Preston Carbonactive 12.9 heavy Float rod

iain t

Reaction score
Just acquired the above rod at the booty this morning. Ever since i sold my Accylite I've been without a float rod to use on my local rivers. I know most will say it's a bit short for trotting but the rivers i fish except for one are narrow. I will also be using it on stillwaters in the closed sesson. Now i use anything upto 6lb line with a pin when trotting depending on the weed and 3 to 4 on stillwaters.
Has anyone know any info on these rods and will it work for my type of fishing?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your rod. The only Preston Carbonactive in my 'armoury' is the original (c2000) 13' Carbonactive float rod and this a very much a through action rod and, although I enjoy using it on stills, it's the last thing I'd use for trotting on the rivers.....(not for the length but for the action)

mikench

Reaction score
stills, it's the last thing I'd use for trotting on the rivers.....(not for the length but for the action)

Why Jerry! Which rod action is either preferable per se for trotting and why or just preferable to you?:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
A fast tip action rod for positive control of line pick up and striking....................

iain t

Reaction score
My old Acolyte 14ft plus had a through action blank which i find just right for trotting

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would you put the Acolyte plus in this category?

Mike, the accy p,us has a superbly fast action but when under pressure will bend right through.
I've put alarming bends in mine when fishing swims for barbel and had to hit and hold them to prevent them getting under a snag. These fish where fighting much harder than they usually do as they had their noses literally several inches from the snag with the rods bent beyond expectations!

Reaction score
I used to have one of these rods,i found it great for carp,tench,possibly barbel,but what made me get rid was the fact I bounced to many mid-range sized fish,8-12oz roach,crucians,i believed the tip was just a bit too thick/pokey.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sounds ideal for bigger fish like barbel then. I cannot get past my two trotting rods the Acolyte plus, and the Daiwa spectron, the former being the cheaper. It will do it all just, but the Daiwa for me is the perfect barbel long trotting rod.

iain t

Reaction score
Had a few sessions now with the rod and only had a few 4/5lb Chub and a couple of Dace so far. Nothing heavy yet.