Weed growth

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Clubs eliminate weed then put in fish refuges because the cormorants etc are able to catch them much easier. Then they wonder why there's no fish recruitment and they start catching blades with large eyes because there's no food for the fish to eat.
This is something tyipical of anglers and that's why it always makes me laugh when I hear them spouting how they're conservationists .....yeah of course they are, the biggest part have no clue how nature works that's why they destroy so many waters!
Weed is extremely thick in this pit later in the summer . Just be better being less thick . Going to give another bash for the tench in there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not wanting to get rid of all the weed just more to clear some areas . There used to be some clonking tench in there. Seen plenty of carp in the clear spots in the summer and a shoal of large bream

Find the existing clear spots, especially those where you see fish. Expand them as little as necessary with a mixture of raking and feeding a cheap bulk bait. Soaked wheat and barley could be ideal. I fish a similarly weedy water to the one you describe. Anything much shy of 15' deep can get too weedy to fish easily, and guess where the fish want to be!

I knew there were a small number of good bream in there. I also had half an idea where they were. It took months of raking and baiting to be able to float fish for them, but I got there in the end. I had three or four to just shy of nine pounds. They go bigger, but there's probably no more than forty bream in the best part of thirty acres. Don't get me wrong, I'll understand anyone saying it probably wasn't worth the effort, but it was rather satisfying.

Fast forward a few years and there are now a similar number of tench in the water. You have to put in similar effort to catch them close in. The bream experience certainly built me up for the challenge.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weed is extremely thick in this pit later in the summer . Just be better being less thick . Going to give another bash for the tench in there

In my experience the best time of year to target tench in waters like that is early spring into early summer. At that time the tench have just become active after the colder shorter days and are out on the look for food to get in fettle for spawning. At this early time of year there's a shortage of natural food and that combined with the lack of weed growth makes it the optimum time for tinckering.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
In my experience the best time of year to target tench in waters like that is early spring into early summer. At that time the tench have just become active after the colder shorter days and are out on the look for food to get in fettle for spawning. At this early time of year there's a shortage of natural food and that combined with the lack of weed growth makes it the optimum time for tinckering.
Good point. This from around April to june ish ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Find the existing clear spots, especially those where you see fish. Expand them as little as necessary with a mixture of raking and feeding a cheap bulk bait. Soaked wheat and barley could be ideal. I fish a similarly weedy water to the one you describe. Anything much shy of 15' deep can get too weedy to fish easily, and guess where the fish want to be!

I knew there were a small number of good bream in there. I also had half an idea where they were. It took months of raking and baiting to be able to float fish for them, but I got there in the end. I had three or four to just shy of nine pounds. They go bigger, but there's probably no more than forty bream in the best part of thirty acres. Don't get me wrong, I'll understand anyone saying it probably wasn't worth the effort, but it was rather satisfying.

Fast forward a few years and there are now a similar number of tench in the water. You have to put in similar effort to catch them close in. The bream experience certainly built me up for the challenge.
Guess il need to get the spod out and do alot of pre baiting in certain areas ?

flightliner

Reaction score
I've fished what must be about as weedy a water as you can get for years and years, tons of it below the surface that last year showed itself on the surface for the first time, eelgrass I think it's called along with some floating stuff that at times covers two thirds of. The water available.
You can set up, bait up and a change of wind simply wipes you out making you homeward bound as swims are limited.
I,be had a text today from a friend who informs me that the weed seems to have taken off again as a lure trip in what was a clear area last autumn had him pulling up loads of the stuff !
Not good!!!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I've fished what must be about as weedy a water as you can get for years and years, tons of it below the surface that last year showed itself on the surface for the first time, eelgrass I think it's called along with some floating stuff that at times covers two thirds of. The water available.
You can set up, bait up and a change of wind simply wipes you out making you homeward bound as swims are limited.
I,be had a text today from a friend who informs me that the weed seems to have taken off again as a lure trip in what was a clear area last autumn had him pulling up loads of the stuff !
Not good!!!!
Not quite that bad some parts of lake are worse than others. You can see the carp munching on the weed and creating clear areas perfect for stalking but mostly hidden under weed or the lillies

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes Matt, begining of May onwards depending on the weather.
I do believe at the start of the tench season they seem to be caught further out in lakes but as water temperature rises they start to come into the margins . Is that what you have found ?