Match Spools

sam vimes

Reaction score
Because the market for them is comparatively limited worldwide. Far more cost effective, from the manufacturers point of view, to make them one size fits all. The exceptions are usually from brands that are primarily focussed on the UK (Drennan). Alternatively, some of the multinationals offer standard spools with reducers. The only other prospect I see is the odd offer of shallow "braid spools".

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
As Sam says, the worldwide mass market is different to the relatively small UK market and with many seemingly buying 'off the shelf' models it's Hobson's Choice for them. It amazes me as I can't see that making a shallower alloy spool would cost that much anyway in tooling and if it was CNC made then virtually no tooling (but slower to make and higher unit cost I suspect).

dalesman

Reaction score
As Sam says, the worldwide mass market is different to the relatively small UK market and with many seemingly buying 'off the shelf' models it's Hobson's Choice for them. It amazes me as I can't see that making a shallower alloy spool would cost that much anyway in tooling and if it was CNC made then virtually no tooling (but slower to make and higher unit cost I suspect).

Back in the 70's through to about 2012 most reels were supplied with a shallow or some called a match spool and you going to a tackle shop and buy spools of the shelf.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, world markets etc etc. But I don't want a small reel with enough spool capacity for bonefish. It's another reason I look for "new" reels on eBay rather than in the shops. When I find companies adopting a "take it or leave it" attitude to customers in little angling backwaters, like Europe, I leave it. I only have 2 recent Shimanos (That's 2004, for me) made outside Japan - a couple of Twin Power XTRA 4000's bought for barbelling - and as well as their blingy "chrome" bits and clunky size, the line clips are so bad the line can hook on them on the cast (don't ask me how or why it goes backwards). No joke if you're chucking 3 or 4 oz of lead or feeder out. I had to glue the protruding plastic clips down. The spools hold about 250 yards of 8lb line, which is handy when you are......?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
prestons pxr pro's and pcr's give a happy medium...abu's closed face reels come with shallow spools as well

steve2

Reaction score
Most FS reels are designed with spinning and big fish angling in mind. Therefore no shallow spools are needed.

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
Most anglers these days have forgotten how to fish rivers with a float and 2 lb line, it's now a case of sitting on the banks of rivers like the Trent with two rods pointing skywards, reading the Angling Times and waiting for a double figure Barbel to hook itself and bend the rod double.
If more of the younger generation were brought up standing in the river a rod lengths from the bank for hours on end fishing "Casters" and loose feeding ten or so "Cooked Hemp" seeds regularly from pockets in your oversize bait apron, trotting a wire stemmed stick float with your 13" float rod, Mitchell "Match" reel fitted with a 100 yard maximum capacity 2 lb line on your "Ultra Shallow Match" spool, the thrill of a days fishing would not be lost on the younger generation and manufacturers would be forced to cater for proper anglers not the "Rod in the Sky" brigade or "Hook a Duck" so called match Anglers fishing for semi tame F1's ??? from water filed holes in farmers fields. Fishing is not hook it and pull it out as quick as you can so you can shove it in one of you FIVE keep nets to weigh in 300 lb of fish after 6 hours sitting on your posh tackle chair
Or at 73 an i missing something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Most anglers these days have forgotten how to fish rivers with a float and 2 lb line, it's now a case of sitting on the banks of rivers like the Trent with two rods pointing skywards, reading the Angling Times and waiting for a double figure Barbel to hook itself and bend the rod double.
If more of the younger generation were brought up standing in the river a rod lengths from the bank for hours on end fishing "Casters" and loose feeding ten or so "Cooked Hemp" seeds regularly from pockets in your oversize bait apron, trotting a wire stemmed stick float with your 13" float rod, Mitchell "Match" reel fitted with a 100 yard maximum capacity 2 lb line on your "Ultra Shallow Match" spool, the thrill of a days fishing would not be lost on the younger generation and manufacturers would be forced to cater for proper anglers not the "Rod in the Sky" brigade or "Hook a Duck" so called match Anglers fishing for semi tame F1's ??? from water filed holes in farmers fields. Fishing is not hook it and pull it out as quick as you can so you can shove it in one of you FIVE keep nets to weigh in 300 lb of fish after 6 hours sitting on your posh tackle chair
Or at 73 an i missing something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is why I'm still fishing Mitchell Matches with ultra shallow spools and 2lb line....

kenpm

Reaction score
Spare spools are slowly vanishing from the mass market.

Molehill

Reaction score
So last week I purchased a Daiwa TDM (Team Daiwa MATCH) 2508 the smallest size, for my Drennan acolyte.

Both spools hold a stated 150m X 8lb (haven't the line diameter to hand) , now I've never been a match angler, but is there any use in match angling for 150m of 8lb bs in a small reel like that?

Which is a total pain as I will use it with lines 2 - 5lb and tend to buy in 100m spools - which is plenty enough line for all my use. Which means loads of faffing about with backing and a knot on the spool.

rich66

Reaction score
I bought a Diawa Ninja 3012a match reel last year, I bought 300m of 3lb line and thought it’d last me a couple of seasons, nope used the whole lot and a bit of backing to fill the spool. Most will be a complete waste really.

dalesman

Reaction score
3 million plus anglers in this country and manufacturers cant supply what we need. Spool takes 300 + metres of 5lb BS, so we cast maybe 20 metres on a commie or trot may be 60 meters. As for the Carp lads with big pit reels with 500 + metres of line, those carp must run some LOL

Opps my typo error with 3 million

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
I don't know where you get 3,000,000 from with just over 1,000,000+ licences sold. However, manufacturers CAN make shallow spools. It's no problem and some brands already include/offer them. But the importers/wholesalers in this country either deem them unnecessary or can't be bothered. If anyone pays enough money I am sure any manufacturer would make what is needed.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Spare spools are slowly vanishing from the mass market.

Agreed mate.
It's one of the things i think they do to make the reel seem cheaper than it actually is
When you add on the price of a spare spool (if you can find them) then that's the real price.
In fact if there isn't a spare spool it's a deal breaker for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have rather grave doubts that there are anywhere near three million anglers in the UK. Even if there are, only a fraction of them will be remotely concerned about the availability of shallow match spools. I've never heard carpers complaining about their big pit (sea reels really) having too large a capacity. They either just buy bulks spools of line and get on with it, use backing, or buy spools with line reducers. Very occasionally, braid spools are available. A fair number of the total number of anglers, fluff flingers, won't use fixed spool reels.

The harsh reality is that the demographic that's particularly bothered about shallow match spools is fairly small and diminishing. There are reels out there
that fit the bill, but you have to look a bit harder to find them. Sometimes they are lurking within ranges, others they provided for by reducers. Whether you can tell that reducers are supplied (or available) is often not very clear. If, for whatever reason, you don't like the reels in question, you are pretty well stumped for buying new. I very much doubt that the bigger multinationals would be moved by entreaties from the small number of us that are bothered about shallow spools.

I like shallow spools well enough, but I tend to buy the rarer reels with shallow spools or reducers for the limited amount of fixed spool reel fishing I do. It's not much of a concern for centrepins. However, on the odd reel I own with unnecessarily deep spools, I've found the perfect use for Daiwa Sensor
.;):p

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
Why is why I'm still fishing Mitchell Matches with ultra shallow spools and 2lb line....

"Loved the book Mark"
I still have fond memories of Ivan and Roy's young ladies pushing a pram full of bottled "liquid refreshments" :beer: (Hic) :beer: (Hic) along the banks of the Nene to keep the Lads going in the Peterborough Hospitals Cup open way back in the day.

(Happy Days) :fish2:

Mike

mikench

Reaction score
So last week I purchased a Daiwa TDM (Team Daiwa MATCH) 2508 the smallest size, for my Drennan acolyte.

I hope you have better line lay than I have! I thought it was me but line lay is poor! I have the 3012 size and it is a disappointing reel!