Mail order tackle from USA

Jim Murray

Reaction score
Have used Bass Pro in the past, but I'm now on the hunt for some waders that cost around $200. They are now quoting either $40 or 45% for shipping whichever is greater; so that's a problem even if you don't get hit with import duty....

Is there anywhere else that offers cheap(er) or even free shipping to here?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Quite a few years back, I'd often buy from the USA. However, the exchange rate was $2+ at the time. Since then, with shipping and import taxes, it's not been worthwhile. I've never found any North American company that offers free shipping to the UK.

ken more

Reaction score
I think HMRC charge VAT for most things from USA and some other Countries outside the EU, 20% springs to mind but i may be wrong.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think HMRC charge VAT for most things from USA and some other Countries outside the EU, 20% springs to mind but i may be wrong.
You're not. Anything imported from outside the EU is subject to import duty plus VAT at 20 %. To that you also have to factor in an admin fee for handling. It can add quite a lot to the cost.

floatfish

Reaction score
From what I was charged a while back , you will have to pay Cost of Waders, plus any insurance and shipping costs. Around $40.00+ . On top of that total you could be charged import Duty amount ?, then VAT at 20% on the total. The Post Office will hold your parcel till the charges and their handling fee,(was £8.50 a while back is paid). This has to be paid by you at a post office before they hand you the parcel. So it can be a bit expensive.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I also seem to recall that the 20% will be charged on the total value of the item, i.e. item cost plus the postage cost. That's before any handling fee is levied by the courier.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I also seem to recall that the 20% will be charged on the total value of the item, i.e. item cost plus the postage cost. That's before any handling fee is levied by the courier.

VAT is certainly levied on everything that goes before ie the "value for VAT" is cost of goods + freight+ins + duty. In other words the total value of the goods plus all associated costs involved in getting them to the point of entry to the UK [or EU] plus any import duty that may apply. Not sure about the post office admin fee....I think as that is charged separately post importation it isnt included in the total value upon which duty and VAT [which is also a duty] is levied. I could be wrong....my "work" RAM is seriously corrupted now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
VAT is certainly levied on everything that goes before ie the "value for VAT" is cost of goods + freight+ins + duty. In other words the total value of the goods plus all associated costs involved in getting them to the point of entry to the UK [or EU] plus any import duty that may apply. Not sure about the post office admin fee....I think as that is charged separately post importation it isnt included in the total value upon which duty and VAT [which is also a duty] is levied. I could be wrong....my "work" RAM is seriously corrupted now.

The last time I took the hit, the "handling" fee wasn't subject to import taxes. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the handling fee varies depending on the courier. I seem to remember paying a lot more than the £8.50 that RM/Parcelforce charge when the item came via UPS.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The last time I took the hit, the "handling" fee wasn't subject to import taxes. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the handling fee varies depending on the courier. I seem to remember paying a lot more than the £8.50 that RM/Parcelforce charge when the item came via UPS.
It wont be subject to any import charges as the "service" takes place after importation...but it might be subject to VAT in its own right. I honestly cant remember.

Either way it makes goods imported from outside the EU a lot more expensive than they might at first appear. It can still be worth it but you need to do the maths first.

mikench

Reaction score
In my experience it's hardly worth it. Some suppliers declare the item to be a gift or of nominal value which it may be but most do not for obvious reasons! When exchange rates made US items half price the risk was worth it as not all items are checked and assessed for vat and duties but today I wouldn't bother!

Jim Murray

Reaction score
ok I think I'll take the consensus that it's not really worth it any more, certainly for higher cost items. Suppose it might be worth a punt on smaller stuff like braid etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
ok I think I'll take the consensus that it's not really worth it any more, certainly for higher cost items. Suppose it might be worth a punt on smaller stuff like braid etc.

You may find that low cost items are equally lacking in viability by the time shipping costs are added to the equation. The exception may be items that simply cannot be obtained in the UK.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
All I would add is that, on balance, the smaller value items have a better chance of slipping past the ring of steel that is HMRC nowadays :eek:mg: and avoiding import charges...but the shipping costs might prove to be prohibitive in relation to the value of the goods. Depends how badly you want whatever it is and whether it can be sourced elsewhere.

floatfish

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I bought from California some bits, unobtainable in uk, which would
fill a big jiffy bag. The shipping postal cost a that time was 30$ . This plus C & E costs and
P.O charge made it a bit expensive. I bought enough to last a few years to keep costs down.
But even minimum shipping postal costs are not cheap.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
It can work. I ordered a stove from China just before Christmas because it was a highly rated model which was not available from the UK/EU other than "branded" at significantly over twice the price. Shipping was free and not only did it arrive within days it also sailed through customs uncharged. On that occasion the maths worked.....I just hope the stove does as I've not tried it yet !