Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Groundbait for trotting.

I haven't tried it but wouldn't a ball of sticky maggot do the trick, or would it "destick" the minute it hits the water?

Van den Eynde Turbo in natural or black for balling in,very heavy slightly sticky groundbait made for exactly what you are doing.
    If you want to make it break up more and have less feed you can add up to about 25% damp leam or molehill.
    If you want it really solid add Van den Eynde Secret up to 50% if the depth or flow increases.

[QUOTE=kenp
    If you want to make it break up more and have less feed you can add up to about 25% damp leam or molehill..[/QUOTE]

Steady on there, you're not chucking me in the river

But seriously, when people talk of "molehill" I presume that is simply sieved earth from the molehills? Can any be used or does it need to come from certain soil types - which must vary tremendously around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    Steady on there, you're not chucking me in the river

But seriously, when people talk of "molehill" I presume that is simply sieved earth from the molehills? Can any be used or does it need to come from certain soil types - which must vary tremendously around the country.

At the risk of too much information:

the thesis Soil... underestimated, misunderstood

the movie

A few years ago I had a small garden short on topsoil, so I used to keep a spade and a big bucket in the boot and pick up molehill soil as and when.
    I do the same for a while in the summer, and pick some up while the soil is dry and keep it in a bin in the shed for use with groundbait.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Be careful where you get it from, Dogs seem to take a liking to peeing on it for some reason, round here we use Terre de B&Q,

Assuming you have Pee free molehill just take a handful and squeeze fairly hard then rub the resulting ball between your hands over a bucket,if it breaks down to the same sort of consistency as it was before you squeezed it the soil is fine to add to groundbait after mixing, always after mixing never before.
    The same sort of test applies to groundbait after you mix it,if it is full of lumps riddle the lumps off before use with a standard maggot riddle if you need to wet it again before adding soil or using riddle again after wetting..

Moles never burrow in really clayey soil anyway too much like hard work.

Moles all along the riverbanks where i am. I've never understood how they don't drown when the river floods.

They might. How do you know that they did or didn't drown?

There might be lots of mole carcus's in little tunnels beneath your feet.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Who's making the molehill's the week after the flood eh, Mr Cholmondeley-Corker? Is it mole ghosts Mr Cholmondeley-Corker, is it?

Hey look everyone, this bloke believes in mole ghosts!

Well if indeed there are mole hills a week after the flood then I guess there were someo survivors that perhaps had the forsite to dig up hill out of harm's way.

But all I am saying is that there could be some casualties that were a bit dim or that were **** diggers.

Or it might be that there is some sort of mole hill pervert that puts the fresh mole hills there to fool you in a sort of, emptying soil bags down trouser legs sort of way like in the great escape.

You need to think these things through a bit more to ensure you don't miss some possibilities.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast