it is an interesting read that goes some way towards showing the lengths some anglers will go to in order to further their angling reputation. Maybe its the pressure of keeping sponsors on board that drives them and not just with pictures or inflated claims of a fishes weight as was seen a few years ago.

steve2

Reaction score
Interesting old link just goes to show that some things never change.
I do remember John Cadd and his fantastic catches, also the repeat pike pictures. There was also a pike from suppose to be from Walthstow Reservior that nearly made it into the record books.
And just why are so many so called big fish caught just as the anglers camera stops working or they forgot to take the camera that day.

john step

Reaction score
I do remember John Cadd and his fantastic catches, also the repeat pike pictures. There was also a pike from suppose to be from Walthstow Reservior that nearly made it into the record books.
And just why are so many so called big fish caught just as the anglers camera stops working or they forgot to take the camera that day.

Yes I remember the Cadd saga. I seem to remember it was Peter Stone that exposed him in Angling Times.

Reaction score
Mick there were many catches that were questioned,an enormous catch of chub being one...

john step

Reaction score
I used to know someone we called Liar Smith. Absolutely everything that came out of his mouth was not true in the complete sense.

Tragedy was, looking back I now think he actually believed what he was saying.

Reaction score
I think that is similar to Caddy,if its all true,who knows fact from fiction,my boss used to say some ridiculous things,like how he'd go for a morning's fishing on the canal and regularly catch five or six carp to 17lbs on the float and maggot,I don't what he was putting in his coffee but I reckon it started with a B and ended with a T...

thecrow

Reaction score
I used to fish a water for Pike where there was an angler we called Umbro (he wore an Umbro coat) I unhooked and weighed a fish for him and iirc it was around 14lbs, next I know it was a 20 verified because I had weighed it, to say I was not happy would have been an understatement, takes a long while to get a name for being trustworthy with fish weights a very short time for someone to ruin it, after I had words with him he didn't do it again.

Philip

Reaction score
It could be worse.. across the channel people dont even need to lie. Look at this 2lb 12oz "Roach" for example, it even won a "gold medal" in the catch section of an angling website...

philip-albums-misc-picture4948-fish.jpg

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Not 100% sure John Chub, Ide or a bit of a mix perhaps but not a Roach thats for sure

Ide do hybridize even if there are no confirmed specimens in the uk ..yet.

bullet

Reaction score

Because basically we're all a bunch of Bullsh*tters? :D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

That pike DID make it into the record books until some detective work from, I believe, Martin Gay proved it to be a smaller fish of circa 32lb caught by another angler that had been submitted for stuffing, 'lost', then resurfaced as a 40lb+ pike with a record claim but the unique markings gave it away.

thecrow

Reaction score
That pike DID make it into the record books until some detective work from, I believe, Martin Gay proved it to be a smaller fish of circa 32lb caught by another angler that had been submitted for stuffing, 'lost', then resurfaced as a 40lb+ pike with a record claim but the unique markings gave it away.

I have a feeling that the fish in question is in Lanes tackle shop in Coventry.

silvers

Reaction score
wasn't John Cadd a case of inflating numbers - he undoubtedly caught some very good fish - just not as many as he claimed .... or so I remember