Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Spools

Default Re: Match Spools

Spare spools are slowly vanishing from the mass market.

So last week I purchased a Daiwa TDM (Team Daiwa MATCH) 2508 the smallest size, for my Drennan acolyte.

Both spools hold a stated 150m X 8lb (haven't the line diameter to hand) , now I've never been a match angler, but is there any use in match angling for 150m of 8lb bs in a small reel like that?

Which is a total pain as I will use it with lines 2 - 5lb and tend to buy in 100m spools - which is plenty enough line for all my use. Which means loads of faffing about with backing and a knot on the spool.

I bought a Diawa Ninja 3012a match reel last year, I bought 300m of 3lb line and thought it’d last me a couple of seasons, nope used the whole lot and a bit of backing to fill the spool. Most will be a complete waste really.

Blog Entries

3 million plus anglers in this country and manufacturers cant supply what we need. Spool takes 300 + metres of 5lb BS, so we cast maybe 20 metres on a commie or trot may be 60 meters. As for the Carp lads with big pit reels with 500 + metres of line, those carp must run some LOL

Opps my typo error with 3 million
    Last edited by dalesman; 21-02-2018 at 11:31.

I don't know where you get 3,000,000 from with just over 1,000,000+ licences sold. However, manufacturers CAN make shallow spools. It's no problem and some brands already include/offer them. But the importers/wholesalers in this country either deem them unnecessary or can't be bothered. If anyone pays enough money I am sure any manufacturer would make what is needed.

6. Default Re: Match Spools

Quote Originally Posted by kenpm View Post
    Spare spools are slowly vanishing from the mass market.

Agreed mate.
    It's one of the things i think they do to make the reel seem cheaper than it actually is
    When you add on the price of a spare spool (if you can find them) then that's the real price.
    In fact if there isn't a spare spool it's a deal breaker for me.

I have rather grave doubts that there are anywhere near three million anglers in the UK. Even if there are, only a fraction of them will be remotely concerned about the availability of shallow match spools. I've never heard carpers complaining about their big pit (sea reels really) having too large a capacity. They either just buy bulks spools of line and get on with it, use backing, or buy spools with line reducers. Very occasionally, braid spools are available. A fair number of the total number of anglers, fluff flingers, won't use fixed spool reels.

The harsh reality is that the demographic that's particularly bothered about shallow match spools is fairly small and diminishing. There are reels out there
    that fit the bill, but you have to look a bit harder to find them. Sometimes they are lurking within ranges, others they provided for by reducers. Whether you can tell that reducers are supplied (or available) is often not very clear. If, for whatever reason, you don't like the reels in question, you are pretty well stumped for buying new. I very much doubt that the bigger multinationals would be moved by entreaties from the small number of us that are bothered about shallow spools.

I like shallow spools well enough, but I tend to buy the rarer reels with shallow spools or reducers for the limited amount of fixed spool reel fishing I do. It's not much of a concern for centrepins. However, on the odd reel I own with unnecessarily deep spools, I've found the perfect use for Daiwa Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Why is why I'm still fishing Mitchell Matches with ultra shallow spools and 2lb line....
    "Loved the book Mark"
    I still have fond memories of Ivan and Roy's young ladies pushing a pram full of bottled "liquid refreshments" (Hic) (Hic) along the banks of the Nene to keep the Lads going in the Peterborough Hospitals Cup open way back in the day.

(Happy Days)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    So last week I purchased a Daiwa TDM (Team Daiwa MATCH) 2508 the smallest size, for my Drennan acolyte.
    I hope you have better line lay than I have! I thought it was me but line lay is poor! I have the 3012 size and it is a disappointing reel!

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I've found the perfect use for Daiwa Sensor.
    Another enlightened convert!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast