Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  59
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Reasons not to fish a river

I asked one of the lads why I never seen him on the river bank although he fish's woodlands at Carlton Miniott 3 times a week.

And the reply was Pegs aren't big enough for his seat box and its hard work.

Default Re: Reasons not to fish a river

At least he was honest....

Quote Originally Posted by dalesman View Post
    I asked one of the lads why I never seen him on the river bank although he fish's woodlands at Carlton Miniott 3 times a week.

And the reply was Pegs aren't big enough for his seat box and its hard work.
    Funny aint it. The Swale is just nearby, a fantastic little river. I travel up there for fishing breaks.

I had the similar conversation during my last visit up there. A bloke on a commie told me I was barking mad fishing the river as the commie was much more comfortable and easy to catch.

All I can is good, as the rivers would be crowded otherwise

Compared to overstocked commercials the Rivers are hard work, for possibly
    little or no reward. But to those who enjoy peace and quiet and their own
    company. As Rivers are now it's a place of great pleasure and great satisfaction.Whatever the result of the days efforts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Funny aint it. The Swale is just nearby, a fantastic little river. I travel up there for fishing breaks.

I had the similar conversation during my last visit up there. A bloke on a commie told me I was barking mad fishing the river as the commie was much more comfortable and easy to catch.

All I can is good, as the rivers would be crowded otherwise
    I mis-clicked dislike instead of like on the above post,they must be mad or not clever enough to realise that the bloody heavy seatbox they lug about is not a must have angling accessory...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floatfish View Post
    company. As Rivers are now it's a place of great pleasure and great satisfaction.Whatever the result of the days efforts.
    Rather trot a river and watch the float dip to a dace, chub or grayling Than wait for the tip wrap round to another carp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floatfish View Post
    It all depends what is meant by reward,because honing the skills of trotting,to get the quality fish is a very satisfying feeling,let's be fair here,there are a lot of anglers incapable of catching on a commercial.

having never fished a modern day commie, i am drawn to the idea for a once off just to see if i have the shizzle to get it right, i can see the argument for/against!!! and each to their own, but as per OP river fishing is tough n some will not prosper or get ahead on them and hit the commies, while old fools like me will keep blanking regularly on the river on a seatbox or a chair or ass on the grass it dont matter, to me a day on the river is a joy to behold a stocked lake/puddle might be too, i cant say yet but the attraction is there, maybe not every time i would want to wet a line(i could see ME getting bored) but there none the less
    bananabread beer is better than sliced pan

Quote Originally Posted by maurice walsh View Post
    having never fished a modern day commie, i am drawn to the idea for a once off just to see if i have the shizzle to get it right, i can see the argument for/against!!! and each to their own, but as per OP river fishing is tough n some will not prosper or get ahead on them and hit the commies, while old fools like me will keep blanking regularly on the river on a seatbox or a chair or ass on the grass it dont matter, to me a day on the river is a joy to behold a stocked lake/puddle might be too, i cant say yet but the attraction is there, maybe not every time i would want to wet a line(i could see ME getting bored) but there none the less
    Met up with my old fishing mate at the weekend and we talked about doing this for June 16th. Would be nice to fish together somewhere, and as much as my local river is The One it doesn't lend itself to sharing a peg.

I reckon my approach would be to try some breadflake in the margins, bit of cloudy mashed bread around the float, little and often. What would you try?

Reasons to fish rivers are the variety and surprises they offer, but if you married a seat-box as your personal choice of ball and chain your not likely to be the type who wants that.

I have been most successful on rivers by learning one stretch really well say 1/4 mile, fish it winter and summer, find the lairs and hot spots for different species, which levels, temperatures colour, flow etc suit which methods/baits/species. But finding the spots, winter or summer is the key (they do change). Takes time and although you still might not catch as much on commercials you will have fewer blanks if you put the time in and just a bit more interesting plus; these days you should have a free hand, many stretches are empty of anglers.. And there is a lot of variety to choose from, anything between a big tidal stretch or a little stream, they all require something different and give you plenty to think about. And coming across some river tench or carp or see a sea trout jump or hook a surprise mullet or something and where is that one big roach, you know its there even after looking for 10 years, one day-it all adds to the pleasure. -also rivers are natural valleys for migrating birds, amazing what turns up sometimes, plenty to see and plenty of reasons to fish rivers.
    I don't think commercials are as easy a s some make out and I know one or two that are a real pleasure and offer some of the above also to some degree or other but its never quite the same.
    Last edited by markg; 19-12-2017 at 10:24.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast