Books

associatedmatt

Reaction score
During these conditions of un settled weather and change of circumstances I find myself bit bored in evenings and the telly has failed to keep one occupied. Started to buy a few angling books to read .

Is there any good reads anyone can recommend? More into carp , tench , perch and still water fishing but chub and barbel to rivers will interest me too .

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
If you can get a copy of Casting at the sun its a good read, an older one by Peter wheat is The Fighting Barbel everything in it is still relevant today or Billy Lanes encyclopedia of float fishing is another that is still very relevant today.

iain t

Reaction score
I find most of the John Wilson and Graeme Pullen books very interesting and informative.

rich66

Reaction score
I’m reading Richard Walkers Stillwater Angling, old but worth reading. The bit about thermocline in water is quite interesting but leaves me with more questions?

steve2

Reaction score
A quick look along some of my book shelf, Big fish from Small Streams, The Pike of Broadlands, Big Roach, Fishing with **** Walker, Come fishing with Me. No need to Lie
All good reads

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are so many it is difficult to know where to start Matt . . .

Really almost anything penned by Chris Yates will definitely get you in the mood . . . . as will same of the great books by "BB" (Denys James Watkins-Pitchford) his Beside fishing book was my constant companion in the bivvy.

If you are looking for the so called "how to" books then I would thoroughly recommend those by Graham Marsden (one of the old Editors from FM) and Mark Wintle,

Looking on m bookshelves I also would recommend anything by Robin Armstrong who wad an author and artist and penned some lovely little books.

The problem is really that a "food book" is such a personal thing as what enjoy might not appeal to someone else.

mikench

Reaction score
Another vote for the books by BB ! Little Grey Men and Down the bright Stream are wonderful!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
The Osprey Specimen Group and Friends.

Few of the members on here in it.

And any Chris Yates book (as mentioned before)

Reaction score
Tony Miles is a great angling author,one I highly recommend,especially as he was a true all rounder.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
So basically all the well known anglers ?

What are Matt Hayes Books like ?

Wouldn't mind a copy of Mr crabtree but the price is silly

flightliner

Reaction score
Within the streams --- John Hillaby.
Any book by John Martin -- the old Trent Otter.
Tony Miles, anything by him.
A history of carp fishing by Kevin Clifford or the follow up --- A history of carp fishing revisited.

chrissh

Reaction score
So basically all the well known anglers ?

What are Matt Hayes Books like ?

Wouldn't mind a copy of Mr crabtree but the price is silly

Go on line and look for Mr Crabtree eBook .... amazon have some good used copies of fishing books

associatedmatt

Reaction score
BB books looks like children books or is it me ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have ordered 3 books john Bailey's complete guide to freshwater fishing , go fishing for carp by Graeme pullen and Matt Hayes coarse fishing . Already got a copy of go fishing for tench by Graeme pullen .

A few to keep me going for now !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have ordered 3 books john Bailey's complete guide to freshwater fishing , go fishing for carp by Graeme pullen and Matt Hayes coarse fishing . Already got a copy of go fishing for tench by Graeme pullen .

A few to keep me going for now !

Oh and "how to fish" by Chris Yates.

Watched the series passion for angling on YouTube and it's great !

Philip

Reaction score
To throw a few curve balls into the mix..

Not a book but if you can get hold of a series of articles by Alan Tomkins called "Blackwater" they are a very good read and like a book. Its about his time on Colnmere...I mention as I think you do a bit of Carping. I found it pretty inspiring.

Another good book that blends both technical and anecdotal is Mile & West “quest for Barbel” and also Tony miles book on Chub …both really good reads from which you can learn allot.

Another book I enjoyed was “Red letter days” which was nothing more than a collection of different true angling stories about people catching whoppers. A real easy to read pick up & put down type book

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have enough to keep me going for a while. But Its surprising how quick you can read

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Another vote for the books by BB ! Little Grey Men and Down the bright Stream are wonderful!

A truly superb author who understands the countryside. How he would feel today about the loss of mystique/romance in todays market driven world.

I still have the copy of The Lilttle Grey Men that my father bought me. My Fishing reading would definately include Wood Pool and Confessions of a Carp Fisher.