Cadence rods....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, didn't Tommy Pickering endorse a Matchwinner Pole ?

Possibly, I have never paid a great deal of attention to poles. There was definitely a TP Daiwa whip.

With Daiwa there were TP Matchwinner, TP Matchwinner-S, two different TP Connoisseurs and, I think, maybe one other that I can never remember. It probably had Amorphous and/or Kevlar in the name somewhere.

TP was also involved with Tri-Cast for a time. He definitely put his name to Tri-Cast Trophy rods.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
well the new 14ft cadence feeder arrived yesterday, first impressions old style cheapish rod bag. graphics nothing special. handle feels better than it looks. It has surprisingly small eyes for there largest feeder rod. feels reasonably light and crisp with not too pokier action. comes with 2, 3, 4oz tips which feel a little on the soft side. ive bought it for the wye, severn and local weir pools. I don't whether they do separate heavier tips in say 5/6oz.

i'll give it 7 out of 10 on first impressions, hopefully that will improve on the bank

markv

Reaction score
Whilst the Cadence rods may be offering very good VFM, I doubt that they are the best of all the currently available rods, let alone the best of yesteryear too.

Pretty much bang on. They may be pretty good, but not sure they are intended to be the very best, certainly not marketed at that price point so unfair to expect them to be. Filling a gap in the market at the moment I think.

Richox12

Reaction score
The point being does the extra outlay justify itself in either better angling results or more angling pleasure ?

For me the jury is still out.

Most likely, not the first but probably the latter - for some.

Richox12

Reaction score
Ah right, I have not got round to trying the drennan out yet,
When I bought the IM8 waggler some others were buying the IM8 spliced tip/stick float rod to use for waggler fishing, I found the waggler brilliant for long range work but not so good on a canal, it seemed to powerful for canal work,

I was one of them then !! Stick Float (which had a handle way too long) and then the IM8 Super Stick - brilliant waggler rods for me (they were all hollow top sections not spliced). The original Stick Float became my favourite Tench rod and also a Carp Waggler rod on the odd occasion I went for a bit of daft fun.

Richox12

Reaction score
£70-150 Cadence Fishing Rods - Match and Feeder Rods - Cadence Fishing

The Crystalight is nothing like the Acolytes and I've seen nothing to suggest that there's an equivalent in the Cadence range. It's not much like any Harrison GTi I've laid hands on either. However, the rather scarce Harrison canal rod (AKA Harrison 11'6" Match Special) might be along the right lines.

The reality is that there are very few modern equivalents of the Crystalight. Though Drennan weren't explicit with their labelling, many regard them as waggler rods for canals and drains. Also perfect for relatively shallow stillwaters where relatively small fish are the main target when fishing small sensitive wagglers, light lines and small hooks. As far as I'm aware, there are at least two versions, possibly three.

Initially, it was pole fishing that started to strangle the market for canal rods. The rise of commie match fishing all but finished it off. I have an IM8 Super Crystalight that has just been superseded by something more modern.

I suspect that the ones currently listed on ebay are a bit of a red herring as a price guide. They've been listed on and off for the best part of six months. I'd be delighted to get that kind of price for mine, though I suspect I'd have to settle for rather less.

I didn't like the original (grey colour) Crystalight as its action was far too slow for catching lots of small fish and it was a very mellow action. I preferred the IM8 version for that. But it did make a very good rod for catching odd big fish on very fine lines and small hooks.

silvers

Reaction score
I got to see and waggle a 15' No1 Cadence Match rod today. It didn't strike me as unduly heavy, nor was it strikingly light. It appeared well finished with decent components. One thing that did strike me was that it wasn't as light an action as I was expecting. I'd read a few comments about the Cadence No1, 2 and 3 being broadly equivalent to Normark Microlite, Titan and Avenger. My impression was that the lightest No1 was a much stronger rod than any Microlite I've had hold of.

Overall, I feel that the Cadence rods are probably pretty good value for money. I doubt anyone with a huge hoard of expensive rods is going to be blown away, but many others are likely to be quite happy with them. You could certainly pay more and do worse, if you don't choose wisely.

FWIW I was also surprised that the longer rods have the 1 and 2 designations - when reading the reviews from Keith Easton and Paul Kozyra. I suspect that you'd see something more aligned with your expectation for the 13ft range. I agree with your conclusions too.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Cadence rods are holding an open day at Packington fishery Coventry on the 27th January there will be a full rod n reel range to look at and there are some pegs on there to try them out, If a CS10 reel or CR10 rod is purchased on the day there is 20% off the price,