Tangles

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Im getting fed up wity tangles when feeder fishing with running cage or maggot feeder . When i use a lead not so much of a problem . Tried casting to the clip and stoping with my finger but still get tangles . Tried the feeder booms and still get problems . Helicopter set ups are fine though . But for chub i believe they prefer least resistance as possible

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
Have you tried a twisted loop.
I generally use a twisted loop when bomb fishing with a longer hooklength to prevent tangles.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Have you tried a twisted loop.
I generally use a twisted loop when bomb fishing with a longer hooklength to prevent tangles.
I have tried but no mater how i try i cant get the line to twist

thecrow

Reaction score
How far are you casting and whats in the feeder have you tried tucking your hook bait into the feeder? is there a big difference in hook length BS compared to your main line?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How far are you casting and whats in the feeder have you tried tucking your hook bait into the feeder? is there a big difference in hook length BS compared to your main line?
Over head casting and tuck the bait in thr bottom or top of feeder ? Mainline is 6lb and hooklink is 5lb bother are mono

john step

Reaction score
Try these. Enterprise adjuster stops. They kick the hooklength away on a running lead or feeder. You can also add another bead to make it kick out even more. These adjuster stops will hold the hooklength "out" away from mainline prior to casting.

View attachment 3806

B

binka

I'm a bit baffled by this Matt.

I rarely if ever encounter tangles and I'm wondering how you're casting, perhaps if you're whipping out the rig in which case a step up in gear and more of a gentle chuck might cure the problem?

Over head casting and tuck the bait in thr bottom or top of feeder ?

Have you tried not tucking the bait in the feeder?

This is a bit of a long shot but I always use a fixed rubber buffer bead and swivel from the mainline to the hooklink, the bead semi-covers the swivel and just leaves the bottom half free to rotate.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm a bit baffled by this Matt.

I rarely if ever encounter tangles and I'm wondering how you're casting, perhaps if you're whipping out the rig in which case a step up in gear and more of a gentle chuck might cure the problem?

Have you tried not tucking the bait in the feeder?

This is a bit of a long shot but I always use a fixed rubber buffer bead and swivel from the mainline to the hooklink, the bead semi-covers the swivel and just leaves the bottom half free to rotate.
Just a gentle cast normally . Should i be using flouro for hooklength ?

Last edited:
B

binka

Just a gentle cast normally . Should i be using flouro for hooklength ?

Not necessarily, I don't encounter problems with mono but I do use flouro for heli-rigs with short hooklinks due to its relative stiffness.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Quite often the tangles occur when you're winding in. The bait and hook spin round and tangle with the feeder.
Try winding in very slowly....

Philip

Reaction score
Don’t want to hijack Binkas diagnostics but just out of interest …whats the tangle your getting …is it the hooklink tangled back up along the mainline above the feeder or is it tanged around the feeder or something else ?

Also how is your feeder running on your line ? …is it directly on the line so the swivel of the feeder is running direct on you mainline or are you using a link so the feeder is attached to a link and the link is running on the line ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Don’t want to hijack Binkas diagnostics but just out of interest …whats the tangle your getting …is it the hooklink tangled back up along the mainline above the feeder or is it tanged around the feeder or something else ?

Also how is your feeder running on your line ? …is it directly on the line so the swivel of the feeder is running direct on you mainline or are you using a link so the feeder is attached to a link and the link is running on the line ?
Feeder is on a link . And hooklink tangling around itself in a twist and around the feeder

Philip

Reaction score
I would try ditching the link and see if that solves the problem. Look at John Steps post #6 ..try fishing the feeder direct on the line like the bomb in the photo & see it that helps.

In addition if the hooklink is twisting up on itself then you may also have something spinning on the retrive..double maggots both hooked through fat end for example can spin as you reel it in.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I will get some of those stops ordered . But i do find it odd with a lead im fine .

Philip

Reaction score
The stops will also help but the point I was making was not about the stops, it was about mounting the feeder direct on the line like the bomb in the photo and removing any long link.

A feeder offers a different surface area to a lead so it will fall through the water and retrive through the water differently to a bomb for example. That may be also why you see less tangles with a lead.