Match Spools

Richox12

Reaction score
I hope you have better line lay than I have! I thought it was me but line lay is poor! I have the 3012 size and it is a disappointing reel!

Probably needed a washer adding or subtracting on the driveshaft. That's what most are for - adjusting variation

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just picked up this Spro reel off the bay for £35, got a lovely shallow spool as do a lot of reels aimed at the lure fishing market.

image.jpeg

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've just picked up this Spro reel off the bay for £35, got a lovely shallow spool as do a lot of reels aimed at the lure fishing market.

View attachment 3858

Is that the Addiction Microcast? I keep looking at them, but I'm wary that they might be a little dinky for my liking. Which size did you get and what do you make of it? If I get one, it definitely won't be used for any kind of lure fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is the Addiction Microcast in 1000 size and yes it is extremely "dinky". A well made and nicely engineered reel with 9bb, brilliant value when you think they were selling for a rrp of about £45.

I'm fairly certain it's now a discontinued model, I was struggling to find one anywhere before one popped up on Ebay, never used and loaded with Fox braid for £35 inc. p and p.

Looks like it has been replaced by the "Skillz" model, however I have just noticed the old model in 3000 still available on the bay.

Only had one short session with the reel and it was smooth and behaved well.

mikench

Reaction score
Probably needed a washer adding or subtracting on the driveshaft. That's what most are for - adjusting variation

That's what I thought but it did not come with spare washers and I cannot find the part number on the bay.

mikench

Reaction score
It is the Addiction Microcast in 1000 size and yes it is extremely "dinky". A well made and nicely engineered reel with 9bb, brilliant value when you think they were selling for a rrp of about £45.

I'm fairly certain it's now a discontinued model, I was struggling to find one anywhere before one popped up on Ebay, never used and loaded with Fox braid for £35 inc. p and p.

Looks like it has been replaced by the "Skillz" model, however I have just noticed the old model in 3000 still available on the bay.

Only had one short session with the reel and it was smooth and behaved well.

I think you got a good buy there John!:)I fancy a small and light 1000 spinning reel for light lure work . I have an ABU 9ft spinning rod 20 to 60gm casting weight which is probably better for pike than small perch so may get a 7 ' lure rod! Any recommendations gratefully received!!

jimmcd

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Oka Epix Pros that had poor line lay. They needed a washer removed - but there were none to remove, a quick rub with a file on the spindle slot (on the spool) solved that issue. Again this model only had one spool & it took a bit of tracking down to find spares & they didn't need treated with the file.

rich66

Reaction score
I think you got a good buy there John!:)I fancy a small and light 1000 spinning reel for light lure work . I have an ABU 9ft spinning rod 20 to 60gm casting weight which is probably better for pike than small perch so may get a 7 ' lure rod! Any recommendations gratefully received!!

I got a 7ft Korum snapper jig rod 5-15g for Xmas. Nice rod for the money around £40
I’ve been Perch fishing with it a few times all I catch is pike ! But it handles them well.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it was a good buy too Mike, not so much because it was a good price but more the fact it's a reel no longer readily available in the UK .First saw it for sale on Facebook but by the time I came across it the guy had put it up for auction on eBay.

As far as a the lure rod is concerned, you've got the larger lure weights covered with your present rod so for the perch I'd go for something in the 3 to 12G range. A huge range available to you depending on how much you want to spend. Abu do some nice rods at the budget end of the market, Savage Gear somewhere in the middle with a host of Jap rods at the top end between £80 to £120.

It was pure co-incedence that I ended up with a Spro rod to go with the reel, nice rod and comes with a very nice travel case for when I'm either on a bus or on my bike wobbling along the tow path!

https://www.harrissportsmail.com/uk...medium=email&utm_source=product_subscriptions

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Right, for those bemoaning the lack of availability of shallow match spools, how shallow will do? Here's a pic of a rather large diameter Shimano spool from a 4000 size reel. One has the included reducer fitted, the other doesn't. As you aren't meant to fill right to the lip on theses spools, just to the edge of the chamfer, they should be shallow enough for most.
20180417_165338.jpg
The cheapest Shimano reel fitted with this type of spool, and supplied with reducers, is the Super GT RD (2500 or 4000). Not exactly the lightest reel in the world, but as the spool is oversized, you may be able to get away with a 2500 where you'd have previously used a 3000/4000.