Cadence rods....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious if any FM members have seen any or actuaĺy used one?
The brand is certainly being pushed in anglers faces, facebook, angling forums, youtube etc. Looking at the rods in the numerous videos being churned out about them they don't look anything special, infact they look as thick as brush steels, especially in the longer rods!
I've noticed people are stooping to slagging off other well known manufaturers/brands in order to promote them.....even harping on about drennan acolytes rod breakages. That's gott'a be a plan to turn peoples attention away from drennan.......?

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm curious if any FM members have seen any or actuaĺy used one?
The brand is certainly being pushed in anglers faces, facebook, angling forums, youtube etc. Looking at the rods in the numerous videos being churned out about them they don't look anything special, infact they as thick as brush steels, especially in the longer rods!
I've noticed people even stooping to slagging off other well known manufaturers/brands in order to promote them.....even harping on about drennan acolytes rod breakages. That's gott'a be a plan to turn peoples attention away from drennan.......?

I'm pretty sure that Alex(silvers)has a pair of them,no doubt he will reply when he notices this thread.

thecrow

Reaction score
I had not heard of them until your post Ian, looking at all the reviews I can find they must be wonderful things or could it be that every review I ever read is just a glowing report on whatever is being reviewed/

I see that they wont be available to purchase in shops so how on earth are anglers meant to get any idea of the rods without picking one up in a tackle shop? they say it means the prices are 40/50 % cheaper than other equivalent rods but at the prices I have seen quoted there are rods just as good or even cheaper available in local tackle shops where customers can have a waggle.

mikench

Reaction score
I too will be interested in members comments but suspect if I buy another rod it will be either a Hardy or a Drennen !

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Tigger, surely saying they look "as thick as brush steels" is stooping to slag them off in the same way you mention others doing about Drennan rods?

And crow mentions " there are rods just as good". How do you know if you haven't seen one?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I've never heard of them either, no big deal though.

I agree in the need to have a waggle, there is very little written (or videos) these days about products that I believe; forums like this one do have genuine reviews, but you still can't beat a bit of a feel of your tackle before committing; shops provide a service, which you have to pay for - a decent shop is worth the extra.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, surely saying they look "as thick as brush steels" is stooping to slag them off in the same way you mention others doing about Drennan rods?

And crow mentions " there are rods just as good". How do you know if you haven't seen one?

Not really Peter, i'm only saying the obvious "that the rods look very thick in the blanks in the videos".
I'm not saying I wouldn't get one because they keep snapping.

I'm not trying to promote any brand but to tell lies about another product to promote another isn't exactly "fair play" now is it ?

thecrow

Reaction score

Because at the price being quoted £69 to £149 is awash with perfectly good rods at and below that price, all rods are built to a price many coming from the same manufacturers with different labels on them, is there room for more? who knows only time will tell that.

I hadn't seen a shaky mach 111 but I am perfectly happy with mine :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm idly curious to see what these rods are like. The seatbox I use is only available mail-order, and you get very good quality quite cheaply by cutting down costs. I think you can organise to see the rods via "Brand ambassadors" (ouch!) The seatbox guy put me in touch with a local user, who let me inspect his. James Robbins was until lately the Shakespeare consultant - responsible for good rods like the one you've got, Graham - and he's now involved with Cadence, which is a plus. Maybe we will have the chance to get quality rods a bit more cheaply via this retail route? I'm only vaguely interested. I'm happy enough with the rods I've got. I doubt I'd catch more or enjoy it more if I spent more on tackle. To be honest, I feel like I need access to better fishing, sometimes, rather than to better tackle.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The methods Cadence are using for selling, marketing and distributing (lack of) remind me somewhat of the gizmo hook tyer setup.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Neil Lawrence another shakespeare angler/consultant is apparently involved as well, cadence are reportedly going to be doing a long whip, this may sound good, but reports say it is take apart with a telescopic top 5 , which to me sounds rather bizarre, Cadence is an American firm branching out into the English tackle market, If I was thinking of buying one I would rather see and get the balance of one with a reel attached,

steve2

Reaction score
I have never bought any rod without giving it a waggle unfortunately this doesn't tell you much about a rod or reel. I have therefore ended up with more than my fair share of unsuitable tackle.
Do you have to go out for a days fishing with a Brand ambassador before seeing and buying?
It just seems a strange way of marketing tackle or is it just the American way.

mikench

Reaction score
When Binka and Tigger say a rod is " a good un" who am I to argue! They are not wrong either!;)

steve2

Reaction score
Just because someone say it's "a good un" doesn't mean it suits everybody.
I have lost track of the amount of films and books I have been told you must see or read and found them to be total rubbish in my eyes.

Not forgetting that any sponsored person will always say what their sponsor wants them to.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Just because someone say it's "a good un" doesn't mean it suits everybody.
I have lost track of the amount of films and books I have been told you must see or read and found them to be total rubbish in my eyes.

Thing to remember there is that if a Crittic says it is good it is a written Gaurentee that it is total **** that goes for all films thumbs up from critics barge pole fodder .

PG ...

silvers

Reaction score
Alan is correct, I bought a matching pair of 13ft #2 float rods back in October after borrowing one of James Robbin’s rods for a fortnight.
In that respect i’m Lucky as I fish the same match circuit and know James. There are quite a few about now on the Warks avon match circuit so I had a ‘waggle’ with a couple before I even borrowed one to use.
I’m very happy with my purchase, the rod has a greater span of capability than any of my previous (from fine wire 22 for decent roach up to playing good chub hard on forged 18s to 0.15).
I can’t compare to Drennan, normark or carbotec as i’ve not used any of those. I upgraded from Shakespeare Mach 3 and superteam LXL rods. The Cadence is a better rod than both of those .... and the Shakespeare excelsior I was using before that. It’s also better than the Tri-cast aristocrats that I used through the 90s and after.

I think the comments about acolyte breakages are from punters like us on other forums rather than the company or their ambassadors. I don’t think Neil Lawrence has anything to do with the company (or Shakespeare) .... although he has become very keen on them going by maggotdrowning forum.

I haven’t used or held any of the other rods in the range.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
in the last 6 months I have been in the process of replacing all my rods. In the past I have mainly used daiwa. But living in Oxford now the rods I have had access to the most to waggle and from friends has been drennan.

I've followed the cadence thread on maggotdrowners and I have been very tempted to buy some of there rods.....but the reason I would be doing it is because of the price of them compared to drennan acolytes. Good enough reason if I could try them out first, but I'm not able to and I've not seen any of them on the bank around my way yet.

So for that reason alone I've spent nearly 1k on acolytes. Will I regret having drennan rods over cadence I very much doubt it though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are folk out there that are hugely talented anglers that I have nothing but respect for, but I don't like the rods they endorse/use/recommend. They simply like different things to me. There's also a significant chance that the way, and the venues, they usually fish will have little in common with my venues and fishing.

Over the years, I've got to know which name anglers involvement in a rod is likely to mean I'll like it. Likewise, there are also unknown anglers that I'll listen to when they make a recommendation. I have occasionally been swayed by opinion that I wasn't entirely sure of, only to end up with rods that haven't suited me at all.

No one that I know for sure likes similar things in rods to me has said anything about Cadence rods yet. However, I've no idea whether the Cadence rods are any good, I've yet to see one. Unfortunately, I've got far too many good rods to have a real need to splash cash (even if I can get my money back) on rods I've never seen. I know it doesn't mean a rod is poor, but the raw weight and diameter figures I've seen haven't been enough to tempt me into taking a blind punt either.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So for that reason alone I've spent nearly 1k on acolytes. Will I regret having drennan rods over cadence I very much doubt it though.

Sounds like you spent ypur money wisely Jason, imo the acolyte rods are some of the best rods ever made!
Drennan have set standard with the acolytes that I very much doubt it's competitors will better for years to come, that's if they ever do!