Scalding pellets

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never tried scalding pellets but it got brought to my attention . Was planning to use on the method but want to break up after 1/2 hour ish . Was planning to use 4 and 6mm . Once the boiling water is over the pellets is it best to leave overnight in the water or drain water off after a given time ?

Don't want too much like a paste

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Never heard of that Matt! I feel there is far too much tinkering with bait and I suspect little actually works. Obviously the manufacturers of the multitudinous feeders, pellets, boilies, glugs, additives and the mags which promote them, wish us to believe otherwise!

rayner

Reaction score
I don't know if you have a special reason for wanting to scald pellets, I have scalded pellets when I needed large pellets softer when pole fishing, never for feeder fishing.
I find that pellets especially for method are better if they keep there shape, if you need a looser mix for using with method then ground bait with a few crushed pellets may work.
Generally pellets need to be sticky to able them to press firmly around the feeder, to work correctly the pellets need to brake down after the feeder as hit the bottom.
Bigger pellets soak OK with cold water they just take longer.
Too soft and they will explode when the feeder contacts the water, not good for method fishing.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
It's to get the pellets to be more sticky and last a longer cast in deeper water and to stay on the feeder for longer . I'm not match feeder fishibg casting every few minutes . It will be on gravel pits Pellets are high oil ones . I add horlics to my micro coarse pellets and stick better but still break off fairly soon under water .

I want the feeder to be attacked rather then loose it's feed in a few minutes .

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you scald pellets and leave them overnight, you'll end up with either fishmeal soup or a fairly homogenous mass, depending on how much water they are left in.

if I scald pellets, it a quick flash over with boiling water from a kettle. I pour of the excess water as soon as I've put the kettle down. The timings can be varied depending on the consistency you want to achieve and the type of pellets used. The harder and more oily the pellet is, the longer it'll have to be left. However, I wouldn't tend to use the likes of hard halibut or trout pellets in this way. You are probably better served by grinding such pellets into groundbait. Personally, it's too much hassle when halibut pellet groundbaits are freely available.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If you scald pellets and leave them overnight, you'll end up with either fishmeal soup or a fairly homogenous mass, depending on how much water they are left in.

if I scald pellets, it a quick flash over with boiling water from a kettle. I pour of the excess water as soon as I've put the kettle down. The timings can be varied depending on the consistency you want to achieve and the type of pellets used. The harder and more oily the pellet is, the longer it'll have to be left. However, I wouldn't tend to use the likes of hard halibut or trout pellets in this way. You are probably better served by grinding such pellets into groundbait. Personally, it's too much hassle when halibut pellet groundbaits are freely available.
So is it far better to grind pellets up and then scale then quickly ? Tip water off then mix around on the bank ?

With cold water Steve ( binka ) said a while ago cold soaking for 15 minutes and tip excess off and leave overnight to soften up fully works on big pellets but small went to a paste

sam vimes

Reaction score
So is it far better to grind pellets up and then scale then quickly ? Tip water off then mix around on the bank ?

With cold water Steve ( binka ) said a while ago cold soaking for 15 minutes and tip excess off and leave overnight to soften up fully works on big pellets but small went to a paste

No need to scald a ground (hard) pellet, just mix it as a stiff groundbait. Better still, just buy a halibut crush groundbait. Hard pellets are a PITA to use on a method feeder. Life is too short. If you feel that you just have to, you'd be better served by using PVA bags.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
No need to scald a ground (hard) pellet, just mix it as a stiff groundbait. Better still, just buy a halibut crush groundbait. Hard pellets are a PITA to use on a method feeder. Life is too short. If you feel that you just have to, you'd be better served by using PVA bags.
Yes I thought that , thought may try a hemp and halibut mix . Added vitalin may help make it sticky . Wanted to add a few particles in like some dead reds and micros. One way to find out !

Philip

Reaction score
Best way to scald pellets is to wag your finger at them & give them a firm talking to. :)

Ok that was terrible wasnt it. :eek:mg:

Maybe just me but I cant really see the point of scalding pellets, I would just go with a firm groundbait mix with a few pellets stuck in there...that way you get different break down times as well. Or just go with a PVA bag.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
If I'm fishing the method feeder and its deep water and want the feed to stay on till it hits the lakebed
use PV binder in my groundbait mix makes its quite stiff mix,
and it works if your using it just course pellets on the method when I'm casting out longer range..
prepare the pellets as normal and add some PV binder and let stand for a bit.

Reaction score
Scalding works best with halibut/high oil pellets,but methods and timing can vary greatly depending on which pellet you buy,the best I have used is is to pour just off the boil water onto your pellet,stirring until all the pellets are wet/glazed,then shutting bucket,or sealed container and leave for a few hours,maybe overnight,don't use too much water,I used them quite a lot in the feeder for barbel at one time on the Thames...

seth49

Reaction score
Used to make a paste from halibut pellets, scalded them poured the water of, then left them in a plastic bag overnight, then knead into a paste, good either wrapped round a boilie, or a pellet, or used on its own.

iain t

Reaction score
Would have thought if you let them soak overnight in the water you would end up with just dirty water. Also on the off chance, they are still in a pellet shape am sure the flavor would be washed out.

laguna

Reaction score
Hi oil in winter?
Assume you're targetting carp... you would do better with skrettings instead of high oil halibut/trout pellets in winter especially in a deep pit.
If any barbel and chub in there then yes they may prefer them, in which case scolding will make the pelllets surface soft and soluble which is what you will want to aim for.
Solubility being the key to attraction.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hi oil in winter?
Assume you're targetting carp... you would do better with skrettings instead of high oil halibut/trout pellets in winter especially in a deep pit.
If any barbel and chub in there then yes they may prefer them, in which case scolding will make the pelllets surface soft and soluble which is what you will want to aim for.
Solubility being the key to attraction.
Not just in winter in genral but will be mainly for in spring and summer and no its tench

Reaction score
If I used pellets in a feder on the Ribble then here's what I do.

When I arrive at the river the first thing I do before setting up is put my feed pellets in a tub. Then I cover them with river water. I then pour off the water.

By by the time I've set up the pellets have gone sticky enough to hold together.

They are sticky enough to squeeze into a cage feeder, method feeder or to ball in.

So no need to scald them.

Matt

flightliner

Reaction score
I scald the expanded type pellets for my hookbaits when Barbel fishing. I place the required amount in a fruitdish , place any additive I feel may enhance the attractiveness such as a colouring or flavour then pour on boiling water so it just comes level with the top of the pellets, any more is too much.
When the water is fully absorbed they are ready to use, do however at this point squeeze one or two between finger and thumb as a final check.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One or two have said use a pva bag,I am not sure if that is in place of the feeder, You could combine both by making your feeder up as you normally do then place inside a pva bag. That way you know your feed and feeder are in the same place instead of thinking if they have dislodged on impact,