Backing on reels.

Molehill

Reaction score
Leading on from the Match Spools thread, what do people use for backing on deep spools with light lines?

I've tended to put old line on the spool and then 100m of whatever (say 2-4lb bs). Now, I have always knotted them direct (double blood), but that leaves a bit of a bump which can catch if trotting a distance. Thinking about it there's no need to actually join the lines - I wouldn't have more than 100m if the spools were shallow enough anyway - but what alternatives are there?

Does anyone make up an arbour out of tape or cork, only use bulk spools and fill to the top (sensor lovers), do you join the backing/main lines and how? Any other good possibilities that I'm missing?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll mix and match as necessary. Most of the reels I own don't have massive capacities. However, with the odd one that does, I'll do different things depending on the capacity and the intended use.

I'm not averse to using backing and a joining knot. If I do, the knot will be deliberately wound to the back of the spool where it'll cause least disruption to the line lay. I'll also load enough mainline beyond the knot so that I'll never see it emerge in all but the most extreme circumstance. If there's any danger of seeing a joining knot in my normal fishing circumstances, I don't consider the amount of mainline being loaded to be enough. Other options are to partially fill the spool with backing then add a wrap of tape before adding the mainline on top with no knotted join between mainline and backing line. If the capacity is not too extreme, I'll simply invest in a bulk spool of line, even if 30-50% of it is unlikely to see the light of day.

Philip

Reaction score
I have padded out spools with electrical tape before but you need to have quite a bit of line on top of the tape to get an even line lay so maybe not the best solution for 100m of finer match type lines

I recall a mate making his own arbour out of cork and that worked well but was a bit of a pain to do. At the end the day a bulk spool of cheapbacking and a knot is probably the least worst solution. Out of interest I also use a full blood to join backing to mainline.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Not quite what's being asked but one tip i recently saw looked good if you have a reel with a spare spool. Put the amount of new line you want on first, say 100m, then tie on some cheap line for backing and fill the spool to the desired level. Then the whole thing can be reversed by reeling it onto the other spool, and everything will be the right way round and just the right amount.

Molehill

Reaction score
That's the method I use Dave, if I can find a spare spool somewhere! Actually I often bung it all on a centrepin as they hold any amount of line.

Regards knots Philip, that's what I do, but will try just tie a simple loop in the new line and lay it over the backing, I think a loop knot would have far less sticky-out tags than the double blood. I need to experiment, have plenty of rod building cork so might have a play with that as well.

Richox12

Reaction score
Whereas I would like shallow spools on all of my reels (50m would be a long way for me and usually 20m - 40m) I still don't find filling whatever I have as a pain as I only need to back out each spool once. Thereafter that's it I don't ever touch it again. Job done. I fill to whatever level is needed and then bind electrical tape over the top as I can stretch that, keep it tight and within the lip of the spools.

It's not as if I have to strip the whole lot off and do it all again if I'm changing lines.

If I've got a spool to the state that it takes 100m of 0.16mm perfectly and I want to load it with 0.18mm I do - but stop when it's right and if it means that spool has 90m or 95m I don't care - i'm never going to use 40/45m of it anyway - so long as it's loaded to the correct level.

Molehill

Reaction score
What colour electrical tape is best.......does it come in camo for my carp reels :eek:mg:

steve2

Reaction score
Never used it myself but as anyone tried using pipe insulation. Comes in many sizes so may fit spools.I have used it for rod protection and it works well.

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
What colour electrical tape is best.......does it come in camo for my carp reels :eek:mg:

word of warning for using electrical tape as a backing....in very hot weather the glue on the tape can melt and come through to the line sticking it to the spool.......happened to me many years ago:eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
If I have had a very deep spool to fill I have in the past used cheap sea fishing line topped off with 2/3 thick elastic bands cut from a bicycle innertube, it gives an even surface for the reel line to go on just trim the innertube to fit the width of the spool

rayner

Reaction score
All my spools are loaded with fly backing line, bulk spools are available from auction sites.
I don't use knots, just load the backing then hold the loose end with a smear of glue.

Philip

Reaction score
word of warning for using electrical tape as a backing....in very hot weather the glue on the tape can melt and come through to the line sticking it to the spool.......happened to me many years ago:eek:mg:

Yep ...you are clearly a man who has been there done that because I found exactly the same thing although what I tended to do was change the tape when I changed the line but have now just gone back to backing and a knot.

Never used it myself but as anyone tried using pipe insulation. Comes in many sizes so may fit spools.I have used it for rod protection and it works well.

Thats a good shout Steve...I recon that could work but it would probably need to be the better quality denser stuff, some of the cheaper ones are very soft and would probably buckle too much. ...might give it a go if I can find a suitable peice..

mikench

Reaction score
If you use Sensor a bulk spool costs a modest amount and is probably cheaper then backing tape/ line/ insulation tape etc. Having been converted I have gone off, drennan mono, guru pulseline and others! Thank you Tigger!:wh

Richox12

Reaction score

Maybe it's the type/quality of tape or amount as i've done it for just about 40 years and that's never happned

Richox12

Reaction score
If you use Sensor a bulk spool costs a modest amount and is probably cheaper then backing tape/ line/ insulation tape etc. Having been converted I have gone off, drennan mono, guru pulseline and others! Thank you Tigger!:wh

Ah but you only use the backing material once. Bulk line you'd use every time

dave m

Reaction score
im never one to waste anything and always try to be sensible when it comes to filling spools.
here os some pics of my barbel reels being backed up to about half capacity with some old mono, taped with some bright coloured tape so it is visible when the line is getting low, and then topped off with the good stuff.

repool 1.jpg
respool 2.jpg
respool 3.jpg
respool 4.jpg