Does thye camera lie?

thecrow

Reaction score
I have been looking back through some old Angling Times and Anglers mail, some of the pictures in them and elsewhere that I have looked at fishy pictures look quite strange to me, fish that look twice the claimed weight with the capture seemingly 10 yards behind the fish, others where the fish doesn't look the claimed weight, I have even seen pictures of fish laying alongside floats where there is no visible sign of any line being connected to the float, are these "posed" pictures if so what could be the reason?

steve2

Reaction score
With digital cameras and photo editing you can make a fish look any size you want it to be.
I also believe that there is a lot of guesstimating of weights goes on in fishing. When you are use to catching small fish any thing bigger looks huge.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some fishy pics have been dodgy since people first started taking them. There are very basic ways to manipulate pics that aren't nearly as advanced as the manipulation of a digital image.

I have even seen pictures of fish laying alongside floats where there is no visible sign of any line being connected to the float, are these "posed" pictures if so what could be the reason?

I can't say that I've ever really noticed. However, I've seen plenty of my own pics where the float can seem unconnected. I've never taken a pic with a disconnected float, so I'll tend to give the benefit of the doubt to others.
Are you trying to suggest that some folks are staging pics with mini-floats in an attempt to make fish appear bigger? Do they go as far as to mark them with big shot capacities?

thecrow

Reaction score
Are you trying to suggest that some folks are staging pics with mini-floats in an attempt to make fish appear bigger? Do they go as far as to mark them with big shot capacities?

No nothing like that and I couldn't see anyone carrying a mini float just in case :) perhaps its the cynic in me having fished through periods when well known anglers were caught out claiming weights for fish that were subsequently found to be smaller than the claimed weight.

There are ways of photographing fish to make them look bigger that doesn't involve holding fish towards the camera though.

B

binka

I have even seen pictures of fish laying alongside floats where there is no visible sign of any line being connected to the float, are these "posed" pictures if so what could be the reason?

I'm a complete git for it Graham :D

In fairness it's not to try and distort the size of the fish, as you know I make all my own perch floats and so they won't offer any widely recognisable scale, I just think it makes for a more interesting picture as long as everything's to hand and it doesn't add more than a couple of seconds to the process...

nvqeio.jpg

It's not just floats either, it can be a spring balance, the rod and reel, morello cherry pies... :)

I know the kind of thing you mean though and all I can say is the only people these sorts are fooling are themselves.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No nothing like that and I couldn't see anyone carrying a mini float just in case :) perhaps its the cynic in me having fished through periods when well known anglers were caught out claiming weights for fish that were subsequently found to be smaller than the claimed weight.

There are ways of photographing fish to make them look bigger that doesn't involve holding fish towards the camera though.

How did the well known anglers get caught out?

How do you photograph a fish to make it look bigger?

B

binka

Are you trying to suggest that some folks are staging pics with mini-floats in an attempt to make fish appear bigger?

I've tried doing that.

I ended up shooting myself in the foot when I got the proportions all to cock...

14avdq0.jpg

:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It surprising what antics people will get up to when taking pic's of fish....:eek:mg:.

flightliner

Reaction score
It seems that many anglers today dont seem to mind holding fish out towards the camara which both distorts the size of the fish to unbelievable proportions that to me in a small way discredits its captor, it's totally not good for both.
It seems however to be more the norm and accepted by many , take a look on facebook where there are examples on most nights of the week. Chub in particular in the four and five pound class appear to look like fourteen/fifteen pound Barbel while the captors head looks almost pea sized by comparison--- why for gods sake, just hold the fish against your chest or parallel to it and see it as it is !

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Found this from 2001, do things ever change? (if the link works)

Nope didn't work its an interesting thread called overstated fish sizes but I cant find it on FM even though it comes up on a google search as on FM, never mind eh.

Last edited: