Chainsaws

caelan

Reaction score
I see that the local river that runs along side stanbourgh lake in Welwyn garden city herts had most of its trees cut down it is a disaster area now why they do this who knows ?

terry m

Reaction score
Could be a myriad of reasons. But very unlikely to be simply for the sake of it. Jeopardising the banks is a common reason, additionally Natural England often gets a big say in this. Best to ask the land owner who is sure to know but should not assume it is some numbnuts just being destructive.

Reaction score
I used to be a member of Hatfield das and they had a committee member with nickname of mad dog and on one work party he got hold of a chainsaw and deforested 200yds of river.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have seen sane people get a sort of tree blood lust once they get a chain saw in their hands, once they start they cannot stop. I have the power to destroy so that's what I am going to do mentality. I think sometimes this afflicts those in power.

mikench

Reaction score
Indeed! The term health and safety is used imho to justify things which cannot be justified! Ask the same council to prune overgrown trees on a footpath and it's a different story, no funds, not necessary, Not in the budget and so on!

thecrow

Reaction score
It could have been the EA contractors that have done it as its been going on all over the country, no trees no roots to hold banks together more erosion more silting and then comes the clamour for dredging.

rayner

Reaction score
Sheffield council are removing trees from Sheffield streets, it's OK though they are planting twigs in there place. :eek:

john step

Reaction score
Just noticed and read the link to the local newspaper.
If its just the poplars that lined the car park in profusion its no great loss.

At least you can now see the scags breaking into the cars.

The bad one

Reaction score
Strange old world, all of a sudden some members go from calling in a derogatory way those members who have an environmental bent "Tree Hugers" and Snowflakes to being Tree Hugers and Snowflakes :confused::confused::confused:

No seriously, the likelihood is the trees will regenerate and grow back quite quickly and vigorously, particularly if the trees are any kind of Salix (Willow), Alders, or poplars.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
Strange old world, all of a sudden some members go from calling in a derogatory way those members who have an environmental bent "Tree Hugers" and Snowflakes to being Tree Hugers and Snowflakes :confused::confused::confused:

No seriously, the likelihood is the trees will regenerate and grow back quite quickly and vigorously, particularly if the trees are any kind of Salix (Willow), Alders, or poplars.

ill add to that list, ash/beach/elder/rodo(all water lovers) will sprout 20 or more saplings from a live stump, cant beat natures will to regenerate, every thing thats been cut down will come back 10 fold unless the stump is killed and the roots dug out, .... take that from a perfectly sane:eek: multi chainsaw owning tree lover.:D....... (trees are my main fuel for my house, knocked and processed by me , about 12/15 cords of timber a year)